Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedersoli/Uberti vs. Shiloh Sharps

Pedersoli/Uberti vs. Shiloh Sharps

Why am I buying a $3000.00 rifle instead of a $800.00 to $1000.00 rifle?
    Is the Shiloh Sharps that good that I really need to spend that much?
    Would a Pedersoli/Uberti not shoot just as well?
    What model would one go with? I like the Shiloh Sharps 1894 Sporter with a pistol grip and pewter tip so does Pedersoli/Uberti make anything close?
    TIA,
    Duke
    Last edited by Just Duke; 09-23-2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Shiloh sharps are beautifully made rifles with excellent fit and finish. Pedersoli have superb barrels with good metal work, especially on the action, and good inletting of the stocks. Stock finish is spotty and the wood on the standard models often is so-so but acceptable. Uberti sharps are made by Pedersoli. Uberti makes a nice High Wall but Uberti barrels have a rather poor reputation.

Pride of ownership - Shiloh
    Best quality to cost - Pedersoli

I have a Pedersoli and it is accurate and well made.

Jerry Liles

http://www.csharpsarms.com/1874_hartford.php

I would have a long hard look at C-Sharps. They make a rifle as good or better than anyone.

I own a Pedersoli and it shoots fine. I use mine for hunting and shooting, not matches. I am very hard on it and it has held up fine through the years.

DSC_0047.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0047.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Have you seen the limited edition creedmore match rifles from Pedersoli ? Only 500 being made and they are beautiful? The guns are gorgeous but I dont think too much of thier sights. Check um out, bet ya like um!
    BIC/BS

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You must be tacking on quite a bit of stuff to get a Shilo to 3k?
    Last I checked the Pedersoli/uberti 74's were the same price or a little more than the basic Shilo.
    Add another vote for CSharps rifles as being top quality, and if they don't have one you want on hand it don't take them but around 30-90 days to get the one you want.

Either of the Big Timber made rifles are a better value than anything the Italians can send over, both in quality, and should you decide you don't want a Sharps anymore in resale value. Take a look around at variuos guns for sale places, the Big Timber rifles don't loose much if any value, the Italians will drop a 1/4 just packing it out the door of the slobber shop.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    You must be tacking on quite a bit of stuff to get a Shilo to 3k?
    Last I checked the Pedersoli/uberti 74's were the same price or a little more than the basic Shilo.
    Add another vote for CSharps rifles as being top quality, and if they don't have one you want on hand it don't take them but around 30-90 days to get the one you want.

Either of the Big Timber made rifles are a better value than anything the Italians can send over, both in quality, and should you decide you don't want a Sharps anymore in resale value. Take a look around at variuos guns for sale places, the Big Timber rifles don't loose much if any value, the Italians will drop a 1/4 just packing it out the door of the slobber shop.
    I was looking at the 1874 SPORTER #1 Metal butt plate, pewter tip and #2 grade stock but now I am oogling something more traditional like the 1874 SPORTER #3 Metal butt plate, pewter tip and standard grade stock. My cost on one this is $2400.00
    Last edited by Just Duke; 09-23-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Whenever I can i try to make sure that my money goes to an American craftsman. But I guess that Walmart and Hi Point are American companies. (no offense to any employees of these campanies)

Duke according to the 2008 catalog , the #3 just as you describe is listed at 1657 plus fet. Pedersoli's version (sort of) of the same rifle is 13sumthin plus shipping when ordered from Cabela's. CSA's box stock 74's are 17and change. For me the choice is simple, but some folks still think wrongly think they can't afford a Big Timber made rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Duke according to the 2008 catalog , the #3 just as you describe is listed at 1657 plus fet. Pedersoli's version (sort of) of the same rifle is 13sumthin plus shipping when ordered from Cabela's. CSA's box stock 74's are 17and change. For me the choice is simple, but some folks still think wrongly think they can't afford a Big Timber made rifle.
    I just called them and they said a year or so wait.

C-SHARPS!!!!-go there! The factory is just down the road from Shiloh, (you can see one factory from the other). The people at C-sharps are just a LOT nicer to deal with! Since Quigley those shiloh people have been so holy'r than thow....on & on ...rant rant ...OK not going to go there, ...yes I live in Montana and have been to both factories.

If you have $3000 to spend don't forget to look at The Rifle Smith (Axtel) from Sheridan MT, Carmen makes a SWEET rifle! Been there too. The quality is perfect.

What ever CO. you choose, the Sharps is just So much fun! It's a desease.

Boolit Buddy
    Not to change the thread too far but what are the educated opinions concerning Tristar or Taylor Sharps. I've seen some retail for right around a grand. Are they good, bad or so-so?

C Sharps was $100.00 cheaper but they said I still have to wait 3 months .

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    C Sharps was $100.00 cheaper but they said I still have to wait 3 months .
    3 months ain't nutin, hell boy you've been this long without a Sharps , 3 months ( if it takes that long, mine took 30 days from order to delivery) will go by pretty fast. Even if you waited for a Shiloh its well worth the wait.
    Don't forget to check out CSA's available list at their web.

Quote Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
    Not to change the thread too far but what are the educated opinions concerning Tristar or Taylor Sharps. I've seen some retail for right around a grand. Are they good, bad or so-so?
    Don't know about the tristar , but with just a bit over a year of competition shooting and somewhere under 3k rounds the internals of the lock in my Taylors started breaking. They don't give a whip if you need those parts for an upcoming shoot in 2 weeks or not.
    That was after I had to loctite all the screws in the action and trigger (including the one that holds the hammer on) so they wouldn't completely back out every 20 rounds or so.
    The barrel is stamped 45-70 , but the chamber will almost chamber a full length 45-90. Once I started trimming 90 cases down to 2.25 the leading thing eased up quite a bit.
    Go ahead and "save" the money by not buying a Big Timber built gun.

Boolit Master

If I had the money to spend, I'd likely go for a C-Sharps mainly cause they are made in USA.

Since I didn't have the money, I bought a Pedersoli from Cabelas on sale a good many years ago. I haven't been disappointed in the rifle at all. It is chambered for 40-65 and I'd guess I've put a couple thousand rounds through it. Not any problems to date. One day I'd like to get another in 45-70 but that'll have to wait til the cash is available. Bottom line is it is your money but I can't see you going wrong with any of the three manufacturers.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
    what are the educated opinions concerning Tristar or Taylor Sharps.
    Both Taylor's and Tristar are importers...not makers.
    Tristar sells the Sharps-pattern rifles made by Pedretti and Sons, which are marketed by Tristar, I.A.B., and others.

Taylor's handles the rifles made by Armi Sport.

Pedretti guns would probably fall into the category of 'safe to fire'. But people have complained about action parts wearing out quickly, or breaking, which raises suspicions about the temper of the steel. They recently came out with their 'Hartford' model, which has a normal-looking 1874 hammer. Earlier rifles all have that hump-backed hammer reminisent of the ones used in the percussion-to-cartridge conversions.

It is hoped that the 'Hartfords' are of better overall quality than the predecessors.

Armi Sport rifles are 'pretty good to very good'...and you can't know which you will get. The 'very good' ones can (perhaps) challenge Pedersoli in accuracy, but you have to be lucky to get one. The rest are fine for the casual Sharps shooter, and probably even suitable for the hunter.
    The Armi Sport models closely copy those of Pedersoli...and are difficult to tell apart when looking at pictures. But the lever has a slightly lower 'sag' below the triggers...which is detectable if you have looked at a lot of them.

I could be tempted to buy an Armi Sport, if it was used and the owner said it was one of the very good ones. Of course, you would have to trust that the seller knows the difference between good and very good...and that he would tell the truth.

For a look at some of the best Pedersoli prices, look at Dixie Gun Works.
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advance...=M1874+or+1874

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 09-23-2008 at 02:28 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

Have seen handled and shot most of the reproduction Sharps rifles and so far 4 original guns.
    My personal gun is a Pedersoli #1 sporter and my last one was a Billy Dixon model. IMHO the Pedersoli is every bit as good or better than the original Sharps. The Shiloh is better yet but unless they have something on the rack you like you'll have to wait for it. The C Sharps is probably just as nice as the Shiloh and is more available. Check Cabela's gun library as they usually have a few C Sharps trade in's. Do not under any circumstance get a Pedratti or a IAB unless you like working on guns and have lots of tools. I am fixing these constantly, soft parts too heavy and poorly made springs bad chambers ect. In actual shooting I have found that my Pedersoli will shoot almost as good as the expensive guns at 300 yards. Using a C Sharps in 45-70 and my gun we shot black powder loads at 300 yards and over all my groups were about 1 1/2" larger with the Pedersoli, but this could have been just a case of the C Sharps liking the load better. For hunting and informal or entry level target shooting the Pedersoli will get the job done.

What I would wan't in a Sharps rifle...
    First off make sure that the lever spring is a flat spring NOT the coil and ball in the cheaper copies. The first time you take the block out anywhere the ball will get lost and if you do it at the range the spring will be gone too! Get one with a bushed firing pin if you intend to shoot smokless at all and make sure the gun has a one piece firing pin. The cheaper guns are two pieces press together and WILL give you trouble. I would like a Sharps with the Fruend double extractors and I will make a set for my gun some day. The extractor was the weak link in the sharps the same as lack of camming was with the rolly block. Make sure the parts are properly hardened, this is hard to check in the shop so you need to do some research. If you are a real history buff spend the money because NONE of the Ities has gotten the stock shaped right.

Now to Pi$$ off the Sharps lovers...
    The original Sharps rifles were no great shakes. They were fitted and finished no better than any other gun in the time period. They had a lousy firing pin system and they pierced primers and leaked gas right into your eye. They were a complicated design that made the best of using up mil surp leftovers. The extractor design was faulty and the early chamber design was strange to say the least.

I LOVE "EM !

Boolit Grand Master

Almost forgot, be sure the breech block has a gas plate!

Boolit Grand Master

Up for bid is a blued full octagon barrel for a replica SHARPS single shot sporting rifle which is marked TAYLOR'S & CO.INC.,WINCHESTER-VA.,ARMI SPORT ITALY cal.40/65. [ATTENTION: Bore is actually .45 caliber & rifled with the chamber cut for the 40/65 cartridge]. Barrel is approx. 32" lg.,7/8" across flats at muzzle,1" near breach,with dovetails for rear sight,drilled/tapped hole for forearm screw,front sight dovetail has not been cut. Bore/rifling of course is very brite/shiney.

"cause the bullet never touched it. Nuff said!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast