MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hatch peppers are here

Boolit Master
    For those folks who never tried them, here's how to roast: Get the grill hot, burners on high. Lay the Hatch Chilies on the grate, close the lid. Let them go a few minutes, you'll hear them cooking. Open lid , and turn them over. The skin should be turned black. When all blackened, put them in a bowl, and cover. Let them steam in their heat for at least a half hour. Now comes the work. Cut off the stem end, slice open, clean out the seeds. Store in a container for use in the fridge, or put in freezer bag for future.
    I suggest trying mild first, as the flavor is fantastic. They are available in different heat ranges. Some will burn you good. I use them with eggs in the morning. Great on cheeseburgers. Pork stew with tomatillos. Lots of recipes on the web.

When I roast them, I use a charcoal grill and mesquite chips. Otherwise, everything as Marlin just said. Great stuff there.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    I have also used a propane weed burner to roast them quickly on a grill grate. I'm making a Safeway run soon to get more!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    My wife picked up some more hatch peppers from HEB along with three Prime New York strip steaks from the meat counter. Total bill was right at $20 since the steak was $9.99 a lb. We roasted them on the grill at the same time as the steak and ate them together with some instant pot homemade Mac and cheese with broccoli. We roasted about 8 of them because she wanted leftovers but there wasn’t any.
    For a really great steak topping take about 4 or five of the roasted chilies and add about 2 gloves of crushed garlic and mix. Fantastic. We all know garlic is one of the main food groups.

Boolit Master
    I woke up my thread from 2018. Yes, the hatch chilies are here in 2021, and they’re still .99 cents a lb. I’m busy roasting, peeling, bagging, and freezing. And eating. Get them while you can. The season isn’t long.

Boolit Master

There was a booth set up in front of the local Walmart selling hatch peppers yesterday.

Boolit Buddy
    Having grown up in Abq and spending much time camping in the areas around TorC, there really isn’t much I miss other than green chili season. I loved smelling the roasters in the grocery store parking lot cooking chiles up. Take care everyone!

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I found some at our local Kroger yesterday. But at $4 a pound makes them a bit pricey. But I got 3 bags so 3#. Fired up my grill with natural lump
    and got to roasting. I put them in a pyrex dish that had a cover and that 3# really shrank down. After dinner I skinned those pods and rough chopped and ended up
    with just a bit less than a quart jar full.

BTW our local Walmart carries the 505 brand of roasted green chilies and will do in a pinch & they are good but not as good as fresh roasted ones.

I've never liked the 505 brand. The Bueno Foods chile in a jar products are a lot better.

Probably going to head out today and get our fresh roasted. I may roast mine myself but that's a ton of work. Usually, I use the charcoal grill and throw in some mesquite chips. The resulting flavor blend is truly amazing!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    Having grown up in Abq and spending much time camping in the areas around TorC, there really isn’t much I miss other than green chili season. I loved smelling the roasters in the grocery store parking lot cooking chiles up. Take care everyone!
    I hear you. I lived in Deming for a few years and when they were roasting chilies in the grocery store parking lot, you could smell it all over the town. People would line up to get them.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

We got some fresh Hatch at local HEB last weekend.
    Had some friends over and smoked a pork butt, chickens, tortillas, and chilles.
    The chilles (hatch) made it! Pellet smoker on 375, roasted, turned, and peeled.
    Great stuff!

Boolit Grand Master
    a bowl of pork green chili-----MMMMMM good eating. Like mine with a good kick. Fruit stands around here have the Hatch chili's in and have their roasters going. Smells wonderful driving by.

Boolit Master

Wow, thanks for the heads-up! I've been pre-occupied but you can bet that I will be making an HEB run pronto.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy
    Hatch is in my adopted home county, and I'm glad to see everyone else likes chile as much as we do! If I hadn't moved here, I wouldn't even know how great they were.

Boolit Buddy
    i too love the hatch chilis...while reading this thread my almost bald head broke out in a sweat,then im giggeling as i type !

Boolit Bub
    I bought a couple of pounds the other day at Wegman's. This was the last batch for sale and I had to pick through some mushy ones. They make a great salsa.

Boolit Buddy
    I get them often from the Hatch Store and pre-order them to be shipped. Get them in 2 days by air. Last batch I was a bit disappointed in them because there were too many small chilis with not much "meat" on them. Really hard to peel. Regardless I'll still order them as they are the BEST out there. Nice people to deal with too. I had to keep delaying my order due to traveling and they worked with me every time. Definitely will pre-order in 2022 again.

They're not quite as spicy this year. We had a lot of rain leading up to the harvest and that always dampens everything down a notch or two.

Still great taste, though!

--Wag--

Boolit Master
    Just what makes a Hatch pepper so special?

We have a local family owned sausage factory that makes the HEB brand Hatch sausage (yep in West Tennessee) once a year. I like it, and keep several pounds in the freezer. You can't buy it in any stores here, but my son is a maintenance man at the factory, and buys a box when they fill their orders. Taste like green chili sausage to me??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12