Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: cell phone boosters

Boolit Master

cell phone boosters

i get a poor signal on my cell phone in my basement. spend most of the day down there. computer and loading bench in the den; workshop in another area. in the den is the worst signal. i will get a signal on the phone that i have voice mail and my phone never rang before that. anyway, does anyone have experience with a cell phone booster? do they work and any recomendations to make and model. the prices are from a few hundred to alot more!! hate to spend more than necessary.

Boolit Master

You will need a Cell Phone Booster that works with your specific phone (3G; 4G; 5G) and carrier (AT&T, Verion, etc..) We previously used an AT&T Microcell similar to the one at this address, and had great service (No service at the house without it).:

You will need to have an internet connection to plug the microcell/cell repeater into.

We no longer use the MicroCel (It's in a box in a closet somewhere). We now use WIFI as a link to our cell phones. Our iPhones support WIFI extension of cellular service (All the kids phones are programmed the same way at the house so they get Cell Service when they visit. No Cellular service at our houses in Kalispell or Moapa unless one uses the WIFI connection). If your phone support WIFI connection for Voice In/Out calls; that is the way that I would recommend you go.
    Last edited by Pressman; 08-18-2018 at 09:18 PM. Reason: eBay links are not allowed
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

We had the same issues with Verizon, they guaranteed service but , nope. A 2 block radius was dead. THey gave us a booster and it made all the difference. THey have since added towers .

Like Mustang said, it has to be correct for the service provider and phone, but they do work

Boolit Master

we use a wilson repeater, it has an antenna that goes on the roof and a receiver that mounts to your ceiling. if you need a repeater, spend the money and get a quality one. we had a cheep off brand one that lasted about 6 months, we have had the wilson for 4 or 5 years now.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy

We had issues with our sprint service at our home. We called them and complained and they sent us an airave box that hooks to our internet. Solved the problem 100%. The box we have is free as long as we keep it hooked up and use it.

You may want to call your cell provider and ask if they can supply you with one. Just tell them you have horrible service in your home and threaten to switch to another provider if they dont provide you with one.

You can buy a repeater like another poster mentioned but I would try calling your provider first. It could save you a lot of $

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    We no longer use the MicroCel (It's in a box in a closet somewhere). We now use WIFI as a link to our cell phones. Our iPhones support WIFI extension of cellular service (All the kids phones are programmed the same way at the house so they get Cell Service when they visit. No Cellular service at our houses in Kalispell or Moapa unless one uses the WIFI connection). If your phone support WIFI connection for Voice In/Out calls; that is the way that I would recommend you go.
    Most phones have this option now, it's in the settings. Call tech support and ask.

Boolit Master

Had sprint and the airave they have issues have had 2 versions and they told me a few years ago they were going to discontinue the airave and use wireless settings only , now some of the prepaid such as boost which is sprint owned and connected do not support that and no airave for them though a airave will connect boost phones and the better ones do cost , I live in a basement and little to no service in a concrete underground room , but I get enough for text and if I go to outer wall I get enough service .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    we use a wilson repeater, it has an antenna that goes on the roof and a receiver that mounts to your ceiling. if you need a repeater, spend the money and get a quality one. we had a cheep off brand one that lasted about 6 months, we have had the wilson for 4 or 5 years now.
    +1

Made by the same company that produces high quality CB Antenna's, these work great.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

I get great reception in my loading room with my land line! I have a message on my cell phone its "I don't carry this phone. Leave a message if you want but I wont reply. If you really want to talk to me im probably at home or will be soon"

Boolit Master

glad your rich enough to have a landline (we have come full circle now with cell phones) they want several thousand dollars to run a line to the house, so we have been using cell phones for a good while now. if they ever get decent internet service we might think about it but right now dial up is all they offer.

back to topic, the **** booster we used was a Zboost, will never recommend them to anybody.

Boolit Master

This is the least expensive and most effective solution.
    A directional antenae on the roof pointed at the cell phone tower and a booster with the correct wireless phone antennae that covers the house.
    I carry a Wilson booster in my pickup - no dropped calls, and much improved sound and signal.
    The wilson unit is e repeater that works very well, no matter what service provider you use.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Like mentioned before Wilson Electronics is the way to go. We had a low line model from zBoost (now owned by Wilson) and it simply didn't work as well. We sent it back and had to pay some more for their weboost product, but it was well worth it. I would suggest a phone call to Wilson, they can help with suggested model to work for you. Also, they sometimes have refurbished models at a substantial cost savings, but you have to ask.

https://www.weboost.com/products/connect-4g

^^^ This is the model we purchased, it has the directional antenna. Set up isn't bad as you can download a cell phone tower locator and use it to put the antenna in the appropriate direction. One word of caution, the outside antenna needs some distance from metal, so if you have a metal roof or siding, you may have to be creative when you mount it. I used a section of PVC pipe to get away from the metal roof. From there you simply run the cable in the house and centrally locate the inside antenna, if you have to run a long distance they will provide you with a cable upgrade.

Once installed our signal went from high 3G or low 4G (at best) to 4G with 4 bars. We no longer dropped calls in the middle of our home and we were able to take advantage of using our cell phones as hot spots for internet. We canceled our Frontier Phone and Internet, so no land line or internet (Frontier service is Terrible). The cost savings paid for the Wilson Booster in less than 6 months.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Banned

if you have dial up internet you must already have a cable ran to your home. My land line for phone is 50 dollars a month. Prepaid for the cell phone I use about once a month cost about 10 bucks a month on average. that's 60 dollars a month for phone. What does it cost to buy one of those fancy smart phones and pay for your monthly bill? Id say its the guy who pays a 100-200 bucks a month for cell phone service and 300bucks for a phone that should be glad hes rich enough to afford it. Local phone companys used to put a new service in for free. that's stopped a while back and they started charging. Now that everyone is going to cell phones there right back to free install to get new customers. Even many cable companys offer free land line service to there tv packages.
    glad your rich enough to have a landline (we have come full circle now with cell phones) they want several thousand dollars to run a line to the house, so we have been using cell phones for a good while now. if they ever get decent internet service we might think about it but right now dial up is all they offer.

back to topic, the **** booster we used was a Zboost, will never recommend them to anybody.

Boolit Master

lloyd is was joking with you. the dial up is all that is available thru the local phone company and I am not paying for that ****. 2 mobile phones cost us 90 bucks a month with unlimited data and we can take them anywhere we go. we had problems with cell signal but the booster solved that.

Boolit Master
    Out house has cinder block walls and a metal roof, so you can guess what or reception was like! We have Verizon service and use the weboost and it works like a charm. Is basically a repeater.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Out house has cinder block walls and a metal roof, so you can guess what or reception was like! We have Verizon service and use the weboost and it works like a charm. Is basically a repeater.
    Why do you need phone service in your out house?
    R.D.M.

Banned

what if you run out of toilet paper. Heck you could text someone or post it on facebook and hope someone on there is really your friend
    Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post

Boolit Master
    At least that blame auto correct is good for chuckles once in a while,

Of course it should have said, our house!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    You need a phone in the Out House for the same reason you need an Out House Gun and a Shower Gun of course.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    If your phone has Bluetooth you can leave it on an upper level where it gets reception and connect it to something like this that will work through the house. There are others makes, models and manufacturers. I have been using an older Siemens model for many years now, not as many features as this but I can talk on it .

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-.../dp/B00ISKW2UU
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker