Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pedersoli/Uberti vs. Shiloh Sharps

Boolit Master
    Tom Herman
    If you want to trade that 50/70 trap door for a roller I have a couple nice ones.
    I have two Spanish contract arsenal reconditioned with about mint bores. Great shooters in 43 Rem Spanish, not reformado. I can also supply some brass and dies.
    BIC/BS
    Last edited by Bullshop; 10-01-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    I still am infatuated with the Shiloh like a kid with a crush on a school girl.
    Well I think this is going to end up like my multiple Puma aquisitions where I just threw up my hands and said fkit (I never swear) and ended up bitting it and buying Wincherster/Miroku 1892's.
    Grrrr!!!! Man that's alot a money for a rifle to stuff into a scabbard on some honary horse flesh. Not to say I will probably beat the crap out of it toting it around in the woods.
    My spirit won't rest until I get a Shiloh Sharps. Must be one of those ancestrial thing coming back to haunt me. This is not a phase by the way it. This period rifle thing has been a rain cloud above me awaiting to burst my whole life.
    OK OK I'm have weakend at the knees and caveing. lol
    And Looks like I sold another one of my AR-10's.
    So I'm going for the Shiloh Sharps.
    Thanks all for your input.

This fine rifle was just added to the buy sell section here guys.
    Probably won't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by HEAD0001 View Post
    If you are interested in a Pedersoli. Let me know. I have one I am going to sell this fall. The model is "The Boss". You can go to the Pedersoli web site for all the particulars. Here are a couple of pictures of the rifle. Tom.

Had a great and informative conversation with Jon K last night. Thanks a bunch Jon and looking forward to more chats.

Boolit Master
    You'll be happier with the SHILOH in years to come.

If you're going to carry it on a horse, start investigating some options on scabbards...or a hard case that can be tied to the saddle. I've had horses for 40+ years and they go out of their way to screw up your rifle...a standard style scabbard is suitable for a carbine/short rifle...not a long barreled single shot. If you have access to BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE NEWS back issues, IIRC, Steve Garbe did an article about this and made some suggestions. Basically, carry it in a case with a shoulder strap, over your shoulder. Crossways on the saddle horn looks classic, but it is hazardous to your gun if the old pony starts jumping around. AND don't even consider shooting off the horse...or very close to it!

Any horse is the lineal descendent of a million generations that were low on the food chain. The ones that ran first and then looked over their shoulder lived to raise another generation of cowards. AND they aren't "the sharpest tools in the shed."

Quote Originally Posted by EDK View Post

Any horse is the lineal descendent of a million generations that were low on the food chain. The ones that ran first and then looked over their shoulder lived to raise another generation of cowards. AND they aren't "the sharpest tools in the shed."

Very much agreed EDK! Yes I to have a love/hate relationship with horses. Most horses think every little noise is a horse eater. But But! if for some reason services or fuel etc... come to an end and most are living in the proverbial stone age, the wife and I have chose to live in the 1860's. lol
    We did fare pretty well in the 1860's with Sharps Rifles and lever guns with a simple lead bullet. The settlers of this country manage to genocide a race of indigenous peoples and and almost brought to extinction before it's time a latent prehistoric mammal with those said guns.

Here are the scabbard although I will probably make them myself because of needing so many
    http://www.rankinsaddlery.com/images/Picture%201859.jpg

http://www.rankinsaddlery.com/scabbards_slings.htm

ref. #: rs-9

Old West Rifle Scabbard of late 1890's design with floral carving and Ringo style border tooling. This rifle case was built for an 1874 C. Sharps Arms with a 32" barrel. This rifle was very popular with buffalo hunters and long range shooters of the day, and has regained popularity again. This scabbard is profusely carved with fine floral carvings on bottom and top of case. This large case can also be used for large Winchester lever guns and large Marlin lever guns.

$475 as shown

$260 with 1 line border tooling and without floral carving
    Last edited by Just Duke; 10-01-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Sharps??

Hmmmm......let's see now....I've got a Pedersoli .45/110 Boss Gun with 34" barrel that shoots PP real well, a Pedersoli with new 34" Badger barrel in .50/90, and a Pedersoli Buffalo Rifle with 28" barrel in .45/70....ALL FOR SALE!

Why?

I'm bumping on 70 by golly and I just don't feel like totin 'em around anymore!

All in excellent shape, residing in my safe!

Quote Originally Posted by FPMIII View Post
    a Pedersoli with new 34" Badger barrel in .50/90,
    Pics please. What grain weight max can you shoot in this and are the moulds included FPM.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Pics please. What grain weight max can you shoot in this and are the moulds included FPM.
    DUKE NUKEM

One of my favorite bullets is a Brooks 720 gr. bullet and that's heavy enough!

No! The mould doesn't go!

I'll get pics soon! Mighty hard to get good pics of a firearm; you're either too far off....or too close!

Quote Originally Posted by FPMIII View Post
    DUKE NUKEM

One of my favorite bullets is a Brooks 720 gr. bullet and that's heavy enough!

No! The mould doesn't go!

I'll get pics soon! Mighty hard to get good pics of a firearm; you're either too far off....or too close!
    Sounds goods.

In Remembrance
    Duke,
    You go for whatever tightens the knots in your string...

But, if I was in your position (which I ain't), I would be asking for pics of that 45/110 Boss gun.
    (As a matter of fact, I would probably say 'to hell with the pictures' and just make the deal.)
    http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/img/Arms/S.770.jpg
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 10-09-2008 at 10:43 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Excellent thread...

I originally started out over twenty years ago with a Pedersoli 1874 sporter in 45-90 which I still have and it's still going strong and shooting well in the hands of my better half. About a year after buying it I decided I wanted a Shiloh after watching that movie with Tom Selleck, the name slips my mind!

So after ordering it the long wait began, it was a Hartford Sporter with an antique finish. Meanwhile my boss at the time came back from the shot show with a little black and white leaflet from Ballard Rifle & Cartridge. He was singing their praises with regard to fit and finish and said why not give them a call.

After phoning them and being very impressed with how friendly they were and the fact that they could answer the 'how long is delivery' question I place an order. Sure enough 6 months later the rifle arrived in the UK and it was everything I expected it to be, just perfect. For one reason or another I didn't shoot it for three or four years due to work and then changing countries, all this time the Shiloh was still on order. Just over four years and then bingo, I contacted them and it was ready....to go into production...I canceled the order.

Since getting the Ballard, I have seen one or two Shiloh and a couple of C.Sharps rifles. I would say from what I have seen, the C.Sharps seem very nicely finished even in their standard format and they have excellent line true to the original. The most recent Shiloh I have seen was a real shock. The wood fit was no better than Pedersoli, the matte barrel made the rifle look plain and even though the wood was nice looking (semi-fancy) I was surprised by the level of finish on it. The grain had not even being filled before oiling by the looks of it. The model was a 'Quigley' by the way but without having the gold initials added on the side. The pewter tip was badly fitted on the left hand-side also, the wood wasn't flush and the tip looked as though it hadn't been cut cleanly.

From what I gather to get a Shiloh or C.Sharps looking something special, you need to order quite a few extras like having the barrel and screws polished and paying for the extra AA finishing on the woodwork. The standard case hardened finish looks a little odd so maybe the proper bone case hardening would improve the overall look, but so far I have not seen one with that done.

Pedersoli do make a good shootable 1874 and they can compete with the best of the custom rifles out there in the accuracy stakes with the right load. But that said I'd always pick a US built rifle over the Italian built rifles every time, the main reason for me being the lock work tends to be a little poor due to badly hardened parts and the screws seem to be made of pot metal. My other beef with them is the case hardening, I'm not sure how they do it (blowtorch) but it looks nothing like the real thing.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but as it's only my second I'm sure I'll have run out of steam by the third.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123