Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Lyman 350447 in the 1907 Winchester, .351 WSL

Banned

Lyman 350447 in the 1907 Winchester, .351 WSL

A few years ago, my brother and I started messing with and trading notes on the old 1907 Winchester. I played around off and on with mine, which is scoped. I even hunted with it successfully, story is here; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...317823-351-wsl

Though it worked, I wasn't real satisfied with the old .35 WSL bullet and plain based gas checks I was using. Accuracy was OK, but I got weird flyers more often than I was comfortable with and I theorize it is because the plain based gas checks came off some in flight. Bottom line, not a satisfactory bullet without some more work.

I got a NOS single cavity mold of the 350447, designed as a light weight bullet for the .348 Winchester, and cast a few of the standard 50/50 WW to range salvage + 1% tin, but water dropped them. I seated the gas checks and then ran them through a custom .352 sizer a fellow member here made for me. Then I dipped them in heated LLA up to the first driving band. This bullet is heavier than the data in my old Lyman manual calls for, so I went about a full grain under the minimum starting load data with 4227. I seated them to where they would just load into the magazine.

They function through the rifle flawlessly, and gave me three and a half inch groups at 100 yards. I didn't shoot very many, but I think this bullet has promise and because it has a decent meplat designed for use in lever guns with tube magazines, I should be able to soft point cast some and have a good deer load.

Boolit Grand Master
    That boolit didn't work very well for me in my Winchester 71, hope it works better for you.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.