PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Remington 700V .308

Remington 700V .308

Any yall shooting cast in a 700V?

Boolit Master
    Mine is an older one but has the laminated stock, 1-12 twist and is great with cast, it's the rifle I use for testing cast in the .308, for boolits that I sell. Not my most accurate .30 but right behind my .30 BR., the 700 has a stock trigger and the .30 br. has a jewell 2 oz. trigger, that's prolly the dif. If the newer 700s are as good as mine, I'd jump on it. With the heavy Rem. barrel, 1" groups or smaller are normal if you use precise reloading techniques.

Boolit Master

Yes,
    Lyman 311466 and 24 grains of 4227 positioned by the BULLET
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Well ..... I was until my pal needed a rifle to shoot woodchucks with . I loaned it to him and after using it a while he wanted to buy it , what are friends for huh?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

About 11 years ago, I bought a Remington VS (Left Hand) for use as a cast bullet test rifles. Of course it was chambered for the 308 Win. round. I did quite a bit of shooting with it and it occupies an honored place in my gun accumulation.

I was first introduced to the Remington 700V in the mid-80s by the cast bullet shooting folks at Anthony New Mexico shooting range and clue. It was the rifle of choice for shooting cast bullet silhouette matches. Various steel critters were shot out at ranges out to 200 yards. Off hand was the only shooting position allowed in these matches.

Here is a list of what I learned about it and with it;

1. The rifle is a .75 -1.00 MOA 10 shot group rifle, with loads it likes, both jacketed and cast. Sure I have shot some smaller 3 shot and 5 shot groups, but I measure accuracy by reliable, on demand 10 shot groups. There are no lucky 10 shot groups.

2. To get smaller groups one would have to put on a high end barrel. Remington barrels are not the best in the world.

3. The short case neck is a little problematic with cast bullets, but RCBS 165 SIL seems to have been made just for the short neck and shoots very very good in the rifle.

4. The rifles is too heavy to go traipsing around the woods with, but on a deer stand it is a deer killing Jessie.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 08-18-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I, too, have a Rem 700 VS LH in .308W, probably very similar, if not identical, as Char-Gar. Twist is 1:12.

Jacketed bullets are a given for such consistently small groups that it gets boring (pun intended).

My experience with the RCBS 308-165-SIL is also the same. I'm getting ready to try some PC'd (Smoke's Bacon Grease).

Another good'un is the RCBS 30-180-SP (which works good in just about 'everthang').

Until that factory barrel wears out, I see no reason to spend $s replacing it.

I have yet to shoot a critter with with it, but would not hesitate.

I'm very happy to have it in the stable.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

I have a 12 twist V in 308. Don't shoot it much. It'll produce record pace CB,10 shot groups with tuned loads,and just about any decent "driver". Got a few 700V's. About the only one I really like to shoot is a mid 80's 6mm,it has the walnut stock and a minty period, 6-18 Redfield. It's a tackdriver too.