Load DataPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Gathering The Sheep

Boolit Man

Gathering The Sheep

Have been trying to actually get all my reloading manuals to my reloading room. What a novel idea. They seem to be scattered over a half dozen book shelves and all over the house. It's the oldest ones and newest that seem to be located next to recliner and nightstand. When compare pre WW2 to current seems there is better information in the older manuals when trying to squeeze that last possible bit of accuracy out of your rifles and loads. As get them all together will post better pictures and especially those of the more interesting books.

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 2 Timothy 4:3

Boolit Man
    Phillip B. Sharpe's 1937 first edition. This is one of my favorite reloading manuals as teaches the reader more nuances to leverage than these modern things with nothing but numbers. It teaches you to work up a load based on burn rates and common sense without some list done by a bullet or powder manufacturer.

The 1949 Second Edition and still looking for third and where stashed his other books. Have a 2nd Edition jacket cover on both as never seen a cover on the 1st edition. Took it off for above picture, have his first three editions all signed as well as his books in rifles, rifle smiting and accurate shooting. He was "the go to man" during WW2 and immediately afterwards. I like understanding how the art of accuracy progressed through real books, not Kindle copies.

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 2 Timothy 4:3

Quote Originally Posted by Hueyville View Post
    Phillip B. Sharpe's 1937 first edition. This is one of my favorite reloading manuals as teaches the reader more nuances to leverage than these modern things with nothing but numbers. It teaches you to work up a load based on burn rates and common sense without some list done by a bullet or powder manufacturer.
    Sounds like an interesting book. Now, I'll have to keep my eyes open for one. Of course, I've found a reprint at Cornell Publications for $30.

Banned
    Keep looking for the 1941 edition also, final 1953 is also great and has some interesting commentary on Hollywood.

Boolit Master
    Sharpe's manual is my favorite bedside reader, giving me dreams of walking into an old gun shop, and buying kegs of Lightning,Sharpshooter,DuPont SR 80, and HiVel #2. The info on the old reloading tools is very interesting, and the chapter on powders and their manufacture is fascinating as well. Truly a must have book!

Boolit Master
    I have the 1953 edition of Sharpe's book.Interesting comments about dealing with old powders.I don't believe I will try it.

Boolit Bub
    Great idea!

I keep all my loading manuals and purchase older manuals I don't have. Keep them in one grouping with the 'new stuff' at the top and the older section all together in the lower shelves. As you say, much good information for those who read and have a thirst for why things work as they do.

Found a copy of Phil Sharps book you mention, I think from 1949 or so. I got it and "Sixguns by Keith" at a local garage sale. $5.00 for each. Nearly hurt myself getting money out of my pocket.
    Go peacefully; teach the ignorant, comfort the distressed. Always be kind. Wear clean underwear and carry a gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe you guys can help me out. I have two "Complete Guides TO Handloading":

One is; Copyright 1937, 1941, 1949 and 1952 "Third Edition, Completely Revised and Enlarged, With Entirely New Supplement".

The other is, Copyright 1937, 1941, 1949, 1952 and 1953 "Third Edition, Second Revision, Supplement, Latest Development in Tools and Techniques, Revised and Enlarged.

Can you tell me where they "fit" in the hierarchy?

Thanks

Banned

I have all three of Phil Sharpe's handloading manuals. Also a signed 1st edition of the Rifle in America.