Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: BASENJI dogs for my daughter

Boolit Buddy

BASENJI dogs for my daughter

Folks,

My wife is thinking about a Basenji dog for our 8 year old daughter. She is an only child and our neighbors are in their 70s. No kids around. We have to be a bit careful for allergies. Non shedding. It will be living inside. Does any one have first hand knowledge of this breed.

Thanks!

Mike

Just one dog not dogs.

Our basenji was named Katy & was the sweetest & most loving dog we ever had not to mention the most interesting. Our current rescue dog is part basenji being one of the reasons why she was rescued.

They don't bark but let out a strange howl sometimes. They will often stand-up on their hind legs & are magicians at getting out of things (like fences). They typically are head strong & are noted for being more difficult to train. They are very clean & groom themselves by licking very much like a cat.

IMHO, Wonderful dogs!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks pertnear. I would like to hear more.

Here's a link with some good info on basenji's.

Katy asleep on my wife's lap as we watched TV. She was about 11yr old in this picture.

Attachment 225757

Here is Jessy on my dock. She's 3 years old & only part basenji, but a great dog also.

Attachment 225762

I also suggest you do a search on Youtube to see what they do & how they yodel.

Full blooded basenji's are a bit pricey if there really is a price on such a good companion! We have always had female dogs.

PM sent.

Dave
    Last edited by pertnear; 08-19-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: added Jessy's pic
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Step brother and his family had one. It would chew anything when bored and was not good with strangers as it it liked to nip at them if they tried to pet it until the day it died. They were not first time dog owners and had a difficult time training it basic things. I watched it ONCE for a week. Let them know it wouldn't happen again. It got along with our dogs, and eventually would get somewhat used to people it didn't see often, but I would never get one as a kids dog since they will have friends (strangers) over who might not fully understand that not all dogs want to be petted or held. All dogs are different though, they might just of had the jerk of the litter.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks guys. Watched some videos and did some reading. Good info.

Boolit Master
    We had one when I was a kid ,very fast ,great dogs can escape from anywhere ,make funny howl yodle noise when very excited or pleased to see you .very brave loyal dogs .they also hate the wet and cold.

Boolit Master
    We had one when I was a kid ,very fast ,great dogs can escape from anywhere ,make funny howl yodle noise when very excited or pleased to see you .very brave loyal dogs .they also hate the wet and cold.

Boolit Master
    The one I knew was very stand offish. Not unpleasant, but it definitely let one know when you got too close or too annoying. It seemed to be pretty smart and alert, but definitely not a people pleaser.

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    exactly. my good buddy had one for a decade till he died .he eas hard headed like a mule,but wise like a chimp. looking at some psychological reviews,seems like they have an independant nature. it is said that if they don't get the exercise needed,they're prone to chew on anything...also said to be ''wary'' of strangers and small kids. they were originally bred as hunting dogs...so that may explains their propension to be somehwat aggressive with the unknown. they're tough to train,they need to decide IF they wants to follow orders ......not sure it would make the best family dog when very young kids are involved.

but of course, dogs carry their own genetics and personalty.

https://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Breeds/...rsonality.aspx

https://www.hillspet.com/dog-care/dog-breeds/basenji

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    We've never had one but I've heard they are great dogs. Like any dog though, they all have different personalities but I would think if your daughter works with it, it would be devoted to her.

If your daughter has allergies . . . don't rule out a Poodle. We always had a variety of dogs - Cairns, part jack Russel, Basset, Lab-Shepherd, we now have a Poodle-Bichen and he's around 12 - totally devoted to my wife. I had to put my Lab-Shephard down and swore I wouldn't get another -too painful loosing them. BUT, we went to get dog food one time a few years ago and they had a little 10 pound Poodle rescue - all it took was to have them put it in my arms and it went home with us. She's been a great dog, very devoted and very smart. The nice thing is neither of our dogs shed - but - they do need to get groomed about every six weeks which costs about $40 to $45 for each of them depending on if we are in MI or AZ.

Whatever you get, I'm sure it will make your daughter happy and the companionship is a great plus. It can sleep with her on her bed - if you don't mind and it will also teach her responsibility in taking care of an animal.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide and I'm sure it will be a nice addition to your entire family.

Boolit Buddy

Thank you very much for your advise. We're still looking and thinking.

Boolit Buddy
    we had weimaraners for years.

Then we got a mutt. Much less stress with a cooperative low energy mutt.

Purebreds are just too... high energy and ...flaky.
    CARPE DIEM!.......

Boolit Buddy

My best dog was a mutt. Had some hound in him. Best dog ever.

Boolit Master
    There is a movie about a Basinji: "Goodbye My Lady" made in 1956. Starred Ed Harris. Dog showed up and they'd never seem one before, but turned out to be a very good quail dog. Friend of mine in Monroe, LA had one, and it was a fine dog.

Boolit Master
    Ours as called Huck ,It was a long time ago,he was never a threat to us kids .protected me from a gsd that used to chase us if it got out of it's garden it never came near me after that .

Boolit Buddy

Thank ya'll very much.