Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: PPB in gas guns?

Boolit Bub

Question PPB in gas guns?

Does/has anyone tried PPB's in gas operated guns? I'm thinking in particular of AR's. I recently got a .450 Bushmaster upper and wanted to use cast bullets, but the consensus of those over at 450bushmaster.com is that you have to use gas checks that are at least .10" tall to breach the gas port, or the bullets will gas cut. What are your thoughts or experiences?

Boolit Master

Can not speak for that caliber. I shoot the 6.5 Grendel. Hornady and Gstor gas checks are super short for that cal. I dont have a problem.

Not sure of paper patching in a gas gun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

My thoughts would be to try it and see.

The paper patched boolit should be a pretty tight fit in the bore so only once the port starts to open would there be any tendency to gas cut. Is that enough time? Sure, the paper will cut but the alloy? And if a hard enough alloy is used? But even if gas checks are used, that's only one extra step and might improve accuracy by providing a clean, even boolit trailing edge. I would imagine that only the boolit trailing edge would gas cut so the length of the g/c would not be an issue. Am I off the mark?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

We know that cast bullets cause no problems in gas operated weapons; M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1A, and AR's all function well with cast bullets, so why wouldn't a patched bullet work? Unless there is a burr on the inside of the barrel where the gas bleed is the only real problem I see is feeding and keeping the patch in one piece. In other words, the same problem with paper patched bullets in any repeating rifle. Brodie

Exactly. My M1 shot just fine with PPCBs, but getting them into the chamber undamaged was the challenge. It worked just fine as a single shot but not as a repeater.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I shot an SKS with some and did get some piston lead fouling .
    Armed with that the gas port would swollow a .128 #30 drill bit and the groove was .3165 with the port splitting the land on the load side . So basically everything was wrong that could be wrong .
    The rifle was minute of gallon antifreeze bottle at 50 yd with factory 123s the PP 200 gr spitzer eventually made 3×5 groups at 100 fed from the mag .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .