Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gator Gas Checks

Boolit Buddy

Gator Gas Checks

G,day,
    Have always used Hornady and Lyman GC, thinking of trying Gators ,any feed back on their product?Prices here in Aus, are way up there, ie .30 cal hornady $89 per
    1000. Any comments would be welcome. I may have found a source in US that will ship GC to Au.

Cheers Mal in au.

Boolit Master

They are on par with Hornady. I switched to them when I found them. I am working my way into making my own at the moment. I used the 6.5mm, .27 cal, and 30 cal.

Working on making my own gas checks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I have been using gator gas checks from a member hear and love them , Sage's Outdoors makes a nice 30 caliber gc as well , but I don't know how shipping out of country would work out . I don't think you will be disappointed with them .

Boolit Master
    We in Australia don't have a large selection but I have used Gator checks and found them better than Hornady. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys,
    Stephen where did you get your Gators? I have opened an a/cc with sages ,I am hoping they will ship to A U ,I wonder why we in Au are seen to be undesirable people to sell to?

Cheers Mal in au.

Boolit Buddy
    Hahndorf, Cast bullet engineering in QLD have the Gators for $70 per 1000.

NOE bullet moulds sell them so i sometimes add some to my order whenever i buy a mold from them. It doesn't add anything to the postage cost i'm already spending on getting the mould shipped here.

What caliber do you need? I can send you a sample of 20 to try out if i have any size you're after

Gator checks are what I went to after use of the others that was stated.I still have some left of the other but have the gators.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Cammo I am ok for now just need a supplier for the future,albeit at a price,Gators sell in the states for about $22 US that’s about $35 au.

Cheers Mal.

Boolit Master
    its not we dont like you down there. is problem the way we have to put all the info on the shipping label . IF they should open the box and find gun related parts is a fine.
    they may not open but if they do is a big problem if the label is not what it says it is .
    rick

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all for reminding me to order Gator gas checks from Sages.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hahndorf1874 View Post
    Thanks Guys,
    Stephen where did you get your Gators? I have opened an a/cc with sages ,I am hoping they will ship to A U ,I wonder why we in Au are seen to be undesirable people to sell to?

Cheers Mal in au.
    I got some from CBE Moulds they stock them. I have been using some made by a guy in WA as well and will see if I can find his email for you as his are cheaper and very good as well. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Stephen much appreciated. A local supplier would be good.I use .30,6.5,& .22 checks, I have .35,.375,.25, Hornady checks which I have no use for ,900+ count for each.Can swap them out as well.
    Cheers Mal.

Boolit Master
    Used them in my 357 mag ,I think they are a little harder than hornaday but work fine .

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Has anyone tried both hornady and gator gas checks with the same given load to see if there is an accuracy difference?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Has anyone tried both hornady and gator gas checks with the same given load to see if there is an accuracy difference?
    I have tried both for accuracy and found no real difference in 357 max rifle loads, but did seem to have the odd flier with Hornady checks which I believe was due to them not crimping on properly due to short skirt. In 30 cal I found no difference, but in my 457 WM groups did improve out of sight with Gator checks, I believe this is because my cast are sized to .460 and the Gator checks seem to be made of thicker material and crimp better and maintain a good gas seal. This may not be what everyone else finds but I did and will only use Gator or the local Aluminium checks in my 458 WM. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

With 30 cal, 27 cal and 26 cal in Gator vs Hornady checks i have seen no difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Used the same load in my 357 the gator ones shot a couple of inches higher than the hornady in my win trapper ,I think they are a little harder and up the pressure slightly .

Gator 45 cal checks are the the only checks I've had to anneal before getting them to stay on. I'll spend a few extra bucks and not have the extra step. Aluminum seem fine, no so much with the copper ones,bad lot ? Never had that happen with Hornady.

Boolit Buddy
    You will not be disappointed, they are a little hard to get on some boolits but they are there to stay once sized. Iv had boolits hit metal plates and fall on the ground with the gc still attached.

In Remembrance
    The Gator's are made from gilding brass just like Hornady, same thickness metal. If I remember right, its 95% copper and 5% zinc. Copper .45's are made with .017 thick metal. Of-course the tooling isn't the same, but the dimensions are very close obviously. Sage's Outdoors has a .45 version in gilding brass too. Its very similar in dimensions, a little taller I think. But, they are all made with .017 thick gilding brass also known as CDA 210 copper. The the aluminum .45's are usually made from .015 thick H14 metal, .018 for the rifle versions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast