RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Upside Down boolit sizing press-purpose built, for lee dies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    This looks like an answer to something I have been thinking about.
    By using a C&H shell holder on the bottom and drilling and tapping the ram for a 1/4 28 thread, use a decapping stem from an old die, this would make a great dedicated decapping press to keep the carbon, etc. out of my Rock Chuckers. (I de-cap and stainless tumble before brass gets anywhere near my resizing dies)
    Plastic tubing could be used underneath to guide spent primers to a bin underneath thus getting rid of the problem of used primers on the floor from the Rock Chuckers.

My only two questions are "how did you get the alignment from the shaft to the hole in the base, and how did you keep the base from warping when you welded it, or did you machine flat after welding?
    I came up with a tool to align the shaft tube with the threaded hole in the base and may improve it even further so that it will thread and lock into the base when installing the tube. The base warped ever so slightly and yes, could be machined flat, or a cork or rubber sheet glued to the bottom would take up any difference between a bench and the plate and would keep from marring the bench. If I get real fancy, I could bore the shaft tube after it is all welded but since I am not a machinist it would take a little planning or research.

Right now, I am working on plans to add bushings or bearings, including possibly doing a bushing for the shaft to pass through.

The cheap lee presses are just steel or aluminum parts with steel pins..........nothing precise. A number of other presses seem to nothing more than shoulder bolts, so this press would be quite robust for high usage. My dillon 1050 on the other hand, is built like a truck with big parts and bearings to handle the load/wear points.

It might only be a small price increase to add the bushings/bearings and depending on my schedule may not take long to come up with an improved version 2. Since I am a perfectionist, I would rather not make copies of version 1 just yet, and as a customer it sucks when you see a new improved product just after you purchased the previous model.

I love the upside down press. Flipped a old RCBS partner press and production is ALOT faster. I cut a 10" piece of Pex pipe, cut a v in the end and used a piece of plumber's tape to mount it to feed bullets. 9mm bullets slide right to the ram and drop in the sizing die. I would defiantly be interest in a dedicate, made for the job, PC sizing press.
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Mold
    I would also be interested.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    That's a nice piece of equipment, well done. I'd be interested if you ever get to sell any.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

As a word of caution, please don't make offers to sell or buy outside of the Swappin & Sellin section of the forum. That would be against the rules, as all sales and requests to buy are to be listed in S&S.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    very interested

Boolit Master

nice work.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I love it and am interested in one.

As for a boolits feeder I have a thought on that.

A simple drop in slot for different size boolits would work well. I could 3d print something that would work very well.

I'm thinking of a bushing simuiler to a shotgun press. The milled part is one size but the bushings could be made to fit whatever suzed bullets.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    I love it and am interested in one.

As for a boolits feeder I have a thought on that.

A simple drop in slot for different size boolits would work well. I could 3d print something that would work very well.

I'm thinking of a bushing simuiler to a shotgun press. The milled part is one size but the bushings could be made to fit whatever suzed bullets.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
    I use a piece of PVC for mine. Tried to lengthen it with some plastic tubing and bullets just sat in tube--too much friction

I can do from .32 to .45 bullets with my PVC setup--just slight adjustment when I attach to press with a couple of spring clamps.

after about 50 bullets I had developed enough muscle memory not to have a problem with sizing on up-stroke
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Sizing for me, is fast enough in a standard/up-right press.
    I don't use the red container but attach a large diameter vinyl tube to the sizing die, curved back to the bench top into a container, so I don't have to empty that red thing.

To automate sizing I'd buy a LEE Bullet Feeder Kit and try this 1st, with a press I already have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLu0mnsqf4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8VB7mw1Qwc

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...d-dies-fingers

Last edited by Kenstone; 11-17-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The feeder in the videos is nice!

You fellas can make the upside down press mount without any welding...wouldn't need a torch or plasma cutter either if you have a little 3.5~4" electric grinder or an air powered die grinder with a cutting disc on it...

https://thereloadersnetwork.com/2018...wn-press-what/
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    You fellas can make the upside down press mount without any welding...wouldn't need a torch or plasma cutter either if you have a little 3.5~4" electric grinder or an air powered die grinder with a cutting disc on it...

Dude! That is supper cool - nice job

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post

I like that steel riser/flip mount.

I've made something similar out of 2x6.
    Basically a box with the top over hanging in the front and the bottom extended out the rear.
    With some deck screws and wood glue, you could probably make three of them out of an 8ft 2x6 or 2x8.
    Here's a wooden riser build, with wing shelving:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	227399

Boolit Buddy

I would be interested in one of these also, had an upside down press and loved it but sold that press and am not willing to flip another one of my presses over there's to much reloading to do on them!
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Slowly, I have made progress on the second version of the upside down press. While working on it, I have put work and thought in how to make a small run of these and do it as efficiently as possible while keeping the quality and finish very nice. If it was only a one off, it would have been finished already.

It now has a bushing for the main ram/shaft and bushings and thrust washers for the pivots on the link arms. The handle is also adjustable to go shorter or longer than the original. There is almost no play in the fit of the ram, so alignment should be much better than needed for the lee sizing dies. My only concern is wear on the ram from the bronze bushing. This is a linear movement instead of circular and I have seen some scratching on the ram. The sintered bronze can be abrasive. I had to bore the bronze bushing to match the diameter of the shaft. I could try to hone it and make it smoother. A steel body, like my first version, is hard and slick inside but is steel on steel. If the ram wears, it is easy to replace. If the body wears, that is a problem. The other option is a steel or aluminum bushing. With any bushing, it is possible for me, or a person who can do machining to replace the bushing and ram without needing to fix or rebuild the body.

The last thing I want to do is to have these floating around out there and find out there is a wear problem, so some testing by me or a volume caster might be good.

Starting tomorrow evening, I will be out of town during the week on a 6+ week job. That just leaves part of the weekends to work on this, but my goal is to get the second prototype done in the next few weeks and post some photos or video in this thread.

When I am happy with the build, I will make a thread in the for sale section.

Boolit Master
    Very cool.

I am in awe of folks like you who understand and can design, build and troubleshoot mechanical devices. Hats off!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    great idea !!
    What is electric motor power ?

Boolit Master
    The Motor is a 240 volt single phase motor. 1440 rpm .18Kw attached to a motovario 20:1 worm gearbox. 19mm dia output shaft.
    The new one I'm building is a 1Hp motor 2880rpm 3 phase with VFD speed controller. Still single phase 240 volt input and still 20:1 gearbox. Different bullet feed bar running off a cam wheel that will also run the ram.
    Still use Lee sizer dies. Base plate will be 3/4" thick steel plate threaded 7/8x14 to take the dies.
    Last edited by Ausglock; 09-24-2018 at 05:31 AM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast