RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Have QUIT Reaming Cylinder Throats! Exclusively Sunnen Hone Now

Vendor Sponsor

I Have QUIT Reaming Cylinder Throats! Exclusively Sunnen Hone Now

Yep, although I still use lots of reamers for other jobs, reaming cylinder throats is a thing of the past for me. After investing in the Sunnen hone two years ago to finish cylinders after reaming, I have discovered a few things that are not readily apparent and this caused me to rethink the whole operation.

First and most importantly, let's look at the metallurgical properties of cylinders. Let's use the Ruger Single Action revolver as an example, since this is the most frequently encountered cylinder. Afaik, Ruger uses long rods they get from the steel mill on rail cars to make cylinders. These rods are already heat treated by the steel maker, and they are made of an alloy that is very tough, it is granular, and fairly inconsistent in hardness. I have reamed cylinders that had 3 throats cut normally, and 3 that nearly stripped the shank off the reamer trying to turn it. Same results with other cylinders having all 6 throats excessively difficult to ream, and others having only 1 throat out of 6 be very difficult, and the others ream with no difficulty.

That being said, the throats that are quite difficult to ream, finish considerably smaller than the throats that cut normally with the reamer. I have even forced a .4525" reamer through a throat, only to have a .452" pin gage absolutely refuse to go into the throat that JUST passed the .4525" reamer through, albeit forcefully. How is this possible? Is there this much springback in the steel the cylinder is made of? There is certainly some, does the reamer "crush" as it is forced through the throat? Quite possibly, although it is made of high quality tool steel and hardened. Seems unlikely but I have documented this phenomenon more than just a few times in my shop and I honestly do not have a logical explanation for it.

It is for this reason, that it is physically impossible for a reamer to cut consistent sized throats in a cylinder where the hardness or heat treatment varies from throat to throat. You simply CANNOT achieve consistent throat diameters using the reamer as the only means of addressing the throat. You have to arrive at consistency by "finishing" the operation with an abrasive of some sort that can gradually enlarge the throat to the desired dimension while cleaning up tool marks left by the reamer.

Now I totally rely on the Sunnen hone to enlarge cylinder throats, it is slower but it is more precise and it will hone an egged hole round, it will hone a belled throat parallel, it is easy to "feel" the throat as the hone turns so I know where it is tighter and where to let the hone ride a little longer to even out the throat.

Some S&W cylinders have a weirdness where the chamfer area just ahead of the chamber is considerably harder than the rest of the throat, I can hone them and a pin gage will go into the throat 3/4 of the way but not all the way, and I have to ride the back of the throat on the stones to prevent belling the throat being the metal in front of the chamfer is softer and hones much quicker. You can feel this with the gage pins and you can feel it with the hone as it runs. Just an oddity I thought I would mention.

The Ruger cylinder where half of it cuts easy with the reamer and half cuts impossibly hard? Those harder throats take 3 and 4 times longer to hone them to final diameter than the softer throats on the other side of the same cylinder. You go slowly and start checking with smaller pin gages, once I arrive at a half thousandth under, I use that pin to gage the drag in the throats and at this point I want to even them out, hone a little bit more on any that are a little snug, until all the throats feel the same, then I take them out to the finished diameter and use the appropriate gage pin for the caliber to assure all the throats are the same size and the same amount of drag against the gage pin. This tells me that throats are usually within .0002" of each other, and that the customer will be very satisfied with the improvements and the gun will respond in like manner once boolits are sized to a light drag fit in the throats.

THIS ^^^^ level of consistency cannot be achieved with a reamer by itself!!!

I have two rather expensive dial bore gauges that I used in checking my work and I found out that I can feel with the drag against the gage pin the differences in throats that are more than a couple of tenths of a thousandth variation from each other. If there is the same amount of drag on the pin, or a boolit used as a gage, it is closer than any scientific equipment such as a Ransom Rest will be able to differentiate, much less firing from conventional positions or a rest.

In closing, the description given of Ruger cylinders is not meant as a criticism at all, in fact those cylinders are TOUGH, STRONG, and very well made! The inconsistencies in the hardness of the metal in no way compromises the safety or strength of those cylinders. If it did, Ruger would use a different process. The product they ship will withstand well in excess of +P pressures and so there is no inherrent danger in these cylinders as shipped from the factory and also no danger in having these cylinders "dimensionally corrected" for use with cast boolits.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-23-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Fascinating stuff. As one of your customers, I appreciate your efforts in this area.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Excellent info! Thanks from another happy repeat customer!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Good info Doug
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    Thank You Doug!

Boolit Master

I had to monitor my rate and depth of breathing after reading your first sentence (post title). Gad.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I had to monitor my rate and depth of breathing after reading your first sentence (post title). Gad.
    Haha! I first thought about just leaving it at "Quit reaming cylinder throats" and something told me don't you dare!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

HMMMM, Interesting
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

A man striving for a more perfect product for his customers.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Honing leaves a better surface finish, too. Long ago Sunnen published a study showing how a cut surface has a thin layer of damaged grain structure that honing eliminates. The auto powertrain industry where I used to work has known this for many years.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Mold
    I'm really looking forward to sending you my GP100 cylinder this winter after reading this thread!

Boolit Master

There I thought that I missed the boat have been wanting to send you my 41 magnum for sum time
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Nice post Doug. As one of your customers of both cylinder work (Ruger single action) and 1911 barrels (45acp Commander), I am impressed with the level of dedication and care that you have to make sure we get the best possible and consistent results

Will

Doug, I'm curious. The more I read, the more I get the notion that Rugers are notorious for having random throat diameters - moreso that Colts or S&Ws.

I'm not a pistol collector - my only serious revolvers other than .22s are one Colt .38, and a couple of .357 Smiths. None of which had deviant throats. Even the wartime Enfield (Webley) I bought an estate auction didn't deviate but a couple of tenths.

Is this indeed an endemic Ruger problem?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy

Same here luckydog. I gotta get mine sent.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Doug, I'm curious. The more I read, the more I get the notion that Rugers are notorious for having random throat diameters - moreso that Colts or S&Ws.

I'm not a pistol collector - my only serious revolvers other than .22s are one Colt .38, and a couple of .357 Smiths. None of which had deviant throats. Even the wartime Enfield (Webley) I bought an estate auction didn't deviate but a couple of tenths.

Is this indeed an endemic Ruger problem?
    It's not so much of a problem, as it is where Ruger draws the line on how much they will invest in a product before it becomes unprofitable. Making cylinders is costly, you basically have to take a solid rod and carve it into a cylinder with several operations. The steel they use for this is some tough stuff, it has to be. Look how much punishment those guns soak up!

They used to use a Hitachi machine with 3 chucks which held 3 reamers. As those reamer wore, they would replace the worst one when it became too worn and too small to be serviceable, so now you have two reamers of varying stages of wear, i.e. cutting throats of different sizes, and now you have a new one that cuts larger than the worn ones so they would plunge and cut 3 throats, index over one hole and cut the other 3, now you have a cylinder with 3 pairs of throats with 3 different diameters. This is typical for many years of production.

The newer medium frame guns seem to fare much better, I don't know the process Ruger uses to make these so I can't comment on how they are made but throats are much more uniform than before but still I see plenty with one smaller throat, and the ones that are even are more closer to a j-word bullet's size and a tad bit small for best results with cast boolits.

In a perfect world, we would want a cast boolit that is .001" to .002" greater than groove diameter of the barrel, and a cylinder with throats that are .0005" to .001" greater than boolit diameter. Also the softer you go with alloy, the more malleable the boolit will be, and cylinder throats can be closer to groove diameter and not suffer any issues shooting cast because the boolit will obturate and seal as it travels. This is the whole point of correcting cylinder throats, so we can size the boolit so it will seal in the bore efficiently without the throats resizing the boolit as it is fired.

That explains how they get that way - multiple reamers of different sizes used on one cylinder. Although how you get three spindles that close together is a subject that would interest me. (I did half of my career in machine tools before I went to Zeiss.) My real question was whether you see that kind of variance in S&Ws or Colts. I know my Officer's Model .38 has all six throats so close that you cannot tell them apart even with pins, but the O.M. obviously woulds have gotten special attention, so it tells us little or nothing about the run-of-the-bog product they were putting out.

Did you work for Ruger, to know their process in such detail? I had the N.H. plant as a client in the '80s, but never went near that part.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Mold
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    A man striving for a more perfect product for his customers.
    How business should be done, but it's sadly not found a lot of places anymore. Thanks for keeping it up Doug- wish there were more like you.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    A Sunnen Hone?

You got my ears perked up on that one!

Last year I bought a couple of big horizontal mills cheap and the guy threw in a model 1600 for $25.

It only has one mandrel and a set of mostly worn out stones but it sure impresses me even at that.

Don’t get the idea that I think I am up to even honing my cylinders much less than anyone else’s but only chimed in to second that Sunnen makes some fine as frog hair’s equipment and has done so for many years now!

Way to go Doug Guy!

Three44s