MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Mauser 66 Opinions?

Boolit Master

Mauser 66 Opinions?

Does anyone have any experience on the 66? The LGS has one for sale with 4 barrels: 270, 30-06, 308 open sights and 308 scoped. I had never seen a 66 in the flesh until today.

I am just wondering about opinions from owners. The design looks robust and is as smooth as any high end rifle I have ever handled. I think this one has the single set trigger with the little safety actuator on the side.

As usual, any advise or opinions are appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Not my opinion but a well written opinion piece on the Mauser 66:

http://revivaler.com/the-mauser-66/

The Mauser 66 was a product of the sixties and seventies, a post-war era that has given us some of the most creative and desirable motor car designs, and some of the most creative rifle designs, of which the Mauser 66 is undoubtedly one of the best examples. Designed by the visionary Walter Gehmann it endures as a rifle to use and enjoy, or to collect and enjoy, or both
    And the Mauser 66 user manual: http://revivaler.com/wp-content/uplo.../Modell_66.pdf

Boolit Master
    Thanks a bunch!

A gun crank in the big house down by the river sold my brother a M77 Ruger 25-06. He asked if we wanted to see his new one. Out comes the Mauser 66- the coolest bolt action I'd ever seen in my 14 years. And it was engraved and had the most beautiful wood. It was a 25-06 as well. A vivid memory!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    When I was twelve I worked all summer and got together enough money to buy myself a new Remington 700 BDL in 243 WIN and a Bushnell Scopechief IV 2.5-8x with Weaver mounts whole thing and a box of 100 grain CoreLokts cost me less then $250 . A couple months later my father and I were at a friends house and he had a Mauser 66 in 243 WIN that was scoped and he wanted to sell it for $275 . I tried to trade him my nice new 700 BDL but we never struck up a reasonable deal .

I still want one , but my other youth want has come first ! Since I was about 8 I've wanted a Mannlicher Schoenauer MC or MCA carbine and in the last few years I've picked up three of them 243 , 270 and 308 .

But in time I'll get a 66 most likely in 243 , 25-06 or 270 .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

That telescoping action is pure genius. I also lusted after the ColtSauer of that era with the buttress locking lugs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That telescoping action is pure genius. I also lusted after the ColtSauer of that era with the buttress locking lugs.

A guy in our gunclub has a Colt Sauer in 300 Weatherby . I can still remember reading Gun World when I was in middle or high school when the Colt Sauer first hit the market .

Oshman's had a cutaway action of the Colt on a stand on the counter where we could play with it!

Boolit Master
    I saw a pic. somewhere of a 66 with full length (mannlicher) stock with beautiful carved fish scale type checkering, double set trigger....I'd trade body parts for it!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I saw a pic. somewhere of a 66 with full length (mannlicher) stock with beautiful carved fish scale type checkering, double set trigger....I'd trade body parts for it!!
    I seem to remember seeing two or three of them in the gun mags back in the late 70’s early 80’s . I’m quite fond of Mannlicher stocked rifles . And I like the late 50’s and 60’s Mannlicher Schoenauer Carbines a bit more , I’d truely love to find an Mannlicher Schoenauer MC or MCA Premier Grade with everything engraved and or carved !

Boolit Buddy
    I own a Mauser 66 in 9.3*64 Brenneke.
    Action is smooth as Silk but nowadays many actions are very smooth.
    The big thing on a Mauser 66 is the telescopic Action which makes the Rifle about 4 Inch shorter then a conventional Rifle with the same length of Barrel.
    Another advantage is the quick Take Down ability. One can change out different Caliber Barrels within a couple of minutes, the only limitation is the Bolt face diameter must match the new Cartridge.
    Barrels for the M66 are still manufactured by O Repa and others in Germany for around 800.**

Cheers

Boolit Grand Master
    Got any pictures?