Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: M1 Springfield Mil receiver barrel suggestion

Banned

M1 Springfield Mil receiver barrel suggestion

Looking for a replacement new barrel for a M1 '06 I have looked around some and am looking for an opinion of who was happy with XYZ manufacture. The rest of the rifle is in great condition . The barrel has been replaced before and the owner was shooting corrosive cartridges in it and never cleaned properly.

Thanks BIll

It's been 5 years ago now when I re-barreled 5 M1s with Criterion barrels that I picked up on sale. They perform very well. Odd thing is, I can't remember who I bought them from, but probably Midway or GPC. Doesn't matter at this late date. But as far as I know Criterion is still in business.
    I chambered them with a pull through reamer from Brownell's.

Banned

Thanks for the reamer tip! Found their web site and CMP has them for 190$. Best price so far.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Black Powder Bill; 08-24-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    CMP is good to deal with. We had great service with them/\.

Boolit Grand Master

Criterion is a good barrel actually the button rifled division of Krieger barrels. I have a garand with a medium heavy douglas cm barrel on it that was a real shooter. .308 Chambered 1-10 twist. Kriegers are good and contoured so the shoulders can be fitted as needed.

Boolit Master
    https://www.ammogarand.com/m1gabaus.html. I just installed one two weeks ago, installation was stress free, dimensions spot on. Shoulder timing and cylinder fit I would call perfect to (these) parts. Only have 64 down pipe but there were in a little circle at fifty. I have had pull through chamber reamer set for many years and they ain't any cheaper now. Proper tools and experience a BIG BIG plus here, I do not know your circumstances but if you do not have these please search out. Usually a buck to a buck and a quarter you can have installed and chamber cut.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    https://www.ammogarand.com/m1gabaus.html. I just installed one two weeks ago, installation was stress free, dimensions spot on. Shoulder timing and cylinder fit I would call perfect to (these) parts. Only have 64 down pipe but there were in a little circle at fifty. I have had pull through chamber reamer set for many years and they ain't any cheaper now. Proper tools and experience a BIG BIG plus here, I do not know your circumstances but if you do not have these please search out. Usually a buck to a buck and a quarter you can have installed and chamber cut.
    I'm pricing for a customer that comes into the shop. I let the young gunsmith do all the machine work it's all his stuff not mine.

I stock the Shelf with cartridges. Work on older firearms prefer muzzleloaders. Diagnose peoples troubles when their firearm can't group or shoot properly. Spend a lot of time researching looking for older parts.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

http://www.criterionbarrels.com/

Criterion was founded in response to demands of rifle builders and firearms manufacturers for quality button rifled match grade barrels at a reasonable cost. Initially a division of Krieger, Criterion is now completely independent with a separate facility, personnel, and ownership.

Boolit Master
    Criterion or Liberty

Criterion links are already listed above so here is one for the liberty https://shop.saternbarrels.net/produ...nd-replacement

I have used Criterion on other calibers with excellent results the same applies to Saterns' Liberty line.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    when I shot out the last barrel on my h & r. I put a medium weight citadel in 308. it does the job. I went with the navy conversion because at that time 06 brass was hard to find. .308 was every where.

Boolit Master
    Not sure, but check with the CMP as they may do the installation for a price. Can't hurt to ask. And they will do it right. If they do the install you won't be out the cost of the tooling $$. Frank

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Not sure, but check with the CMP as they may do the installation for a price. Can't hurt to ask. And they will do it right. If they do the install you won't be out the cost of the tooling $$. Frank
    Ah that's a great suggestion Frank I'll pass it on to the kid who runs the mill/lathe.

Thanks to all who posted links and history on the barrel makers. I save them all

Bill

Banned

Ha CMP will replace a barrel.for 199+75$ and shipping. In Alabama it's around a 6 month wait.

Boolit Master
    With /so many/ standard Garands out there already (and complete SG's @ $730 shipped), if I was rebarreling one I'd do it in .308 - a very popular config these days.

Boolit Buddy

If he plans to shoot as-issued JC Garand matches, keep it chambered for 30-06.

A lot of replacement barrels would work good I'm sure. I put a VAR Danish on mine a few years ago. Got it off the guy I bought the rifle from. He let me have it very cheap. It shoots great with the 2 or 3 loads that I've tried.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Most of the M1 barrels need to be bumped up so the sights will be in alignment. This process is not difficult but some care is required so the front sight is in alignment with the receiver. In the Marines we had a jig for changing out barrels on M14 rifles. The same jig would also work on M1 rifles.