RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Don't Overlook The Chamber(s) Just As Important As The Throat.

Vendor Sponsor

Don't Overlook The Chamber(s) Just As Important As The Throat.

This has been the week for chamber weirdness it seems. Had a couple of problem children come in that would not chamber even factory ammo half the time.

One was the cylinder of a S&W Model 22-4 of 1917 Classic. In .45acp. In the customer's own words:
    The chambers are smaller than SAAMI maximum. Enough so that factory ammo with full metal jackets chamber with few problems using moon clips. But my cast lead reloads only go in about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. My reloads plunk in a case gauge and in my Ruger SR1911. I end up trying to swage them down smaller and simply cannot do it for this gun.
    The cylinder came in and I could not get a .471" gage pin all the way down in some of the chambers, none of my assorted dummies would chamber. Surprisingly, all of the throats were .4525" on the nose and very even at that! After computing chamber depth to be .819" using my self made headspace micrometer, I set a collet depth stop on a Manson reamer that I had Dave grind the throat section off, this one is strictly for cutting the chamber depth and diameter. I used this modded reamer and was surprised at the metal it removed. It filled the flutes completely in each hole. It wasn't just a shave, the chambers were seriously undersized and egg shaped as well. Once the reamer finished it's work, a .474" gage pin would go all the way down to the headspace ledge and turn, this is as it should be.

After adding the chamfer to the back, polishing and rebluing the holes, I could hold a speedloader 6" to 8" above the cylinder and drop it onto the cylinder where 9 out of 10 attempts had it falling fully into the chambers like butter. I am sure the customer will have a big grin on his face the first time or two he takes this gun out to the range!

The other one was a Springfield EMP in 9mm caliber. This one came in and none of my dummies would plunk, none of his handloads would plunk, I pulled one of his dummies and the boolit was down to .353" on one side and in the case all eccentric. The chamber would take a .379" gage pin at the largest. If you subtract the .012" case walls from the gage pin's diameter, you come up with .355" which will be too small to perform well in the barrel once fired. His empty cases were .379" and barely fit in the chamber.

Dave Manson sent me a finishing reamer with the throat section made onto it so it cuts the chamber and the throat, which worked great in the chamber, after reaming, the chamber was .382" at the headspace ledge, which is perfectly acceptable. But after pinning out the throat it wasn't quite to my satisfaction so I used another modified Manson reamer, this one ground down from a 35 caliber rifle throater (cuts a larger throat) and I throated the barrel with this to get enough .358" freebore to finish the job.

This gun had been sent back to Springfield twice, and they either failed or refused to address the less than SAAMI spec chamber, or the issues the customer was having with it.

As important as the throat diameters are, this just goes to show that throats can be and often are just one part of the problem..... Revolver chambers that are cut with uneven reamers are different in volume as well as size, these will definitely contribute to pressure variables when the gun is fired, not only can extraction be improved by finish reaming the chambers -IF- they are undersized, but groups will improve also when all of the chambers and throats are identical in size and volume!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

do you sell any dvd's of how to, I would love to learn this aspect of firearms and have accumulated some reamers but need to learn alot before I ever attempt to use them.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I have had many 1911 chambers that were egg-shaped and cleaned up nicely with a Mansen Chamber reamer. I have concluded that many 1911 barrels are machined in the annealed condition( to prolong cutter life) and then the chambers distort slightly during heat-treatment. Some chambers were also undersized; I assume to improve accuracy. Low heat can also stress-relieve the barrrel's heat-treatment and cause slight egg-shaped distortion, particularly when rapid-fire shooting on a hot day. So I've gotten into the habit of running the Mansen reamer into the chambers again, while cleaning the barrel, to check for any additional stress-relieved chamber distortion. I do this a number of times to be confident the barrel chamber is dimensionally stable after some rapid shooting in hot weather.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I had a similar problem with a Ruger Vaquero in .44-40, cylinder throats were .425 and barrel groove .429.

Chamber necks in cylinder were also tight at .444" so these had to be opened up as well as the throats.

John Taylor corrected the cylinder using a .44-40 reamer to recut chamber with .4475" chamber necks and .4305" cylinder throats. Gun shoots .430 bullets like a rifle now.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

The Springfield EMP Doug writes about is mine. Springfield refused to recut the chamber so it was up to me to either trade/sell the gun or fix it. I planned for EDC carry with it and like the size so I sent it to Doug to work his magic. The barrel came back Saturday and now plunks my loads quite well. I planned to go to the range today, but forest fire smoke in the area will probably keep me inside today. I'll post results when I get to the range. Doug's work is first class and he communicated with me all thru the process. I will be sending more work his way!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Update...……....Smoke cleared a bit so I went to the range with my 9mm EMP. Fired about 200 rounds. Carry ammo functioned perfectly. Cast boolit ammo that plunked fired perfectly. Cast ammo that didn't plunk fired about 50% so I got some of my brass back . Pistol accuracy appears to be better, but the idiot pulling the trigger had some failures. Getting old is a b**ch! Thanks Doug for your good work.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Doug I didn't know you messed with chambers. I have a problem with my Camp 9. It has below minimum headspace and crushes cases. It shoots very nice but I have various 9mm loads that have the case mouth over top of no man's land - crimp groove of revolver bullet, tumble lube groove, or jacketed bullet cannelures. When it feeds, these loads crimp into no man's land, and sometimes even go up the throat a few thousandths.This can't be good for pressures.

I would have had it sent out already but it shoots plain base cast into 2" @50 yards and the ranch dog 135 gc into 0.5" at 50 yards. I thought I remember hearing from you that you only take barrels or cylinders. Is that still the case?

I have read that Marlin has these headspaced short for a reason, and that is sothe bolt and breechface don't beat each other to death. I would trust you to take out all but .003 or .005 whereas I don't trust any of the local yokels to not ruin my gun. Plus you could throat it at the same time.

https://imgur.com/5lxd6qW

https://i.imgur.com/q5SiPdK.jpg

These are not my pictures but they are from someone else's Camp 9 who was having the same issue.
    Last edited by mnewcomb59; 08-20-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Yeah I can take it as long as it doesn't have a serial number on it.. Not enough revenue in this type of work to pay for an FFL.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I worked for 15+ years for the world-leading maker of Coordinate Measuring Machines, (Zeiss). While many industries (especially automotive) embraced our technology with great enthusiasm, we could never get the firearms industry to even give it a try. Pathetic. Using our machines and statistical process control techniques, GM and Ford NEVER MAKE a block or a head that's out of tolerance. The process is so well engineered and so closely monitored (by our machines) that even deviations of 1/4 the allowed tolerance trigger corrective action. Tools get replaced or resharpened long before they're worn out. You'd THINK that this mindset would have trickled down to our gun makers, but apparently not.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    here is more of what doug was trying to say ....((( i think )))....

i recently loaded up 9mm with a 125 grain truncated cone boolit sized to .356
    didn't have time to disassemble my springfield 1911 in 9mm luger to "plunk test" each round, so
    i relied on the Dillon case gauge to "plunk test" 200 rounds.

got to the range (700 miles away) and much to my disappointment only 1 in 7 would close the slide.

REVELATIONS!

not all 9mm are the same...(really no 2 barrels are the same)

my springfield barrel is tight at the case mouth...at .381"
    my dillon chamber case gauge is a little tight ...at .3825"
    my rock island barrel is the loosest at case mouth ...at.385"

everything "plunked in just right" on the case gauge...but only 1 in 7 would close the slide into battery.

however...all 200 went into the rock island with NO problems.

so i pin gauged both barrels and the chamber gauge ...the resulting drawing will explain it.

Boolit Master

Interesting. A friend has a S&W model 60 .357 Magnum that has extra tight chambers. Factory ammo is fine, but we tinkered around a bit finding the right reloading dies that would size brass enough to work for that gun. Even then he has to sort his brass and test each one. Some brands just don't work. Next time I talk to him I'll mention that I know where he can send it if he wants it fixed.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Another good example, a Ruger .40 S&W Blackhawk cylinder shot fine with factory jacketed, but with .401-.402 cast bullet rounds wouldn't chamber. I had a .429 Manson reamer I had ordered for another project and with the additional release clearance the .40 S&W eats everything now and is more accurate. I have no further need for this reamer, so an gifting it to Doug, any of you guys with snug .40 S&W or 10mm revolver chambers, he will be able to fix them soon.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    a further example...