Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: 9mm woes and revelations.

Boolit Master

9mm woes and revelations.

i have a full size 1911 springfield in 9mm.

i have dozens of mixed brands ...but they are sorted by brands.

i use cast 125 grain truncated cones powder coated & sized .356 after p.c.

early on this summer i loaded 200 rounds of mixed stamp cartridges... pushed by 3.4 grains of PB powder,and checked all for 1.058 oal.

to further my attempts at shooting consistently .... i checked each of the 200 with a case gauge.
    known as the "plunk test" all 200 passed flawlessly.

now for the problem...only 1 in 4 would go into battery and shoot , making for a truly frustrating day.

then i remembered that i have a rock island 22 TCM...that came with a 9mm barrel and spring.

so i took the barrels out of both and started over doing the plunk test on the 2 disassembled gun barrels and the case gauge.

REVELATIONS!

the rock island barrel chambered all 200

the case gauge chambered all 200 easily

but...
    with the springfield barrel almost 160 would NOT go fully in.... and the remainder that did, were barely going in but with no room to wiggle.
    (some were tight.)

some were bulged from the cast boolit going in pretty much!...yet they chambered into the rock island barrel.

does anyone make a after market barrel for the springfield R.O. that is full size... and chambered closer to sammi spec than what i have? something that is plug and play? (drop in and shoot.)

instead of breaking them all down ....i'll just shoot them out of the rock island.

does anyone have a chamber reamer i can buy? that's slightly bigger than my chamber?

I think Doug Guy or Fermin Garza could ream the chamber for you. That would probably be your cheapest option.

I had Doug Guy work over a Ruger 45ACP barrel for me. Same problem you're having with your nine. The Ruger hasn't missed a beat since. Highly recommended. Gp

Banned
    I have a 1911 Llama where the barrel slugs out at .358 down to a Ruger at .355.

Like previously mentioned if your bores are similar, you could get them throated to use the same ammo.
    In my case, nothing would work.

Boolit Buddy

What brand of case gauge are you using?

Boolit Master

I have a few different 9mm. Each one will chamber different level of crimp or seat. My compact and revolver have the tightest chambers. I just fiddle with the seat depth and crimp till the dummy round will chamber in all the guns. There are always a slight varriance in the crimp and seating. I adjust the finnal seat and crimp so that even at my max variance it will still chamber in the guns. As long i seat and crimp at different steps, the bullets will function in all my guns with no leading. Seat and crimp in one step and it doesnt matter how close i custom fit the round to the individual gun. It will lead bad.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

I had the same problem with a Springfield....they are cut with little throat . I had to seat the boolits deeper than normal to get them to feed. If your load is not a Maximum load already, seating a little deeper will not raise pressures to any kind of dangerous level.
    I was working with 4 different 9 mm's , the Springfield was the one that required the shortest seating depth . A WWII era Walther P38 would chamber anything the Springfield was a bugger .
    Note: A case gauge does not guarantee a round will fit your pistols barrel....use your pistols barrel as a gauge and you wont have that problem again.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I have 8 different 9mm pistols and have had the trouble chambering rounds only when I was using boolits sized larger than .358.
    I own 4 Springfield pistols in 9mm one of which is a Range Officer and have had no problems with them handling boolits sized at .358 and smaller.
    The Range Officer will shave a small circle of lead off the front of a boolit sized larger than .358 that will build up and jam a cartridge. Sized smaller and it has no problems.
    I also haven't had issues with running into the rifling in front of the chamber unless I leave way too much of the front drive band exposed in front of the case. I normally load with about a good double fingernail thickness of the drive band showing.
    To the OP--- going a little shorter with your OAL will not cause problems with pressure. When I tried some shorter boolits in my Range Officer, I ran into problems with feeding because the OAL wasn't long enough. This will vary from gun to gun since each pistol makes it's own rules.
    If you need your barrel throated or rechambered, I can fully recommend DougGuy. He has done that work on three of my 1911 45ACP barrels and now they all work perfectly.

Boolit Master
    it's a dillon case gauge.

Where did you get the PB?
    Haven’t made it in years. It’s become unobtainium and older clay shooters will pay through the nose for it. They swear it’s the best 12 guage powder ever made.
    If you have a nice supply, sell it on a shotgun site and find another powder for your nine.

I found a pound of PB at a local shotgun store. It was on the sales table for $15 as a discontinued item. I'd never tried it before but at the price I decided I'd make it work for something. Good 45 Colt powder. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting. I had the exact opposite with my Springfields in 45 acp(2) and Rock Island 45 acp(2).
    Reloads that wouldn't chamber in the Rocks would drop right into the Springfields without a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a SA 9mm 1911 that had a tight throat as well. It wouldn’t chamber the majority of my .358 sized rounds that all my other pistols could and I was already seating deeper than I wanted. So I sent it off to Doug Guy here and had the chamber reamed. Now it cycles 100%.

Boolit Buddy
    Another option is NOE nose sizers. It just sizes the nose of the bullet and not the driving bands. Worked great for me on cast bullets that won't chamber in tight throats.

Boolit Buddy
    Another option is NOE nose sizers. It just sizes the nose of the bullet and not the driving bands. Worked great for me on cast bullets that won't chamber in tight throats.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ichthyo View Post
    I don't think would be worth the time to size twice and the expense to buy another sizer. Pistol rounds I'm loading a minimum of 100 rounds at a time, if not 500. Throat the barrel and never worry about it again.

Boolit Man
    I had similar issues. Crimping with a Lee Factory Crimp Die cured the problem for all but the very worst rounds. It smooths out irregularities on the case as you feed it in then makes a nice consistent crimp.