Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: I was given....

Boolit Master

I was given....

an old jar with a bunch of OLD ammo in it. Started looking at it and found a couple of interesting cartridges. 2 1918 .30-06 rounds. Also some .45 GOV. (.45-70 IIRC). The .45 Gov. is a bit dirty so I can't tell yet if it is dated or not, but I'd like to think that it might be left over from Custer's command! *LOL* The rest of the stuff is ancient reloads. I'll probably pull those and scrap the stuff. I'm sure I don't want to try shooting it!

Boolit Master
    Very cool... is there anything "unique" or interesting about the 30-06 rounds?? Are the bullets cupro-nickel, or the cases pinched like they're "guard ammo"???

Boolit Master
    I was under the Impression that Custer's men used the .50-70 Trapdoors with the balky soft copper cases that often failed to eject when the gun got hot.
    IIRC his men had been using Spencer repeaters before that but the Army in its infinite wisdom chose to saddle them with a single shot.

Boolit Master

Haven't had time to really clean those rounds yet, but the 06 looks like the usual steel jacketed stuff. Not sure what Custer's boys used, but it is marked .45 Gov. That's all I really know at this point.