Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Feinwerkbau FWB300

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Feinwerkbau FWB300

I just purchased this 177 cal rifle from a surplus sale by an ARMY ROTC program. I know nothing about them and my air rifle knowledge stops at the Silver Streak pump that I purchased in the 70s. This rifle has one pump cocking that is so easy and smooth. It came with a sling, hand weight for forward hold and sights better than most rifles. When fired, the rifle goes out of battery, I've never seen that before. The cocking is so easy that a 10 year old could do it. It has a full blown target stock with everything being adjustable including buttplate,trigger, front stock hold,sight position,LOP.
    I was looking for a back yard rifle for plinking, feral cat control and so-forth. I think I over purchased.
    Do we have anyone that knows about these type rifles? Later Fairshake
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

The FWB300 is a single stroke pneumatic match air rifle. As such, your muzzle velocity is in the 600 area with 7-8 grain wadcutter pellets. It is an extremely accuate air rifle @ 10m. They were state of the art precision shooters and still have a following. Congrats and enjoy. A good winter time basement plinker.

If it is unusually easy to cock it may have a broken mainspring. It's hard to say from a written description.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with Tatume, the FWB 300 shouldn’t be super easy to cock. Never dry fire the 300. There is a Delrin-like buffer that the piston stops against when firing that should probably be replaced. If you see tiny flecks of plastic show up in the chamber area, it is this bumper disintegrating. Don’t keep shooting it if this occurs. The parts are available, and replacement isn’t too difficult. Instructions can be found on the web.

They are very nice rifles; great for practice. They do not create enough energy however, for humane varminting.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I lusted after one of these back in the early 80’s when I got my paws on a Beeman catalog! Only took 37 years to get a Beeman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've had one for about 40 years -- gets shot occasionally during the wintertime to keep the shooting eye in shape. Only thing wrong with mine is that the trigger is so much lighter and crisper than any other rifle I own it is hard for me to count shooting the FWB300 as "practice".

Thanks for the tip on the buffer deteriorating eck0313 -- after 40 years I'd better keep an eye out for that. Oh yeah Cajun, the FWB instructions tell you not to put any oil in the air chamber -- it is built not to need such stuff and mine hasn't had any in its modest lifetime.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    They are indeed SUPER easy to cock. If I remember correctly, it is only 9 lbs of force to cock them. In it's day it was the Olympic winner and the "out of battery" reaction that you observed is the recoiless feature. The entire assembly slides on metal rods so is absolutely not hold sensitive. Amazingly accurate. If the day comes that you can shoot as well as the gun is capable of shooting, I believe you will have arrived!

If it has the blue seal, it has been resealed and should be good for a long time.

I will never forget the first one I shot. I had been shooting a GAMO 126 with a rubber eye cup on the rear sight which I put my eye against to consistently position my head. This belonged to a friend and I wanted to "one up" him so I purchased an FWB 300. Not knowing about the sliding action of the FWB300, I used the same technique as on the GAMO. However the rear sight did not have a rubber eye cup so I had my eye VERY close to the rear sight. Rest assured I learned rather quickly that that is not a good idea. OUCH!

With the rather sedate velocity, it will be marginal for feral cats but with the accuracy, you may get by with proper shot placement. However I don't think I would recommend it.

As someone stated above, NEVER DRY FIRE this or ANY springer. I won't even shoot the felt cleaning pellets.

For sure, NO oil in the chamber of this or ANY springer. It can diesel or even worse detonate which is extremely destructive to the seals.

I still have 2 of them, a right hand for me and a left hand for my Grandson. MANY years ago Daisy imported pellets from Spain. They were just average grade pellets but were very accurate. I loaded up with several thousand of them. For me, they are still the most accurate pellet in these rifles. I'm sure there are more accurate pellets but I can't shoot well enough to tell.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I want to thank each of you for your input on my purchase of the air rifle. I know that it's in great condition as each rifle was checked by the Army Major in charge of the unit. He advised me that every one checked out at or over 600 FPS.
    I did dry fire the rifle twice, once before I was ready and once to hear how loud it is. The first firing was not really a accident per say, the trigger is so smooth and light that I applied too much pressure.
    I have never had the chance to shoot any air rifles of this caliber and I was curious to say the least. Once I had it all in front of me and thougt about it, the rifle needs to be with someone younger and has the time to do something with it.
    I'm thinking I may take some pics and see if I can sell it. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    FYI, your FWB was built before the Major was . . .

If it is still really shooting over 600 fps, it’s probably with 7.0 grain pellets. A little light oil once in a while on the cocking pivot points is a good practice too.

Enjoy, they are nice rifles. The new PCP guns don’t shoot much better than your 300, they are just easier to shoot well. One of my prize shooting medals is a Silver I earned a few years ago in a Sectional against a lot of new and expensive PCP guns with my FWB 65 - the pistol equivalent of your 300.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    The FWB300 is a single stroke pneumatic match air rifle. As such, your muzzle velocity is in the 600 area with 7-8 grain wadcutter pellets. It is an extremely accuate air rifle @ 10m. They were state of the art precision shooters and still have a following. Congrats and enjoy. A good winter time basement plinker.
    Just to be clear the FWB 300 is NOT a Single Stroke Pneumatic.

It is a Spring Piston Airgun with a sliding action which results in a nearly imperceptible recoil impulse. The whole action is on rails and is locked forward during cocking. When the shot breaks the action is released and travels backward counteracting the forward travel of the piston.

The reason why the gun is so easy to cock is because it doesn't have a big powerful mainspring. It is strictly a Target Rifle and the velocity will be around 600 fps. That velocity will not vary more than a few tenths of a Foot Per Second over as many rounds as you can stand to sit there and shoot. Also there is a ratcheting cocking lever that can be partially cocked without fear of Bear Trapping and ruining your day..

This is one of the finest examples of the German Airgun Craft that was ever made, and I had one and traded it like an idiot to my Dentist for a Gold Crown!

If you miss a shot with this gun it was YOUR FAULT... PERIOD... !!!!! These guns are as close to a laser as is possible with a mechanical thing.

Kind of frustrating in that regard.

Here's a picture of a Ace of Clubs I shot 10 shots thru at 10 yards in my living room in 1980. This was off a rest and I only wish I could shoot that well offhand. I'm quite certain the gun would have put every shot thru the same hole had it been in a vise.

As far as wearing it out, it ain't gonna happen. The Action/Mechanism Life on that gun is 6 Million Rounds!!!!!

You need to read up on the gun so that you can properly maintain it with the correct Lubricants.

Call Pyramyd Air and talk to their gunsmith for advice on maintaining this gun.

You scored big!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	74DEBA16-26FE-48FA-A205-50D8E081C430.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	226302

This is my 300, a Running Boar variant, I believe. I earned my NRA Distinguished Expert Badge shooting a Daisy import (?) marked FWB 300, and then proceeded to International Expert level by the time I graduated in ‘78. I can absolutely declare that shooting precision Air Rifle made me a better Small bore and later High Power Shooter.
    There are specialized lubricants available for your rifle. About a drop per year will suffice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4FC41B01-44DF-4F0B-AF64-19CF4E2755A0.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	226304
    Got-R-Did.
    Last edited by Got-R-Did; 08-29-2018 at 05:29 AM.

I always have my eye open for high end airguns when I go to gun shops. Most times they don't know what they've got and you can get them cheap. My most recent was a Weihrauch HW35E which was in poor cosmetic condition. I traded a HW70 pistol which was essentially new in box for it and I had $60 in the pistol!

I refinished the stock on the HW 35 and it is one of my favorite guns now. It looks new and even though it was made in 1979 it runs like new too. The high end Air Guns last forever if they are only taken care of.

Always looking for another FWB300, and getting one for a song would only be icing on the cake.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master

I have a lead on one, but have no idea what a reasonable current price would be.

Knowing the shooter that it belonged to it was well maintained.
    So what's a reasonable price?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    500 is reasonable for a very nice one with New style seals. Nice wood brings up the price a little. The more rare stocks and options run up the price.

Depending on how bad you want it? I paid $400 for mine in 1980 and sold it for a $400 Dental Bill.

For me the gun was frustrating to shoot because if I missed I knew exactly who's fault it was.

The gun was a laser. That said, I was an idiot for getting rid of it and would love to have another, but it would have to be a deal or I wouldn't get it.

I have had two guns I really regretted selling,,, the FWB 300 and my Sako Forester .243 which was also a laser. I bought the Sako in 1971 for $170, sold it in 1980 for $485 and saw one at a gun show last week that was in OK condition for $1500!

There are times I look in the mirror and see an Idiot! other times not as much.

Randy

Boolit Master

Gard72977
    Thank you for the information.
    Good to hear that it is worth a bit more than I was expecting. I will see how it shoots and then think about a new seal.
    No matter, it will likely out perform my abilities.
    It is part of take em all or take none deal, but that value makes the overall deal look better, at least reasonable.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I have a 300 also that has a left hand stock. It is my practice gun for my offhand shooting. It has helped tremendously. These air rifles are a dream to shoot. Like some of the others have stated if you miss it is you not the rifle.

gmsharps

Boolit Master
    Absolute tack driver. I also have a running boar 300. Bigger loading port, made for scope use. Have a 32X on mine. Long ago there was an article in Guns and Ammo called "Mini Sniping" by Peter Hathaway Capstick I believe. About what pro African guides do in their off time : snipe 9mm casings at 30 yards with Olympic grade air guns. Great article - got me to buy my 300.
    Taught my boys accuracy with that gun. We had 25 yards in backyard, eventually they graduated to empty 22 casings at 25.

Lets see if the link works : great read !
    http://www.minisniping.org/articles_petercapstick.html
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    The low effort to cock the FWB 300 was a patented feature, about 1/3 the effort to do versus the competition's model's at the time.

I've one with the tyrolean stock, pretty much made for offhand shooting only. All what has been said here about their accuracy is true.