Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: My first MP mold

My first MP mold

I've read the positive reports here on this forum & finally ordered one: a 6 cav. #068 clone in aluminum.

It came yesterday & exceeded all expectations. I have many other brands that are good, but this one is spectacular......a work of art.

I like my 4 cav. #068 SAECO, but my hand strength isn't what it was when I was younger. I have quite a few SAECO & Lyman ('70 era) 4 cav. molds that I may replace with MP aluminum items.

Henry

Boolit Buddy
    oldhenry, I don't have any of MP's aluminum molds but I have several of his brass molds and love them. The first one I got when I opened the box it was so pretty I didn't want to put a patina on it. Yes, they are heavy but they cast so nice. I want to have more of them but I have to make a choice, molds or eating, guess who won . I don't have a Accurate mold but check them out and NOE molds. I have a two cav. NOE 311299 and 314299 that cast like a dream.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I will say they are the best molds i own!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I will say they are the best molds i own!
    Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I have eighty some moulds (yeah, I know - CRAZY), and my Mihec molds are the BEST!

I have that #68 in aluminum and brass. I am a "Certified Old Fart" and really appreciate the light weight and casting efficiency of Mihec's aluminum molds. That's what I run in my .45 ACP revolvers and my 1911's. When I first received my Mihec 6 cavity aluminum mold for the #68, I got the mold up to heat and running well, then set aside a bullet from each cavity. After they cooled I weighed and measured them. They only varied .0002" (two tenths of a thousandth) in diameter and weighed within .2 of a grain. That is as good as it gets. They fall out of the mold with a light tap. I can empty my 22 lb RCBS pot in about one and a half hour. Reject rate is REALLY low, too.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Not as experienced as most here but MP molds brought me to CAstBoolits so I could buy and have loved everyone since then. Only one thats easier for me to cast with is my Original H&G 130 6-cav.

Also, want to give a shout out to Miha’s awesome service. I lost my set screw in one of my molds and he was nice enough to send me another one free of charge. Made a fan for life.

I have several of Mihec's (MP) molds both in 45 and 9mm, in brass and aluminum. They are just so easy to cast with, and as Dale53 mentioned, the boolits from the different cavities are almost identical in weight and size.
    I really believe that this guy is the best mold maker alive!

Boolit Buddy
    I have 6 MP molds and on 9 more group buys. They are great molds

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I have eighty some moulds (yeah, I know - CRAZY), and my Mihec molds are the BEST!

I have that #68 in aluminum and brass. I am a "Certified Old Fart" and really appreciate the light weight and casting efficiency of Mihec's aluminum molds. That's what I run in my .45 ACP revolvers and my 1911's. When I first received my Mihec 6 cavity aluminum mold for the #68, I got the mold up to heat and running well, then set aside a bullet from each cavity. After they cooled I weighed and measured them. They only varied .0002" (two tenths of a thousandth) in diameter and weighed within .2 of a grain. That is as good as it gets. They fall out of the mold with a light tap. I can empty my 22 lb RCBS pot in about one and a half hour. Reject rate is REALLY low, too.

FWIW
    Dale53
    Some of this is Your Fault. I have a copy of the Drawing from the first MP 503 clone group buy and It Has Your Name On It!

Excellent boolit! I have the 6c aluminum #503 too.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Who owns 80+ something molds? I have a rough tome keeping up with 10!

Boolit Master
    I cant wait to get my first mp im on group buys for 7 so far,they are all 4 cav brass hp handgun cal molds

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Who owns 80+ something molds? I have a rough tome keeping up with 10!
    ermm... I have well I should make good list but not making lie.. let say near 120 molds... Maybe more. 13 different manufacturers. It is kind of hobby or...Hobby out of control..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
    ermm... I have well I should make good list but not making lie.. let say near 120 molds... Maybe more. 13 different manufacturers. It is kind of hobby or...Hobby out of control..
    At least you have something to show for! I have 10 molds and been casting for 2 years so in 30 years I'll have 150 and have you beat LOL

(I doubt it)
    Last edited by Dieselhorses; 09-03-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: edit

Boolit Buddy
    Mp has taken everything great about the Lee 6 hole moulds and made them to a high quality standard with far better selection of profiles. I frequently think of getting rid of my moulds that don't have the sprue plate handle.

