Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you forget your conceal piece...

Boolit Bub

When you forget your conceal piece...

Ever been on a schedule and realized you forgot your piece at home? What a feeling of helplessness! I traveling in my home town and still had a piece in the car, but it stayed in the car when I went into places. So I still felt helpless part of the time. Very comparable to Samson with a fresh buzz cut, I’d suppose. You watch the crowd very differently when you know you’re equals or perhaps even worse, lesser. I’m reunited now and doing good. Perhaps before the never haves jump in, I forgot my cell phone at home a few days ago too. It is, perhaps considered by some, pretty darn important in a safety aspect as well. So I guess I’m losing it or living on the edge. Anyways, been carrying since my 18th birthday, so I’m so used to the feeling that sometimes you forget in the subconscious to differentiate carrying and not carrying. Maybe?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yes. Only a week or so ago, I thought mine was in my gym bag and when we got to town and I went to pocket it, I realized I had taken it out of the bag (which was so odd that I forgot it) and put it elsewhere in the house. I actually had to go into a movie theater and watch a movie with the Missus without having a piece on me. It just didn't feel right. I had my truck gun with me for the ride, so I hadn't looked for my other gun earlier, but I can't carry my big ol' 6" Iver Johnson Buckhorn .44 mag in my pocket like I can my .44sp Bulldog Pug.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I can’t carry at work so I don’t have a habit of putting on a gun in the morning...there’s usually something in the truck though. If I for some reason don’t have my pocket knife I feel more naked than if I don’t have a gun.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    I have to be careful because I can't carry on Ft. Benning without the very real chance of getting locked up. If we need to go to the school on post I just carry a rather large Kershaw pocket knife, which is always in my pocket.
    I don't like going across the river unarmed. Columbus has a lot of crime, although it's mostly in the seedy parts of town. We tend to not go to that section of the city.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, when you grow accustomed to being armed you feel undressed when without. On the rare occasions that I'm unarmed I slip a pair of Linemans pliers in my pocket when doing things like getting gas. My tool bag is always in the back seat of my truck. I also have a walking stick in the back of the truck that does double duty as a head knocker. But nothing beats the feeling of having a trusted pistol close to hand.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    OK . . . someone here has to "rock the boat" . . .

Seems to me that the first thing that was always hammered in when being trained was that it was my job to know where my weapon was at all times . . . . . just sayin'. Hopefully when you forget to put it on, it is in a safe location where no one else has access to it . . kids, etc.

That said . . . it's easy enough to leave home without it when you've got a lot on your mind or in a hurry.

A I really do not like the thought that I have to be armed to feel safe in Fargo North Dakota.

B I do carry a 3.5" assisted opening knife daily.

C There is a small .22lr 10 shot semi auto pistol in a zippered bag in each cars driver door pocket.
    Pistols are unloaded, but magazines are loaded. I figure 30 seconds to slide home a mag, pull the slide and be ready.

D The rest is on me and my situational awareness. In the last 2 years I have yet to reach for the pistol.

E I do understand, about once a month I manage to walk out of the bedroom without the knife.
    Nothing feels right until I go get it.

Am I lucky that I live in an area without a lot of crime and violence, yeah, probably so.

Boolit Master
    It doesn't happen often, pretty infrequently actually but yes, I hate the feeling of being unarmed. If im out in public you can bet that 99% of the time, I have a couple options on me. My S&W 442, my assisted Kershaw and a couple speedloaders. I even keep several firearms on the ready in my house in strategic places. I feel pretty comfortable with that in mind.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I must say I have never forgot it (knock on wood ). I usually have my main 41 mag and some backup. To gosthawk i wish I did feel safe around here but it ain't n dakota. Have had robberies and ubductions only a couple blocks from my house. Gunfire at night is not uncommon anymore. This was a great neighborhood 25 years ago when we moved in. You can't leave a gun in your car or you wount have it long. On the bright side if i ever were to forget mine the wife is well armed and shoots at least as well if not better than me. I will blame that on bad eyesight i know it is not the best excuse but it's all I got.
    Last edited by RED BEAR; 08-20-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: stupid spell corection on this tablet

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Yeah, when you grow accustomed to being armed you feel undressed when without. On the rare occasions that I'm unarmed I slip a pair of Linemans pliers in my pocket when doing things like getting gas. My tool bag is always in the back seat of my truck. I also have a walking stick in the back of the truck that does double duty as a head knocker. But nothing beats the feeling of having a trusted pistol close to hand.
    Speaking of electrical solutions I have a 16" 4/0 copper cable laying across the console of my truck.

