Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Okanagan Shooting Sticks

Boolit Mold

Okanagan Shooting Sticks

Looking to buy a pair of Okanagan shooting sticks.
    No luck finding them for sale.
    Does anyone have build Plans ????

Thanks

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Okanogan?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	1287 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	225921

Looks like 3 1"x2"x3' pieces, 2 pcs. 3/4x5" or so with screws to attach, a pivot bolt with hardware, and about 6' of leather strap with a hook system.

You got this,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

I make mine very similar to those also. Min are made to shoot from a stool and am working on a set to shoot from my track chair. My rifle rest in a loop that's adjustable by hooks on the outside edge of the legs uprights. This allows fine adjustments in height. The pivot screw is good I have 8 holes in each stick for a dowel pin to further adjust height. The bottom strap allows to be set at same spacing and height every time. I will give the bill of materials for mine here. I used hickory for one set and hard maple for another, the new set.

Bill of materials lengths will vary as to height you want
    3 each 1" X 2" X6' hardwood these are the legs
    6 each each 1" x 2" X 8" hard wood these are the spacers for the legs 1 top and bottom for double side and 2 top and bottom on single leg
    2 each 1 X 3 X 6-8" these make the feet for the sticks.
    3 3/4" oak dowels these are the pin for pivot and feet A 1/4 or 3/8 bolt works also.
    leather strap 1/2" wide X desired length this makes to top strap adjustable loop cradle
    at the bottom s strap or piece of cord works to set opening length
    2 each 1/8" X 1 1/2 X 6" cold rolled roll steel flat stock for the spades.
    5/16" oak dowel rods Mine are glued and doweled together.
    4 each brass #10 round head wood screws 1"-1 1/2" long these make the Hooks for the sling loop. I files the heads oval to ease adjusting sling
    sand and finish legs before assembly getting into the 3/4 wide area in the double leg is a pain, a couple layers of card board between each spacer and leg on the double helps the single to slide easier. The bottom spacer on the double leg need to be up 3-4" or down 3"-4" to allow foot to be pined in place. I used a table saw and cut a 1/8" wide slot 2" deep on one end then epoxied the spades in and 2 5/16 dowels to help secure. On the single leg either leave top or bottom spacers off until assembled and glue dowel last. I used a double hole pattern in the sling ( originally used a old military rifle sling and that spacing).

Boolit Mold
    Thanks so much for your time, the instruction is much appreciated.
    Now I just need to get to work.

Boolit Man
    Purdy Gear has them listed on her website at: http://www.purdygear.com/availablenow.html

Boolit Buddy
    The gent that made the Okanogon shooting sticks has left the range. A friend of mine has a brand new set that has never been used because he can no longer shoot. His are designed to shoot off a stool and beautifully made. If you're interested, PM me and I'll see if I can get you in touch with his wife.

Boolit Master

I've used the "Bog Pod" system for a few years now and they are exceptionally handy.
    https://www.btibrands.com/brands/bog/

Banned
    Looks like a project for the winter time for me. Made a set of bench shooting sticks and have improved my shooting accuracy considerably.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    http://www.prbullet.com/stix.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the one's I made aren't very pretty but they're pretty effective, cheap and fairly easy to make. They're made out of 3/4" hardwood dowel rod from Home Depot, with brass caps on either end and leather around the point where the rifle barrel/foreend sits. They have 1/4" spikes cut off and inserted in the bottoms for pounding into the ground with a small singlejack hammer and took a beating in Cowboy Action Shooting Long Range events for over ten years. I could drive them into almost solid ground. Here's a pic:

As I said, they were pretty effective, here's a somewhat old pic of me using them to win the Winter Range National Championship SingleShot event in 2004 with a ten shot string, all hits, in just over 60 seconds, at 290 yards. Did the same in 2005 and won the Big Bore lever action event in 2006.

Also made a similar set for my bench rest setup as shown here and the last pic of my bench rest set up.

McLintock