I just found MP-molds while ago. So i probably get few of those molds. Have couple of now and quality is awesome and price is very good. Also i'm in EU so shipping is fast and custom isn't bother me. And that Cramer hp system is my mind better than others have.

Boolit Master

Um, any of you find that casting with an MP mold doesn't require resizing? I went to run my 358's through and they kinda slipped right through, even with powder coat.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    Not as experienced as most here but MP molds brought me to CAstBoolits so I could buy and have loved everyone since then. Only one thats easier for me to cast with is my Original H&G 130 6-cav.

Also, want to give a shout out to Miha’s awesome service. I lost my set screw in one of my molds and he was nice enough to send me another one free of charge. Made a fan for life.
    I agree. I have several mp molds in brass and a H & G 130 6 cavity. I love my mp's , but the H & G is on another level. I cast for an hour straight the other day and from start to finish , every boollit was a keeper. Never had that happen before.
    Flydad

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

― Leonardo da Vinci

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    80+ molds now thats ok. thought i was a little crazy with 35.

Boolit Buddy

MP molds make it hard to go back to lee that's for sure, both aluminum and brass are just masterpieces I have ordered a couple that I don't really need but oh well!
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master

At the last count I was near 50 molds. Very few SC, a ton of DC and quite a few multi cavity Mihec creations.. The guality of his molds is just so much higher than the competition it is a joke to compare them. Yes the brass molds weigh a ton but produce fantastic boolits at a decent pace. I am now into PC for most of my boolits as I like the removed step of lubing and I like the colors and the clean dies and bores and decent accuracy that the PC process produces.

I can sort out my loadings with the slowest round producing amount of powder in a dark PC. A less dark blue or yellow will be a medium speed round and a full power loading will be bright orange silver or white. It's kinda important to feed the right ammo to my Garands so I can set the adjustible gas valve accordingly to prevent a bent op rod or malfunctions with a weak round or one that is too powerful. I no longer am a seeker or lover of high velocity and the resulting recoil and muzzle blast.

If I want some muzzle blast I just load a full power 454 Casull round in my Ruger and blast away until my wrist is numb. However down the velocity path lies decent accuracy near the 45 colt loading speeds and for fun I love shooting .45 ACP rounds in moonclips with that heavy Wolverine revolver (see https://www.wildwestguns.com/custom-guns/wolverine/) If you have the proper moonclip tools to load and unload the .45 fodder you will have an abundance of ammo to lay your hands on with this combo caliber revolver. It is a handful of steel and weighs heavily on the hip but if ya need something to stop a bear or moose from turning you into crow bait it will do the job. Throwing a 350 gr hard cast lead boolit at near 1500 FPS this loading will take the starch out of pretty much everything walking on this planet these days. At up to 4 bucks a round if bought at a LGS you will not be plinking a bunch of these rounds. I have found that just one cylinder full of the full boat ammo is about all the joy I want to handle for most days.

I will say that having shot my friends 500 S&W magnum more than a few times that snub nosed 2.5" tubed revolver is about all the gun I would ever want to shoot. It really hurts the inside of my palm and stings a lot. My most fearsome 454 Casull rounds do not approach that level of pain. Using a light boolit high velocity performance is not too bad at all on the body. The terminal ballistics are insane for 240 gr hard cast boolits that I have PC'd. The penetration is about 24" in gelatin and the round mushrooms out to near .75 caliber with little loss in weight and an insane wound channel.

This round is too much for self defense against a human since it will penetrate more than one person at a time if they are lined up correctly. The max expansion would occur in the last 8 or 10 inches and this means that BG no 1 would have a healthy hole punched in his corpus but BG No 2 would really have a problem. Not only would the round expand fully in his frame but some of the material from BG No 1 might naturally be blasted into BG No 2 and could really cause a problem of infection for a fella who has a friend with AIDS as BG No 1. With a large Bear or Moose this would really cause a problem with this amount of penetration and expansion for a heavy round.

They have told us that a 45-70 BPCR boolit could penetrate a Buffalo from stem to stern with a round of 400 grains at 1250 FPS then what would a 454 Casull full power round of 350 gr do to a Buffalo at 1550 FPS?

This handgun is at about the limit for a handgun and I for one will stop here.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.