RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Joined a new gun club today...

Boolit Master

Joined a new gun club today...

Hi...
    I have been a member of my current gun club for over 40 years.
    I have joined one other club about 25 years ago for a couple of years but didn't like the way it was runso I dropped out.
    About 18-20 years ago, I was invited to join a different local gun club but I wasn't all that impressed with the facilities so I declined.

A couple of days ago my son and I were in ited to visit that same club by the membership secretary to see their facility and consider joining.

My current club is fairly nice but has a lot of rules governing what can be used as targets.
    Essentially, it is paper bull's-eyes and very little else except the 200yd steel plate that keeps disappearing for extended periods of time.
    Nobody seems to know where it goes and the club officers don't seem inclined to investigate.
    I have a theory that the older members dislike most anything that doesn't include hi power matches and bullseye target shooting with rifles and are trying to make things difficult for anybody who wants to do anything differently.
    It took 20 years to have a three station handgun range put in and there isconstantgrumbling about it and anybody who shoots a semiauto rifle.
    Anyway...my son and I wanted to shoot reactive targets, steel plates, spinners,etc and we couldn't the older club leadership clique.

So we have been looking for a club that would allow it.
    We checked this place out and things have really changed as far as the facilities from my last visit 18-20 years ago.

The rifle range has at least a dozen stations with ranges from 25-200 yds with steel plates available.
    The handgun range is separated by a serious block wall and has another 10-12 stations with targets at just about any distance from 25 ft to 50 yards. There are any number of posts with interchangeable steel plates of various sizes.
    The membership secretary said the rules allow shooting any steel plate or reactive targets that a member wants including cans, bottles and even appliances as long as all of it is cleaned up after shooting.

Standard lights and buzzers and rules otherwise.

We were invited to join immediately...initiation fee and first year dues is $125 and $50 a year thereafter.
    We both joined.
    We are going to keep our membership at our other club so we can shoot claybirds as this new club doesn't have a dedicated shotgunning range although there is one planned when the funds allow.

Boolit Bub
    Growing up on a ranch I was oblivious to ranges and rules. Now that I live in town and shoot at a club, it’s a pain in the a$$. The cliques really get in the way, a good range is hard to find.

In Remembrance

I used to use a clubs ranges when I was a member/officer. Then it started going South with the `Ya-Hoo`s` making a mess for everybody else to clean up. About 35 years back I bought a long 11 1/4 acres with an old gravel pit on the back end. I`ve made bench stations at 25, 100, 200 yds and an area for skeet shooting as well as handgun shooting. I have metal `clanger` targets made from siralloy wear resistant 3/8" steel plate at different ranges. I am picky about who I allow to use my range facilities since I really don`t need the local PD paying me a visit over someone`s stupidity.Robert