Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 0mm Luger OAL ?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

0mm Luger OAL ?

OK, before somebody causes grief on me THE TITLE IS SUPPOSED TO BE 9MM NOT 0MM. I reread my post several times to make sure it was as correct I as I could make it but never looked at the title until it was too late. Naturally, one cannot edit the title.

I use a 126 TCBB grain bullet from SAECO molds that is very similar to the LEE #90239 in profile. I have shot 1000s of these over the years using 700X. For reasons not germane to this issue I want to try Blue Dot.

My 700X load ended up with an OAL of 1.070" so the case could crimp into, more or less, the middle of the upper driving band, in other words the full diameter of the bullet between the start of the ogive and the lube groove. It seems the accepted OAL with just about any bullet is 1.120"-1.150" depending on profile.

Never felt there was any problem. However, today I loaded some with BD starting at 6.4 and going to 7.0 in .2 grain increments. Alliant says one can go to 8 grains but I would like to know how because even with my loads the case is VERY full, so full as to be a compressed load if I seat the bullet as I have described above. Given the compressed load aspect, I'm concerned that I am creating a situation similar to having the bullet shift back into the case and having an excessive pressure issue.

If I seat the bullet out far enough to be at the recommended OAL I would be crimping in the lube groove.

So, am I just being paranoid or will I be OK. Just going out and test firing is probably an option but I really DON'T want to be replacing a blown up gun. I need the slower burn rate of the BD for this application so I suppose I could get a different mold but I sure don't want to if I don't have to.

I have been loading 9mm for several different brands of guns using this bullet for over 30 years and thought I had a pretty good handle on this reloading thing but I seems I am able to find a way to complicate my life no matter what. Oh well.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    I'd load 0mm to right around 0.0. LOL... sorry couldn't resist.

I've never used that bullet but I have used the Lee 125 grain round nose flat point intended for .38 Special in 9mm. When seating this bullet the case mouth ends right in the crimp groove and it hasn't ever caused a problem for me. I use a taper crimp to make sure the belling is gone. The sizing die in 9mm usually squeezes the case down quite a bit so you should have pretty good neck tension irregardless.

If you seat way out, the drive band may well hit the rifling before the round is fully in battery. Go with the OAL that works for you.
    As far as the powder charge, reported results vary quite a bit. Some said that more than 6.5 grains was too much. Other said they went as high as 8.0 but the results were not what they wanted.
    One loader even said the higher loads caused problems with his pistol. Many said it was very dirty.
    They all said that compressing Blue Dot powder was not a problem. If you check the pressure listing for the max load, the pressure never reaches max rating for the cartridge.
    All in all, no one was recommending Blue Dot for use in a 9mm. Basically, the people who were loading it were going for a really loud bang and flash.
    I would definitely start low and work up slowly and try to use a chrono to track progress.

Boolit Master

I would not worry about BD in the 9MM. At 8 grs (pretty much a full case) It's just running 30KPSI. I don't believe it's possible to overload a 124gr cast in the 9MM with Blue Dot, not enough room.
    PS..I have loaded the Lee120TC@ 1.060 with 8 grs. of BD with no problems or pressure indications
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned
    Are you looking at cast or jacketed data?

Why Blue Dot? It's usually best in magnum or shotshell loading