Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: bryco 380 problems

Boolit Master

bryco 380 problems

my relative loaned one to me cause he said it jams and asked me to check it out. so far I found out it uses the firing pin as the ejector, and it don't go back far enough when cycling to cock it so the firing pin remains forward when trying to lift a round and the top of the rim hits the bottom of the firing pin. so far I removed the dirt and oiled, polished some surfaces, slightly lightened the recoil spring, and it still does it. I ordered fiocchi 380 ammo cause its listed as hotter so it may cycle them, I doubt any plus p ammo would cycle since its mostly hollow points and ive heard bad things, also not sure if its rated for it. anyone have one and know how to make the darn thing work ??

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a Jennings 22 (same design) that evidenced the same sort of problem, but it was resolved by my thorough cleaning of the striker, take down button and related surfaces on the slide. Dirt accumulates in the take down button that prevents the striker from going back far enough to catch the sear. Take a screwdriver that fits and scrape the dirt out of the hole in the take down button and replace the shortened recoil spring.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

From what you d escribe, it sounds like your firing pin is broken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

best thing for one of them is to crush it in your bench vise. they make better paper weights than pistols!

Boolit Master

You could buy the one I have and give that to him Just kidding, they are junky guns and unsafe, I would not stick anyone with it. Google Bryco lawsuit and make an informed decision.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Hi-point uses the firing pin as an ejector, and I have found that weak (home gunsmithing) sear springs and high power loads cause that same jam. I think that the higher slide speed causes the sear to "miss" the firing pin, but I know that if I load too hot it jams, and if someone has tried the youtube ballpoint pen spring "competition" trigger job, it jams. Weak recoil spring maybe?
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I was under the impression that's its not recoiling hard enough, because at the very end of slide travel, the last few millimeters is harder to move and that's when it cocks. aslo ive confirmed that slightly limp wristing jams it the same every time, and holding tight jams the same 1 in 3 times. but I cant really try anything till more bullets arive

Boolit Grand Master
    Just my view on those "Ring of Fire" pistols........you are trying CPR at an autopsy.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'll take the opposite tact and say, these cheapo pistols can give good service within their proper niche. Meaning, when you don't want to bring an expensive gun and you have one that works well. I would give it a good disassembly and cleaning first, the sear and spring could simply be stuck in place with dirt or solidified oil. It would be a good idea to try a couple of different kinds of ball ammo and see if it runs 100% on one of them.

Hi-Points are basically a plus size/heavy duty version of the old ROF pistols with better quality. Any tricks that work on Hi-Points will usually work on these, and vice versa.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Valid points, TO35. The venue you speak of is filled by Glock for me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Thanks bro, me too.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.