Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big closeout sale at Wal-Mart on Weatherby and Savage Axis

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    IMO the Minis have been overpriced since O was elected. That is good news.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I've owned 3 of those darned things and as far as I am concerned, when someone is shooting it, the safest place to stand is right in front of it! LOL, 5-7 inch groups were the norm.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I've heard the new Minis are more accurate but I'm not buying one for $600 to find out. My old ones would do 4" on a good day.

I have a newer one now and it does about 3-4", I guess that's about as good as you can expect from a Mini14. I have a friend named Jimmy McCullough who runs McCullough Rifle Co. who can make the older ones tack drivers with a new barrel and some other tricks he knows. If I wasn't so hard headed, I would have let him fix the first one and been $ ahead.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

They do this every year right around this time. Blow out the unsold inventory. Not advertised, be quick or they are sold
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I wonder how well the Mini responds to load development? My Zastava 85 bolt action with flyweight barrel shoots great with .222 level loads, I would think the Mini would too.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I wonder how well the Mini responds to load development? My Zastava 85 bolt action with flyweight barrel shoots great with .222 level loads, I would think the Mini would too.
    I have a mini stainless that was bought new in the mid 90s. It shot minute of softball with most off the shelf factory but came into minute of angle with berger 62 or 64 grain using ww748 and prepped surplus brass. I hear the newer ones are more accurate. It is much easier to get an AR to shoot well and now days for less cost. Back then my colt AR was over 1k and the mini was bought for 400 bucks. It just makes sense to go another route than a mini now. They're not bad rifles, I just believe they're overpriced in today's market.

Ebner

ebner glocken, you are spot on with the "not bad rifles" but they are not as accurate as we might like them to be. In all fairness to Ruger, of the 4 I've owned, the one I have now(new model) is the only one that ever gave any feeding or ejecting problems and the factory fixed it pronto. It runs like a top now. I bought it when Obumer was in office, and I guess I'll just be content with softball sized groups. Yeah, you can get an AR platform to shoot better but I thought it was an ungainly, ugly duck when I first ran across one in the Army and it has not gotten prettier, to me at least) in the subsequent years.

I'll continue the drift by saying the Mini is much preferred by me for ergonomics and light weight. I've owned two old models and both would eat rocks and shoot them. I jumped a bedded buck with one and it came to my shoulder like a quail gun and two quick shots later the buck was dead. But at heart only accurate rifles keep my interest so down the road they went. If they drop down to the $400 level I will own another! ARs are fun to put together and shoot(I have several) but they are not comfortable hunting guns.

Boolit Master
    One of the advantages of being retired is that I could watch Brickseek.com and find out which stores had which guns on closeout. I missed out on the $399 Mini and the $169 10/22 takedown, but I did manage two Weatherbys. One 270 and one 30-06. Both $249.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Local Wall Mart is "cleaning out the stock" as I was told today. Went to look, and ended up with the Axis 30-06 XP, Bushnell scope 3X9. For $199 could not pass that up as a cast boolit shooter. Clerk said he will find something else to replace in on clearance, so going back after work.
    Merry Christmas,
    DWD

Moderator Emeritus

Spoke to my local Walmart in Winchester, VA and told her about other Walmarts discounting firearms. She responded not here, not with my guns. Oh well.

Boolit Grand Master

I've twice made the trip to ask or see if the local WM had a reported sale I read about here. It appears to be only a store by store thing, but not here. All I found was shelves of 22 Lr in good supply.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Once they were gone, back in August or September, they were gone. Sorry you missed out.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would guess that most new Mini sales today are in places where AR's and the like are banned or severely restricted, since they are functionally the exact same thing. I wouldn't turn down a Mini if I found a good deal, they are nice guns and it would be fun to experiment with one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

Same here. Everytime someone post about a Walmart sale I check the local one and its not happening there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Spoke to my local Walmart in Winchester, VA and told her about other Walmarts discounting firearms. She responded not here, not with my guns. Oh well.

Boolit Master
    It is definitely a store by store event. My Walmart carries no centerfire rifles or shotguns, only a few black powder guns and equipment. One has to check for when it gets discounted. I purchased a new blue steel CVA Wolf for $79, and a year later a stainless one with a cheap scope for $120. 777 pellets for $14/box of 100. I have not been so lucky the past couple of years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12