I was cutting wire for a 600 Amp electrical service and a 36" loop of 500 MCM copper cable fell over and barely tapped me on the kneecap. Took 20 minutes to get back on my feet.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    OK . . . someone here has to "rock the boat" . . .

Seems to me that the first thing that was always hammered in when being trained was that it was my job to know where my weapon was at all times . . . . . just sayin'. Hopefully when you forget to put it on, it is in a safe location where no one else has access to it . . kids, etc.

That said . . . it's easy enough to leave home without it when you've got a lot on your mind or in a hurry.
    Got to agree with this, but sometimes its not about forgetting. Things like traveling across multiple states that don't recognize your states CCW or going to multiple places where its not allowed. I do agree that part of the responsibility of carrying is knowing where your piece is.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Speaking of electrical solutions I have a 16" 4/0 copper cable laying across the console of my truck.

I was cutting wire for a 600 Amp electrical service and a 36" loop of 500 MCM copper cable fell over and barely tapped me on the kneecap. Took 20 minutes to get back on my feet.
    I used to carry a 12-14 inch piece of 500 MCM copper on the floor of my truck! I expect 4/0 would work just as well. My walking stick is a grubbing hoe handle and rides on the lip of my toolbox, right over the fuel tank door.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    ... about once a month I manage to walk out of the bedroom without the knife.
    Nothing feels right until I go get it.
    I too automatically feel helpless without my knife. It's really about the lack of tools. Guys that are not "handy" don't even consider the possibility, upon an equipment failure or situational challenge, that they should attempt a troubleshoot or repair. That ain't me. Seeing the solution but having no tool to get it done is the worst.
    A few years ago I discovered this Kershaw with a built in fold out screwdriver.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A221TL1U44XUWK
    Four bits can be stored in the handle and it has seen more use than any multitool I have ever owned (though I still always have one in my EDC gear). I have so many folders in my knife box, used to grab a different one depending on my mood...but unless I am hunting or standing next to a tool box this guy is pretty much the only knife I carry anymore.
    No gun feels weird but no knife feels downright useless.

Boolit Master
    I did manage to obtain a swing blade handle when I worked at the sawmill many years ago. The man that was using it shattered the blade and brought it up to me to see if i could weld it with the MIG welder. Well, of course not.I took the metal off of it and replaced the bolts just in case i might get another blade assembly for it. It has ridden in my cars and pickups for years now. I suppose if I ever hit anyone with it I'll be arrested because the bolts are still in it.....But they aren't coming out.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    When you forget your conceal piece...
    When I read this I thought of the people that have left it in the rest room.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I forget it as much as I forget my wallet...Not very often . I lays by my wallet on my chest of drawers with my keys so gets loaded daily . Worst mistake I ever made was leaving my Ruger LCP in my pants pocket and washing it in the washing machine .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    I forget it as much as I forget my wallet...Not very often .
    Yeah I don't very often either. However, I have pulled up to the pump without my wallet before. I'd say maybe a once a year or two average. Anyways, it happens. I knew where it was at, but just didn't have it with me!

Boolit Master
    I suppose I could forget,being forgetful however its never happened yet and going on 69 yrs old ,the only time I get separated from it is at the post office and then the wife babysits what I carry that day . Do not go anywhere my gun is not welcome and sleeping I have it within reach same in the shower and comes right down to it as it is a very important part of me I tend to keep it close 24/7 ,if I started getting in the habit of leaving it anywhere I know I would get to wondering where it was and I would not rest till it was close again (like the wife) Ed

After carrying off duty for a few decades I've developed a bit of a different attitude. Your concealed piece is nothing more than a tool, without it you are more limited than with. What is more important it to carry a brain and be aware of the situation around you, situational awareness is more vital than the carry piece. Often I see folks armed but completely lacking in situational awareness. Even unarmed if you are surprised something happened you must not have been aware of your surroundings. They used to teach this in courses like street survival and tactical awareness, it a mindset shift.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    I keep a hi cap pistol in the truck at all times, so no problem. I never forget to conceal when going to Phoenix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast