Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Thinking of buying a Smith & Wesson M & P target.

Boolit Master

Thinking of buying a Smith & Wesson M & P target.

I recently round an old Smith & Wesson M & P Target revolver, it's in .38 Special of course, has been reblued but not a bad job, everything else is original and it's $400. Have had M & P revolvers, but never a target version. Anyone else have one? Really like the thought of one.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master
    Is this the older, pre- K-38 style revolver? Thin tapered barrel with tall target sights? I have both, and the early ones do shoot very well, but the balance is pretty light on the muzzle end due to the thin barrel. $400 sounds reasonable in todays market.

I have a really nice M&P Target 38sp. I had it on forum for $800. The only reason to get rid of it
    was 3 K38s I have and shoot. It is a accurate revolver, probably shoots as well as K38s. I still have
    it at present but have already made a deal to trade it for a Colt 1911 the 1st of the month.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Not sure about M&P Target, this is one of mine, made in 1941

Attachment 225642
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have had several of them over the years. I'll always have at least one of them. For pure serious target shooting I prefer the older K38 with the ribbed barrel. They are just more accurate in my hands. The Model 1905 M&P target I have now is a bit lighter. I find myself shooting it more and more these days. There is just something about the aesthetics that means more than pure accuracy to me (eyes not what they used to be so accuracy is less of a priority). For a good shooting version, $400 doesn't seem too bad. Just check the barrel condition very closely. Older the gun gets, the more damage you can expect. Check the forcing cone for cracks, bore for dings/bulges resulting from hammering or shooting out squibs, crown for damage from cleaning rods, etc.. Have a good bore light in hand when you go to look it over.