Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Upside Down boolit sizing press-purpose built, for lee dies

Boolit Master
    Tonight, I built a bracket to hold a short akro bin under the sizing press. The last few times I tried to come up with something, I was unsure how to build it. A pre-bent section of material was able to accept the edge of the akro bin, so I took a few measurements and drew something in CAD. After printing it, I folded the paper and tested the fit. It needed one adjustment and then got cut on the plasma table. Well...........it was off just a little from what I wanted. Back to CAD and then the plasma, some finishing with the die grinder, a bend, some tig welds and blending, then one more slight bend. I'm thrilled with it. There may be a way to avoid using the pre bent section............I'll have to try it.

No photos for tonight. I tore down the version 2 press and cleaned up the edges in prep for bead blasting and powder coating. Maybe I can get my blast cabinet dried out tomorrow (it leaks when it rains, despite a total rebuild and great sealing job) and then get the parts powder coated. This afternoon I powder coated a couple leash/key hooks for customers and was happy with how much easier it is than even spray paint and one cool, it is ready to go. After painting as a pro (buildings) for many years and doing a few little auto projects with single stage and two stage auto paint, it is nice to find something so tough, less labor intensive, and lacking the need for a critical spraying/drying environment.

Unfortunately, I forgot to draw up an angled handle to cut on the plasma and test out, but that can happen at any time.

After powder coating, I'll post some more photos.

Right now, I am waiting for No1 (site owner) or the mods (already contacted both) to let me know where I can continue this thread for people who have asked about purchasing. Until then, I will continue with finishing or upgrading little things on mine.

NOE sizing: it looks like there is 3.125" between the bottom of the ram and the inside surface of the base plate, on this press. I do not know if that will leave room for the NOE setup. Still waiting for someone to share some measurements and maybe a couple photos if willing. It would be much appreciated.

Boolit Master

I have always had the greatest respect for a Man who can do skilled work with his hands.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Length 1.5”
    Width .750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Buddy
    This is a NOE insert for a Star lube/sizer.

Boolit Buddy
    FYI uploading images with Tapatalk Pro is super stupid easy.

Boolit Master
    This morning, it looked like the Santa Anna winds were going to put up a fight, but they died down and I managed to empty the blast cabinet and load some fine glass bead, then powder coated the parts for my press.

Before PC, I whipped up an end plate for the blue bin. In the past, I cut one from aluminum using tin snips, but this press deserved something better. While the plasma table will cut stainless, aluminum, copper, brass, steel, etc., there was a piece of the proper thickness steel in the scrap pile and steel cuts cleaner than aluminum. The first part was long by 3/32", so three minutes on cad and cam and I was headed out to cut a second one. Second time was a charm! A slight bend on my little home made brake and it fit great.

Since I was in a hurry to finish, I didn't force the part for a two hour swim in acid and instead cleaned it up with the die grinder and a 3" surfacing disc. Luckily, my air compressor averages 20 cfm and will refill the 80 gallon tank in 60 seconds and allow the die grinders to run for 3-5 minutes before it runs again. The compressor also catches up to the blast cabinet, with a large skat blast tip (20-25 cfm) and will shut off for a few minutes while blasting. The pump on this machine looks like a Harley engine and is similar in size, based on looks. It is a true 5hp machine with the motor weighing in at 108 lbs and the pump around 200 pounds or so. Life really sucked when I used to run an over rated "6hp" compressor.

This time around, I used copper wire to hand my parts for powder coating and ran a little more air with no difuser on the PC gun. It turned out nice. The coat of candy purple was heavier, so it isn't as see through, but it looks more consistent. On the shelf, there were a number of other colors but they just didn't tickle my fancy. If/when I make more of these, candy won't be an option, unless there is some extra in it for me. It takes a while to run a surfacing disc over these to get a half decent polish. While I was tempted to get out the buffing machine and the 10" wheels for a mirror finish, this steel was not in perfect shape and it wasn't worth the effort. There is a copper vein color (same style as the black that I used) and it would make a nice contrast for the linkage or other parts while only requiring bead blasting for prep.

The bin bracket will mount right under the press and is the exact shape and size as the press. The bracket is low profile without a bin, while my attempt at a bin bracket next to the lube sizer was less graceful with a sheet of aluminum protruding out to catch my hands or arm as I walked by. The short bin is part of the solution for a non intrusive boolit catch and I may not even fill it to capacity before dumping, but it should work quite well. The handle on this machine does stick out a ways from the bench. It is adjustable and could be set shorter and tied back/upright for storage.

When I reassembled the press, I noticed a small amount of wear on the pivot bushings of the press. I was hoping the bushings would not be too thin or soft to wear prematurely, but I would much rather the bushings wear than the steel parts. A set of sleeve bushings is about 5 bucks and they are easy to swap out. There are thicker bushings set aside, as I had two choices available, but I have not yet built a press with them. Maybe I will do a second press and try the heavier set.

It feels great to have Version 2 complete, with just a handful of ideas to try out when I have more time. Have to get up at 4am to go do more barb wire fencing work on the Navy base, so I'll wrap it up here. Hopefully, this will be the last week for that job and I will have more time at home to catch up on reloading and using my sizing press.

Enjoy the pics!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss sizer group small.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	231820

Name:	body and links.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	231824

Name:	mid view.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	231821

Name:	press and bin close up.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	231822

Name:	no bin.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	231823

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oteroman View Post
    Length 1.5”
    Width .750

I need a few more words to go on.............a description of how those parts work would be great. I have not seen a star in person. Or, take a photo of the order of the parts, with a boolit, laid out and how they might fit into my press. There must be a pin or punch not shown. Is it just flat like the lee?

I assume, the small part is the NOE sizer and it fits into the longer body you measured. The longer body goes in the Star?

Would the longer body sit with the larger diameter portion up and the shoulder resting on my press base, in place of a die (it would go between the ram and bottom and be pushed down and through the press base)?

If the smaller piece, assuming it is the actual sizing die, will fit the NOE threaded holders, then building a press or using this one to accept the NOE threaded die would make more sense. Anyone could use this sizing press and an NOE die and sizer, in place of the lee.

Basically, you have the sizing rings/bushings already and would like to use them in dedicated press like mine?

Maybe we can figure this thing out!

Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't think someone would want to use the Star adaptor?
    If you are looking for info on NOE's standard bullet sizer kit, I don't have dimensions, but there are images of it, in their catalog, gives you an idea, it's a similar shape like a Lee.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...l4lv1cjnl53tq6

Instructions posted on the NOE forum:
    http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....ic,1245.0.html

a nice little youtube video

another video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRou...ature=youtu.be
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post
    I need a few more words to go on.............a description of how those parts work would be great. I have not seen a star in person. Or, take a photo of the order of the parts, with a boolit, laid out and how they might fit into my press. There must be a pin or punch not shown. Is it just flat like the lee?

I assume, the small part is the NOE sizer and it fits into the longer body you measured. The longer body goes in the Star?

Would the longer body sit with the larger diameter portion up and the shoulder resting on my press base, in place of a die (it would go between the ram and bottom and be pushed down and through the press base)?

If the smaller piece, assuming it is the actual sizing die, will fit the NOE threaded holders, then building a press or using this one to accept the NOE threaded die would make more sense. Anyone could use this sizing press and an NOE die and sizer, in place of the lee.

Basically, you have the sizing rings/bushings already and would like to use them in dedicated press like mine?

Maybe we can figure this thing out!
    I've been following this thread and you have gone a long way just to get the thread size of the NOE die body, like pulling teeth

I have made/sold stuff related to a different hobby and experienced similar frustration all along the process.
    Lots of initial interest and excitement and once I priced the item, the interest continued.
    I built some units, anticipating orders to happen...but they never did.
    I probably should have sent this as a pm, as some posting here may consider it a criticism of them, but just wanted to relate my experiences, and what to expect as you develop this sizing press.
    jmo,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 12-10-2018 at 11:22 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Here are some pics of my NOE push through sizer - I haven't used it yet, but I think I know how it works...

On a regular press, the left side is up, and right side goes into the shell holder. There are 2 choices for the shell holder end; a calibre specific (.30 cal in this photo) push through rod (top of photo) for sizing nose first, and a standard top punch holder (bottom of photo) for sizing base first. The calibre specific bushing (.316 in this photo) is shown between the reject bullets and the die body.

Here it is all assembled and ready to install on a press.

Please let me know if you would additional measurements, and g'luck with your project.

Boolit Man
    Great idea I like it
    Let the LORD be magnified who take’s pleasure in the prosperity of his servant!

Boolit Master
    Not sure that I understand the utility of this, why not buy a used (or new) Lyman, RCBS, or better still, a Star, does the same thing but has the option of lubing at the same time?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Not sure that I understand the utility of this, why not buy a used (or new) Lyman, RCBS, or better still, a Star, does the same thing but has the option of lubing at the same time?
    Because those of us who don't plan on lubing (powder coating only) would like a press that fits on our bench and works like a press that is placed upside down without the awkward mounting issues.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    Here are some pics of my NOE push through sizer - I haven't used it yet, but I think I know how it works...

On a regular press, the left side is up, and right side goes into the shell holder. There are 2 choices for the shell holder end; a calibre specific (.30 cal in this photo) push through rod (top of photo) for sizing nose first, and a standard top punch holder (bottom of photo) for sizing base first. The calibre specific bushing (.316 in this photo) is shown between the reject bullets and the die body.

Please let me know if you would additional measurements, and g'luck with your project.
    SB you will really like the NOE set up I have been using it for a couple years now and it is quick to change for different calibers and works flawlessly in my opinion. This press with the ability to use the NOE option will be the ultimate machine!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudy13 View Post
    Because those of us who don't plan on lubing (powder coating only) would like a press that fits on our bench and works like a press that is placed upside down without the awkward mounting issues.
    A Star mounted on your bench is not nearly as awkward as the setup shown.

Boolit Master
    What’s the price of a Star?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Not sure why you don't like this set up but I don't think any one actually cares.

Star sizer 338.00 new with 52.00 for a die, that is MSRP I'm sure they can be found cheaper used or on sale.

Once again I don't need something that will lube my bullets that I can make work for sizing my coated bullets. I think that is one of the best things about this site is there are people that make suggestions to help everyone out that has questions and there are people willing to make a specific tool to match current needs of the people that would use them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudy13 View Post
    Not sure why you don't like this set up but I don't think any one actually cares.

Star sizer 338.00 new with 52.00 for a die, that is MSRP I'm sure they can be found cheaper used or on sale.

Once again I don't need something that will lube my bullets that I can make work for sizing my coated bullets. I think that is one of the best things about this site is there are people that make suggestions to help everyone out that has questions and there are people willing to make a specific tool to match current needs of the people that would use them.
    Yeah lube/sizing, Star is probably better...

But, $338 plus $52 every pop is expensive to size a pc bullet, which is ALL I do now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Well I am get a Bullet feeder for that star and hook up a Mr. Bullet feeder to and that combo will size bullets at a scary fast rate. I have two Star sizers. Gold trust me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    I've been following this thread and you have gone a long way just to get the thread size of the NOE die body, like pulling teeth

I have made/sold stuff related to a different hobby and experienced similar frustration all along the process.
    Lots of initial interest and excitement and once I priced the item, the interest continued.
    I built some units, anticipating orders to happen...but they never did.
    I probably should have sent this as a pm, as some posting here may consider it a criticism of them, but just wanted to relate my experiences, and what to expect as you develop this sizing press.
    jmo,
    I appreciate your experience and have been cautious of the same happening with this project. It has taken much longer to build this press in a manner to be able to build more copies with some efficiency and good quality, than it would have taken to just build a single working unit for my needs only. There is some money wrapped up into various size bushings and washers, but I do have my own working unit from that. So far, I have held off on purchasing any other material to build more...............don't count your eggs until they hatch!

This has been a fun learning experience and metal work is something I do for hobby and business and reloading and casting are just for fun. I would love to make at least one run of these, after putting the work into them, so am hopeful there will be a few people who will pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post

Thank you for taking the time to measure that out and for getting good pictures. That should let me know if my press will work or if it needs more throw. I haven't had a chance to compare them yet, but will do it. If I need more photos, I will let you know. Thanks!

Awkward is a relative term and subject to personal opinion, so it may be awkward for you but is/would be the cat's meow for some of us. The dirt cheap lee press that I flipped upside down with a home made bracket was far more awkward than this. The RCBS LAM I is quite awkward with a short handle and little room to set boolits. Having to remove the boolit every time is wasted effort.

A star sizer would be awesome, especially with a Mr. Bulletfeeder. Instead, I built an automatic sizing machine to also use the lee sizing dies and my Mr. Bulletfeeder sits on top and feeds the boolits nose down. It uses and air cylinder and will do a few thousand boolits per hour. Even with that, I still had a need for the single stage press sizer to add gas checks to PC boolits, and others wanted a simple single stage style press with lower cost than a Star or automatic boolit sizer.

The little lee press (the cheap $35 one) took too much effort for me to want to do any quantity on it. Neck and back issues, along with other health issues, made it very uncomfortable to use and would leave me in pain for a while. Let me tell you, it was fun to use V2 of my press and the leverage of the mechanism and longer handle made it much easier than the lee, even with dry boolits. With lubed (hornady one shot) boolits, they slipped right through. This press also looks much nicer than the contraption I whipped up with scrap parts for the lee, and it has a small footprint.

My rifle boolits still get Cred lube and a star is not cheap, so for the smaller volume that I use, the RCBS works.

Different strokes for different folks.............

Update Status:

It seems that this forum does not have a mobile site, and I can not post from my phone (don't use tapatalk) when out of town. This weekend I worked Sat night into Sunday morning and likely won't get to work on this, but did want to respond to posts.

While I really like V2, I do want to see what it would take to use the NOE setup. If V2 won't do it, I might make a version 3 to handle it. It would be good to know how many people would really want the NOE option, if it requires a new version of the press. I'm planning to take the 19-26th of December off (and don't have anymore long out of town jobs on the calendar for right now) and should get to look at this closer.

I have not heard back from No1................the message must not have gone through so I will try again. Unfortunately, this project is in a bit of a limbo until I have an appropriate place to continue it for those who are interested.

I do appreciate the interest in this project and the patience with the slow progress.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast