MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Remington Rifle

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn

Remington Rifle

Hope some one here can help .
    I was given a Remington rifle chambered for the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum , but is missing the bolt ,I was wondering if the bolt from another model remington 22lr or 22WRM would fit and operate .The ammunition is unobtainable here in Australia as Its obsolete and Im not sure if the current manufactured ammunition is imported here.I beleive its being manufactured in Mexico.
    Numurich no longer export parts overseas so Im sort of stuck with a rifle that is pretty much junk.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

SOOO, you have a rifle you can not shoot and also ammo you can not get if the rifle would shoot
    So, are you thinking of rebarreling the gun to 22WRM?
    Do you have the 591 or the 592?

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned
    LOTS of options depending on what model the rifle is. More info and you will get suggestions up the wazoo.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Short answer, no. Some years ago I obtained one with the idea of rebarreling to 17 HMR. Unfortunately the head diameter is somewhat larger then the rimfire mag. and, if I recall correctly, it has a very goofy ejector system that would not readily lend itself to the conversion. Fortunately for me, at the time, one of the companies was making a run of 5mm ammo so I was able unload, pun intended, the rifle without too much of a loss.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    I think it will just become machine shop bar stock ,use it for making other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    I think it will just become machine shop bar stock ,use it for making other stuff.
    Some little 5mm/.20 caliber wildcat rifle could be fashioned with that barrel stubbed in a H&R Topper shotgun.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    There was/is? a conversion to centerfield and c.f. cases available. The front of the bolt is replaced in the conversion. I think the rear of the bolt is same as the 580 series, been along time since I looked at it so do some googling. I was very interested due to a rifle I expected to pickup, didn't happen so never went further. I may can find the drawings, if so I, 'll post here.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

i have a 592 that i was going to rebarrel to 17 wsm , but it will cost more than its worth so it as is a safe queen after i use what ammo i have (600 rounds )roo

Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    ^^^ This ^^^

I dunno how many such orphans I've accumulated over the years. They make great thought experiments, but that's all.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

No bolt? Part it out. Another victim of the hide the bolt safety theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    No bolt? Part it out. Another victim of the hide the bolt safety theory.
    Yep, makes them safe and useless in one fell swoop. I'm currently looking for a Springfield .22 single shot bolt. The gun it's missing from was produced for 3 years only.....

Boolit Master

And me from a Marlin 925
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    And me, need a Winchester 69 ( not 69 a) bolt. Gun is in fine shape otherwise, and very safe
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Mine's a Springfield 52A.

Thread drift alert!!!

My buddy has a very nice Belgian 'smithed Mauser in 257 Roberts. Beautiful stock, nice German pre-war 4 power scope. No bolt. He bought it off somebody's grandkids cleaning out grandpa's stuff and they couldn't find the bolt.

Tried a bolt from a 270 Winchester Mauser of the same vintage/style. It headspaced nicely and shot very well.

He now has two funtioning rifles, but only one bolt.

Boolit Master
    Thats how I wound up with the Win 62, 2 guns one bolt
    I guess folks relatives find a bolt and go " I have no idea what this is, must be trash" ! And yes, I know people who think like that.

Boolit Master

5mm Remington's were not made in the same amounts as model 98 mausers. I can get a 98 mauser bolt just about anywhere. Try getting a 5mm Remington. Apples to oranges there.

As a former 07 FFL good luck. If I did find one expect to pay the same as a whole rifle.

I would neck up a .17 Hornet to .20 and stub it in a single shot. I'm sorry a fine barrel is a horrible thing to waste. The front receiver ring could serve as the bushing for the stub after lathe work.
    Just pontificating.
    Thomas