RepackboxReloading EverythingPBcastcoLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disscontinued remington bullet?

Disscontinued remington bullet?

I have shot these as j word fodder for a while and like them a lot, but it seems everywhere is out of them, and midway says they are discontinued. Anyone know what happened? Seasonal run? I would be sad to see them disappear.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...-bulk-packaged

Boolit Buddy

I have some of these. I think I got them from someone on here. I like them a lot. Hope this is not correct.

Boolit Master

Well that stinks! I have been shooting that bullet for at least a couple of decades in 38's and light 357's. Not nearly as many of these as I shoot cast... but it was kinda my goto jacketed bullet.

I guess the two bags of them I have currently may be the last. They shoot extremely well in my revolvers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I guess the two bags of them I have currently may be the last. They shoot extremely well in my revolvers.
    At least you have 2 bags left... My 686 eats them like candy and boy do they expand! Back when I helped a bud who was a commercial caster and reloader... we would get those and the heavier version in drums from Remington. He would let me leave with a pocket full of each anytime I wanted to. Back in those days, if it came off the 1050's munged or misloaded in any way it was take home fodder. Bill always said it was not worth our time to pull them down at the shop. Most were shootable, the ones that had suspect loads got pulled and the components were reused at home. I really do miss the old guy!

Boolit Master

These seem to be the same bullet: https://www.precisionreloading.com/c...!l=RM&i=B23552 it says in stock.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I hope they continue making these, they are one of the few things I buy from remington. The tinfoil hat side of me says it is freedom group trying to ruin one of the few good products rem has left.

Boolit Master

@Omega, I did find those last night. I also did order a few. Not many places have stock, may be something to this. I will be at the Indy 1500 this weekend and will be looking for them as well.

Thanks Omega, I ordered another 1k since I am almost done with my last bag.

Boolit Grand Master
    Most component makers offer 125 grain JHP bullets in their product line. I use them to copy the "FBI Load" for practice sessions with my 357 carry guns. I can't see a great deal of difference in the downrange performance between the makes. They all spread varmints out pretty well, and groups at 25 yards don't vary much between makes either. I am sure that pricing for these bulk-pack JHPs was better than that of the Speer/Sierra/Hornady offerings, but if the line is discontinued your options are narrowed.

Generally, most 357 revolvers don't get there best work from the shorter jacketed weights--140 grains + has always shot a lot better for me, and Lyman #358156 has been my go-to load for a long time. From 1994 to 2014, my shop used the W-W 158 Super-X JHP as authorized 357 load, and 13.5 grains of 2400 under that Lyman/Thompson casting was a good practice copy. I know that FBI invested a lot of hours, gelatin, calculus, and analysis into recommending the 125 grain Federal #357B load as their Shining Example, but in terms of utility for stopping bad guys there really are no "bad loads" in 357 Magnum.

Just some random thoughts on the 357.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I don't use 125 grain boolits for 357 mag loads either. Like you, I get better results with heavier boolits.
    I use them in 38 special for full power or +P loads where they work really well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I don't use 125 grain boolits for 357 mag loads either. Like you, I get better results with heavier boolits.
    I use them in 38 special for full power or +P loads where they work really well.
    FWIW--my old shop's present 357 and 38 loads both use 125 grain JHPs. I haven't carried a 38 Special as felon repellent for a long time, and that caliber is a sportgun for me--paper, small game, and (4-legged) varmints only. Lyman #358477 does great work for me in this caliber, and my 2 revolvers are older and not up to +P pressures. 800-850 FPS handles things well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I mostly shoot the rcbs copy of Lyman #358156, which drops at 150 grains and is an excellent boolit in my ruger. I was torn between buying the j words, and a mihec that I could cast endless numbers of 125 grain hp's. If this is the end of a favorite bullet, I might as well buy a few to save for a rainy day, i can always buy another mold at a later date.

Boolit Buddy

This has happened with Remington and Winchester before. All the sudden bullets will disappear just to reappear later. Let us hope this time its the same thing.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master
    Another bonehead move by the bean counters. If they sell well, why stop making them?
    Leadmelter
    MI

Yeah, maybe this will be one of those "seasonally available" bullets. maybe I will give midway a call and see what they know.

Boolit Master
    Well I just checked Precision only has 100 left

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Maybe the factory is busy loading them into every available case ??

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    FWIW--my old shop's present 357 and 38 loads both use 125 grain JHPs. I haven't carried a 38 Special as felon repellent for a long time, and that caliber is a sportgun for me--paper, small game, and (4-legged) varmints only. Lyman #358477 does great work for me in this caliber, and my 2 revolvers are older and not up to +P pressures. 800-850 FPS handles things well.
    I started out casting with my stepfather's single cavity HP Lyman 358477. When we all left CA the mold went somewhere, but since then I acquired a used double cavity version that I use for my Mod 19. I still think it is one of the best 38 cal molds around.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast