RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad MAXXTech 380 Brass

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I'd test with a hair more taper crimp, see what you get. .355 cast imho is already too small to have extreme accuracy concerns anyway.
    So, if I apply more taper crimp, and a 0.355" cast is already too small, where will the taper crimp make up the reduction in size? Will it decrease the case thickness? Or will it reduce the lead projectile thickness even smaller than the already too small 0.355" diameter?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    DonMountain: I believe you would get some pretty severe leading sending .350-.351 down range from a 9X19 Gp
    I have not tried loading these 0.355" cast projectiles in a 9mm Luger. I bought this mold (LEE 356-102-1R) specifically for loading 380 cartridges. I load my 9x19 pistols with cast projectiles of 115 grains, which seems more appropriate. And those I size at 0.357". But I agree with you gpidaho, it seems easier to just throw away the MAXXTech brass that is causing me all the trouble. As the pistol shoots pretty well with the 0.355" sized lead rounds without any leading, loading them in all the other makes of brass I have.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    So, if I apply more taper crimp, and a 0.355" cast is already too small, where will the taper crimp make up the reduction in size? Will it decrease the case thickness? Or will it reduce the lead projectile thickness even smaller than the already too small 0.355" diameter?
    Being a taper crimp, going a little more will restrict the diameter a hair more at the mouth of the cartridge.

I Sa a hair, as maybee you can find a happy medium that chambers, but isn't past .3549, etc..

Boolit Master
    Being a taper crimp, going a little more will restrict the diameter a hair more at the mouth of the cartridge.

I Sa a hair, as maybee you can find a happy medium that chambers, but isn't past .3549, etc..
    Its not just at the mouth of the case that I have the problem of too large of a diameter. It is all the way down to the bottom of the seated bullet. From the case mouth to the bottom of the projectile measures the same case diameter of 0.376", which only allows chambering the loaded round about half way into the chamber. Immediately below the seated bullet the case measures 0.369". After loading one of these MAXXTech rounds and pulling them back out, the scraping on the side of the chamber is very visible from the case mouth all the way down to just below the bottom of the seated bullet.

Boolit Master

Do you have an inside neck reamer?

Boolit Master
    Do you have an inside neck reamer?
    I do for more long-range rifle rounds like 30-06, 308, 243 and etc. Not for a 9mm round. I am starting to think that it would be more beneficial to me to just throw all of these "range pickup brass" away and purchase 1000 of the 380 brass from a more reputable company in order to make all of them the same. The Starline factory is only 50 miles from my home and I could just stop by there sometime when I am over that way and pick up a box of 1000 brand new brass cases.

Boolit Master

If they aren't magnetic, make a scrap bin, then sell them, get a little something..

Boolit Master
    To keep it interesting maxxtech 380 used to come from 2 different countries.
    First heard of it during the last great ammo shortage.
    It either got decent reviews or was total garbage. As people started comparing notes they discovered it came in two different packages from two different countries. One normal 50rd box and one 100rd plastic CD style case.
    I think it was the CD case packaged that were garbage, don’t remember which countries they came from either.

I don’t recall if I have any maxxtech in my 380 stash. I haven’t started culling it yet, so if it is in there I haven’t had any problems with it.
    I inspect all my cases now and cull any headstamp that has given me issues.

I do cull the shelved maxxtech in 9mm, actually all shelved brass.

All the differences sure keep things interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

There are several brands of brass that automatically go to the scrap bucket. This is one of them. Part of me hates to trash once fired brass but I have enough of the common stuff in calibers that I shoot to last my lifetime. Sorry to hear that there was so much of this stuff in the batch that you bought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12