Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Cleaning brass

Boolit Mold

Cleaning brass

So normally I Dont clean my brass but thought I would give it a try. I used the old NRA mix of 1 pint of hot water, 1 cup of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of dish soap.

Shook them around in the mix for a good 5 mins then rinsed them in hot water for about 10 mins. I made sure to dunk them in clean water then rinse under flowing water, then repeat.They looked pretty clean so I left them in the sun to dry on my picnic table.

Then I noticed that there was white residue in the primer pockets, in the casing and on the rims. It wiped off with a paper towel but was wondering if that's normal?

Think in the future I will get a tumbler and crushed walnut hauls. Or just not clean them like I have been for a few years. Any idea on the white residue? Thanks

Boolit Master
    You mean never tumble your brass at all? Man I tried that when I first started reloading and got scratches all over my brass from.my dies getting dirty and gritty.

If you are going to buy a tumbler may I suggest the Franklin rotary. It's worked really well for me and though a bit more up front (depending on the tumbler you are going for) it uses soap and water....and a dash of lemishine but not necessary...gets them super super clean.........and no lead dust from the media floating around. Super safe

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Take a look at the stickey above on Citric Acid Brass Cleaner......effective cheap and easy.

Boolit Buddy
    Before I bought a tumbler I would shake them around in hot water and dish soap. It got them fairly clean.

What Ed said about Citric Acid.

Tried it once, was hooked. I don't tumble at all.

I am using dollar store fruit fresh. Have a lifetime supply the way I have been going.

1 teaspoon of citric acid, couple of drops of Dawn dish soap, an ice cream bucket, and hot water to cover the brass. I normally heat a teapot full to just about boiling then added from the faucet if I need a bit more.

Several good swirls, let it sit and cool for a bit. Then 2 rinses in hot water.

Run them into a strainer and shake well then transfer to a cotton hand towel. Sitting on the couch watching whatever turns my crank I start processing.

At that point I admit I go a bit OCD, I like to run a brush in each primer pocket. Then roll the case on a towel laying on my leg to remove any stubborn gunk.

Insides you can see brass clear to the touchhole without a flashlight.
    Outsides may not look like new, but they don't look bad.

When done they get an overnight sitting on the stove pilot light warm spot wrapped in a towel.
    Leaves them very very dry by morning.

That is what works for me. I know a lot of guys swear by stainless pins and tumbling, lemishine, etc.

I'm not that fussy.

I'll never go back to running dirty brass through my dies.

Clean brass and a minor smear of sizing lube and they slide right through the sizing die.
    YMMV.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't comment on the white residue, but I don't think it has anything to do with the brass itself. Perhaps a leftover from the solution. I reloaded 12 years before I got a tumbler, and I just wiped each case with a solvent dampened rag as I inspected it. I had no scratched dies and no damaged chambers. After 20 years of tumbling brass I have settled on corn cob blast media for most of my brass cleaning. I just tumble to get most of thr brass clean and not to get glossy, shiny brass but do shine my Garand brass so I can find it in the dirt at my "range"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I like clean so I can see defects. Use both wet and dry depending on my mood.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Yeah I'm going to try the citric acid next time.

Boolit Master
    PS lemishine = citric acid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

you can also find citric acid in the canning section this time of year as well.

Boolit Master

My wife picks up citric acid in the bulk spice section of a local grocery store.
    I use citric acid and dawn soap in my Lyman Cyclone tumbler.
    I also have a Lyman 1200 vibratory tumbler that I fill with ground walnut shells.
    I use the rotary for very dirty/stained pickup brass and the vibratory to clean off sizing lube...dale