Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: WTB/WTT for SASS legal guns

Boolit Buddy

WTB/WTT for SASS legal guns

I found a local SASS club, and I've always wanted to try cowboy action. So, I need some guns. I'm not oppsed to bp revolvers (that would save me some loading time). Ihave guns for trade if desired. Whatcha got? Pm me.

Boolit Buddy
    You can try out guns before buying
    Just go to the match.. cowboys will let you use their guns and ammo.
    They are very generous and helpful.
    It’s the cowboy way.

Boolit Master

Check this site down the road from you, probably some of the best people you can shot with.

http://vvc.lrsa.info/

Boolit Grand Master

How do you want to start, a good rossi 92 is a LOT cheaper than a 73 and a cap and ball cheaper than a SAA. PM me for an e mail and I will let you know what we got and see where you want to go.

Boolit Bub
    I enjoyed SASS but never got the Mrs. interested. Haven't been to a shoot in over two years. I have a pair of stainless Ruger Vaqueros in 38/357 that have had an action job and only about 1000 rounds through them. Also, a pair of blue Ruger Old Army black powder revolvers with a nice holster set and at least one extra cylinder. If either trip your trigger, contact me regarding a trade.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 12 ga Baikal that has been tuned for CAS. Action worked, chamber edges relieved, barrels shortened to 18 1/4" and lengthened forcing cones, LOP reduced to make it faster to mount. All work done by a CAS gunsmith here in MI. Price is $500 firm plus shipping. Stopped shooting CAS over a decade ago but the gun was competitive....took 6th place in the shotgun event at the MI state one year with it.

Two Colt SAA's in .357 with 5 1/2" barrels. These were also professionally tuned and are very slick. Should use Federal primers in it. Price is $3800 for the pair. I have an Evil Roy holster rig for Colt SAA 5 1/2" barrels if you are interested, 38" waist. It will take any of the SAA clones as well. $400

Also a Marlin Cowboy .38 Spl with 20" Octagon barrel and Marbels tang sight. $1100.

Uberti 1873 short barrel in .357, with Marbles sight. Highly tuned and will require use of Federal primers for reliable ignition. $1500

BTW, I started with much less expensive options and if all you want to do is have fun, stick with SAA clones (the Great Western are some of the best if you can find them) or Rugers (what I started with) for the pistols and a Rossi 92. The Rossi is not a bad gun but way too slow and none of the top competitors used one when I shot. Budget about $3000 for decent stuff. What I have listed is better than decent. Not sure if you shoot trap but it I will use it as an example.... You can shoot trap at the local range with an 870 and break birds....but it is not a competitive trap gun...don't believe I have ever seen one at an ATA match in the last 10 years. If you start with cheap stuff (under $2000 total) you will become frustrated and will be trading it. The great thing about CAS is you can have a lot of fun and not win anything. Mostly you will find really good folks who like to shoot and BS a bit.

As others have said, most guys will let you shoot their guns. I let a lot of people try mine. Do not be offended if they will not allow you to use your reloads. I always supplied ammunition as I wanted to protect my investments. Have a few boxes of factory 12 ga shells for trying out the shotguns. Shoot as many guns as you can before buying.

Not interested in any trades as I am reducing my inventory.
    Last edited by dverna; 08-22-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have a blued 7.5" Ruger Old Army and a Kaido Ojamma 240gr 6 cavity mold that was developed for these 45 cal cap and ball rigs. I have a couple hundred bullets cast from that mold, 2-3 hundred .457" round balls (Speer and Hornady). The ROA has a very light trigger, I don't know if that's factory or someone slicked it up before I bought it. Let me know if interested.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Buddy
    I'd appreciate it if everyone would PM me offers.

dverna, those are nice guns, but that's a lot more money than I want to spend starting out.

It's funny. I used to shoot trap. An 870 wingmaster took me all the way to the national qualifier, probably because I had fired an incalculable number of rounds through it in my life up to that point.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    I'd appreciate it if everyone would PM me offers.

dverna, those are nice guns, but that's a lot more money than I want to spend starting out.

It's funny. I used to shoot trap. An 870 wingmaster took me all the way to the national qualifier, probably because I had fired an incalculable number of rounds through it in my life up to that point.
    Cowboy shooting is not cheap

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Cowboy shooting is not cheap
    No shooting is cheap, but you don't have to have $6,000 worth of guns. Either you can shoot or you can't. If you can't, more expensive guns won't fix that. Spending the extra money on ammo on the other hand......

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    No shooting is cheap, but you don't have to have $6,000 worth of guns. Either you can shoot or you can't. If you can't, more expensive guns won't fix that. Spending the extra money on ammo on the other hand......
    To be competitive you do.
    Two 1873's tricked out 2500.00
    Four pistols tricked out (Rugers) 3000.00
    Two shotguns tricked out 1200.00
    Leather 2 sets 1000.00
    Cart, clothes, ammo and other things. 1200.00
    Backup guns for when you travel 3 or 4 hours or more to a match.
    And gas, food and motel rooms.
    Welcome to SASS

Boolit Buddy
    Layaway is a wonderful thing

Boolit Buddy
    I see where this is going, and I should have known before I posted the thread.

I'm confused. Do you people want the sport of cowboy action to die? This elitist attitude is pervasive in the shooting sports, and it is the reason competition shooting is nearly dead.

Yes, you may edge me out by a second or so because your rifle is "slicker" or because you lightened your revolver's mainspring to the point that the gun is only reliable with certain primers. Good for you. The rest of us are just there to have fun, and we don't need you swarming us to point out the inadequacies of our equipment. That's the quickest way I know to scare new shooters off.

Btw, got a newsflash for you. A Colt single action and a Uberti clone will both need the same work to be "competitive", and they will both shoot equally well once that work has been done. I know because I used to do that work at a local shop.

I'll let the mods do what they will with this one. You guys have fun shooting with the same 10 people for the next 30 years.