Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedersoli/Uberti vs. Shiloh Sharps

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Would a Pedersoli/Uberti not shoot just as well?
    Duke - proof is the targets ...
    This is Homer. He is a 1000yd steel silhouette. The splashes are from a Pedersoli Quigley and a Uberti HiWall (45-70's)

This is a 16" circle I painted on Homer - splashes from the Pedersoli

Homer is 82" wide and 48" high
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator

..................The only way I'd buy a Uberti Hi-Wall is if it was used, and from a freind so I could see it shoot. Uberti barrels are a crap shoot.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..................The only way I'd buy a Uberti Hi-Wall is if it was used, and from a freind so I could see it shoot. Uberti barrels are a crap shoot.
    But, just so these mentions of Uberti Hiwalls don't get this 'Sharps' thread confused...
    The Sharps rifles sold under the Uberti name are made by Pedersoli in the configurations that Uberti orders. Therefore, they have Pedersoli barrels on them...which are identical to the barrels found on Pedersoli-marked rifles.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    Duke-The Black Powder Cartridge News says there's a buffalo match held in Boulder City-doesn't say how often. Says to email Dennis Swoope at jsbcnv@yahoo.com for info. I suggest going to a match, acting nice, and shooters will probably let you examine, fondle, and maybe even shoot some Sharps by various makers. Hands on experience will clarify your thinking. Let us know what you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
    Duke-The Black Powder Cartridge News says there's a buffalo match held in Boulder City-doesn't say how often. Says to email Dennis Swoope at jsbcnv@yahoo.com for info. I suggest going to a match, acting nice, and shooters will probably let you examine, fondle, and maybe even shoot some Sharps by various makers. Hands on experience will clarify your thinking. Let us know what you decide.
    Thanks Longhorn. I have met Dennis several times and chatted with him on the phone on numeous occasions. He is a very nice fella too.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 09-23-2008 at 10:23 PM.

I still am infatuated with the Shiloh like a kid with a crush on a school girl.
    Well I think this is going to end up like my multiple Puma aquisitions where I just threw up my hands and said fkit (I never swear) and ended up bitting it and buying Wincherster/Miroku 1892's.
    Grrrr!!!! Man that's alot a money for a rifle to stuff into a scabbard on some honary horse flesh. Not to say I will probably beat the crap out of it toting it around in the woods.
    My spirit won't rest until I get a Shiloh Sharps. Must be one of those ancestrial thing coming back to haunt me. This is not a phase by the way it. This period rifle thing has been a rain cloud above me awaiting to burst my whole life.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 09-23-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Hi Duke

I haven't posted much here in a while as I enjoy reading the posts more than making them, And my old pappy always said "It is better to be silent and thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt".... But I have been reading your posts and just wanted to add my .02....

I also have been down the "black rifle" path & the combat handguns etc.etc.
    And I also always felt like I was missing something, anyway A buddy of mine got me into shooting c&b revolvers ( lots -o- fun to me ) and I slowly began to loose interest in " modern firearms"
    Now I have Two Shiloh's a Rem R B , 1 86 & 1 92 Winchester I had a colt saa made in 1890 but some guy had more money than I could turn down so its gone.

All this to just say welcome home,,,,,,,,,,

P. S. go with the Shiloh and never look back
    "I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp, blood-kin to the grizzly that bit Jim Bridger's ***!"

Ever consider a nice rolling block?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Duke - proof is the targets ...
    This is Homer. He is a 1000yd steel silhouette. The splashes are from a Pedersoli Quigley and a Uberti HiWall (45-70's)

This is a 16" circle I painted on Homer - splashes from the Pedersoli

Homer is 82" wide and 48" high

Cool! Thanks for the pics. Pretty accurate I would say.

Boolit Master

Ok "cousin"

I looked at Shilohs and C. Sharps at the factory. Both good guns.

C. Sharps didn't exactly break a leg to make me welcome or show me guns. They have little or no web site.

Shiloh Sharps greeted me like family and when I asked to look at a rifle, was told "walk around the counter and look at all of them. AND if you don't see what you want, we'll make it for you." And they did. The extra fancy wood flunked final inspection and was re-placed...with AA finish, pewter tip, etc....they ate a chunk of money because if it isn't perfect, it doesn't leave the factory! The Shiloh web site is pretty opinionated and sometimes they aren't very kind about C.Sharps or the italian imports BUT they're shooters and they weren't shy about paying the price and/or the long wait for what they considered the best rifles.

You really out to go up there sometime. The Quigley shoot is a lot of fun; you could look at the guns yourself in Big Timber...and maybe find what you want in the rack. They had A DEAL on an engraved 45/90 that someone backed out on just before Quigley last summer. OR you could call Bill Goodman and talk to him; he probably has some guns you'd like and you could have them NOW.

I really screwed up in 2006. Shiloh had a 45/70 Long Range Express twin to my 50/90, except for the pewter fore end tip. Heather Bryan asked my schedule...I went to Boise after Quigley...and said they'd get the sights installed, do the pewter tip and have it ready for me in two weeks when I headed back to St Louis OR the shipping would be free. I passed and the gun was sold two hours later; still kicking myself on that one two years later.

I watch my money as well as the next guy...and I like expensive toys. BUT I'll spend a few more dollars (or a couple hundred!) and buy a Shiloh because I know it will be perfect out of the box and the service and customer support is second to none. I haven't spent over $150 a visit since I ordered the rifle in 2003, but every time I walk through the door I am considered a valued customer; a friend and a member of the Shiloh Rifle family. You've heard enough now...you ready to join the family?

Boolit Buddy

Duke,

Once you get the Shiloh in your hands, you will never regret your decision, and the money will not matter, especially if this has been a deep-seated desire your whole life, as you say. They really are fine rifles, and I for one appreciate the transition they represent from percussion to cartridge guns.

For what it is worth, C. Sharps did me dirt in the mid-90s. They promised me an 1874 in a year when Shiloh was quoting an honest three, and five-and-a-half years later I got the rifle I ordered, at CONSIDERABLY increased price plus the Excise tax which was included when I ordered but not when I received the rifle. I took this up with John Schoffstall himself, who basically told me not so politely that my objections did not matter to him. I promised him that I would make sure that anyone who brought up the issue would hear my story, and that did not bother him either. They are decent guns, although not quite up to Shiloh's fit and finish, but I would NEVER order another one. I would not be afraid to by one used from someone else, though, if I could see it first.

Either way, get an American Sharps. I've lived in the southern Appalachians my whole life, and always wanted an honest-to-goodness Virginia-style flintlock. I once thought the Traditions Pennsylvania would be close enough, but an Italian-made American original rifle is just not the same... Maybe someday I'll own an American reproduction.

Hope this helps (you spend your money). <G>!

Good luck!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Why am I buying a $3000.00 rifle instead of a $800.00 to $1000.00 rifle?
    Is the Shiloh Sharps that good that I really need to spend that much?
    Would a Pedersoli/Uberti not shoot just as well?
    What model would one go with? I like the Shiloh Sharps 1894 Sporter with a pistol grip and pewter tip so does Pedersoli/Uberti make anything close?
    TIA,
    Duke
    I bought a Riflesmith Sharps instead of a Shiloh because way back then the delivery delay on the Shiloh was five plus years. I also had a Pedersoli Sharps. The Riflesmith certainly looked better but the Pedersoli worked. That Riflesmith was returned to the factory at least four times. Something broke on it just about every time I tried shooting it. The Pedersoli just worked. Didn't look quite as nice but it was certainly functional.

I've owned a non-cartridge Shiloh. Nice gun. I think that the only appeal a Shiloh has over a Pedersoli is the fit and finish. If that's worth two grand to you then do it. But personally I think that I'd rather have a gun, the Pedersoli, that is almost as good and two thousand dollars cheaper.

Boolit Buddy
    $2000 cheaper? That would be a deal, if you could find it. Personally, I'd rather have the Shiloh, built to my exact specs and drive a 10 year old truck.....and I do. The Shiloh 1874 Sporter is listing at $1754 plus $156 for the pewter tip. Isn't that $1900?

Boolit Master

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

EDK & Woodtroll,

Thanks to both of you for sharing your experiences with the two Sharps companies.
    I can understand anyone having a bad day, but when two people report good things about one company, and not so good stuff on the other, a pattern begins to emerge.
    God willing, and I can afford it someday, I think I'll pay the Shiloh folks a visit.
    I go out of my way to shop where I'm valued and treated well.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

QUOTE=EDK;401263]I looked at Shilohs and C. Sharps at the factory. Both good guns.

C. Sharps didn't exactly break a leg to make me welcome or show me guns. They have little or no web site.

Shiloh Sharps greeted me like family and when I asked to look at a rifle, was told "walk around the counter and look at all of them. AND if you don't see what you want, we'll make it for you." And they did. QUOTE]

Boolit Master

What a phenominal rifle!

My God, man! That is one FINE rifle!
    Now that you've shown us the picture, tell us more about it.
    What caliber is it? That is a rifle to brag about!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    Ever consider a nice rolling block?

Banned
    The picture is right off the Lone Star web page. But Lone Star does make beautiful guns. I've got two, a 38-55 and a 50-70. Excellent rifles. And Romano Rifle makes beautiful guns as well.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.

Pedersoli

If you are interested in a Pedersoli. Let me know. I have one I am going to sell this fall. The model is "The Boss". You can go to the Pedersoli web site for all the particulars. Here are a couple of pictures of the rifle. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Master

How is the recoil of the .50-70 compared to .45-70?

Hi KLW,

Thanks for the reply! I like Rolling Blocks, and hope to have one someday.
    My dream gun would be a NYS Militia Rifle, or a Lonestar gun.
    I have a Model 1868 Trapdoor in .50-70, but have not shot it yet.
    I'd like to know how the recoil of the .50-70 compares to the .45-70.
    One of these days I'd like to meet up with folks here in the PNW and actually be able to fire a classic BR rifle.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    The picture is right off the Lone Star web page. But Lone Star does make beautiful guns. I've got two, a 38-55 and a 50-70. Excellent rifles. And Romano Rifle makes beautiful guns as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot an Axtel and there is NO better rifle made.

Banned
    Glad yours is ok. Mine went back to the factory four times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast