Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10

Functionally, it's not difficult to use.

You can turn off most, but not all, of the snooping stuff that MS put in there.

Linux is pretty straightforward these days. If you can, install it on an old computer and see if you like it and then decide.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to give Linux a try you can run it off of a dvd or usb without actually installing the operating system.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLee View Post
    Updates are a pain but more in the office environment than at home. I believe that it is a vast improvement over 7, not to mention the 8 and Millennium disasters. Apple is a personal choice, I don't like it because they have decided what you can and can't do. Linux tends to be better for techies or at least people with some computer knowledge.

Most of all, we are fast approaching the end of support for WIN7 at which point the security upgrades taper off and cease. Make no mistake, the crooks are attacking the legacy operating systems. Those of you that aren't up on maintaining your own security will be at an increased risk. WIN 10 may be designed to snoop but that can easily be turned down, Microsoft isn't going to drain your bank account and what do most of us have to hide? For those of you without commercial anti-virus, Windows defender is free and pretty effective. Do a search and download directly from a Microsoft site. Be careful of the other sites that pay to be first in line on your search answers. Respectfully, Wayne - corporate VP of Information Services
    You have the credentials of a VP. I have the experience of a small time Computer repair person since Windows 3.1. I have set up many "first computers" for folks and have done a lot of work for people who do not have high level computer skills. Most average people are not aware of the fact that "all those" convenient sounding apps on Windows 10 are actually tools for Microsoft (and whoever thy chose to share/give/sell it) to gather your personal information AND personal habits. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of Win 10 users never turn off the info gathering settings. And as some here have stated, every time it updates it reverts the settings back to default which is full on Microsoft gets your data. As far as it being a better operating system, it is designed to work more like Android for the touch screen convenience. That I will grant you. If you have a touch screen and want an operating system for it (and don't want the very efficient Android) Windows 10 is for you. For the rest of us keyboard users... it is my opinion that you would be better off with Win 7 (until the end of support) I will continue to use Win 7 well after they stop supporting it. Then...linux. No Win 10...ever. I guess you could say that I am a "never 10er".

Boolit Grand Master

I love Windows 10. I do have a very fast cable connection so updates are not an issue. It did take a little getting used too but it has been the most trouble free system I have used. I started with an Apple Macintosh in the 1987. I would have probably stayed with Apple but work used Microsoft products so I switched to MS around 1994.

Vendor Sponsor

Anyone that can run win10 can run Linux Mint. It is SUPER EASY to move from windows to Linux Mint. Download the free Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon iso, use a free program called Etcher and burn the iso to a usb stick which will then be bootable, you can boot into linux and run it without installing, it will not make ANY changes to your computer, -unless- you decide to install it by clicking on the desktop icon that says "install linux mint"
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-09-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I am a computer Neanderthal. but I have no problems going from windows 7 to 10.

Boolit Buddy
    I switched to 10 on both home computers and still have 7 at work. 10 is really hard to beat. It has a ton more features that probably most do not use. I find it easy to use, stable and I don't have virus problems.

Boolit Buddy
    I've played with 10 in VM at work - even without all the snoopers I couldn't find a single thing to like. I went OS X about 8 years ago and couple years ago my wife's laptop finally died and it was the last nail to microsoft products in my house

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    You have the credentials of a VP. I have the experience of a small time Computer repair person since Windows 3.1. I have set up many "first computers" for folks and have done a lot of work for people who do not have high level computer skills. Most average people are not aware of the fact that "all those" convenient sounding apps on Windows 10 are actually tools for Microsoft (and whoever thy chose to share/give/sell it) to gather your personal information AND personal habits. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of Win 10 users never turn off the info gathering settings. And as some here have stated, every time it updates it reverts the settings back to default which is full on Microsoft gets your data. As far as it being a better operating system, it is designed to work more like Android for the touch screen convenience. That I will grant you. If you have a touch screen and want an operating system for it (and don't want the very efficient Android) Windows 10 is for you. For the rest of us keyboard users... it is my opinion that you would be better off with Win 7 (until the end of support) I will continue to use Win 7 well after they stop supporting it. Then...linux. No Win 10...ever. I guess you could say that I am a "never 10er".
    So, to a computer neanderthal, what and how are the gathering tools shut off?
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by coloraydo View Post
    So, to a computer neanderthal, what and how are the gathering tools shut off?
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/2971...-by-piece.html
    I realize that there are a lot of steps to follow there. So this place offers programs that will make it easy. I HAVE NOT TESTED ANY OF THESE. Use them at you own risk.
    The way I shut off Windows 10 snooping was to format my hard drive and put Windows 7 on it.
    Good luck:
    https://www.geckoandfly.com/25083/fr...-tracking-you/
    Last edited by Traffer; 08-18-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks, Traffer. I'll look into it.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLee View Post
    Updates are a pain but more in the office environment than at home. I believe that it is a vast improvement over 7, not to mention the 8 and Millennium disasters. Apple is a personal choice, I don't like it because they have decided what you can and can't do. Linux tends to be better for techies or at least people with some computer knowledge.

Most of all, we are fast approaching the end of support for WIN7 at which point the security upgrades taper off and cease. Make no mistake, the crooks are attacking the legacy operating systems. Those of you that aren't up on maintaining your own security will be at an increased risk. WIN 10 may be designed to snoop but that can easily be turned down, Microsoft isn't going to drain your bank account and what do most of us have to hide? For those of you without commercial anti-virus, Windows defender is free and pretty effective. Do a search and download directly from a Microsoft site. Be careful of the other sites that pay to be first in line on your search answers. Respectfully, Wayne - corporate VP of Information Services

The argument that Linux is for techies just doesn't wash. I don't see why it's any harder for a Windows user to learn how Linux works. I mean, the user had to learn how to use Windows, right?

As far as the snooping that goes on with Windows 10, having nothing to hide is a very, very, moot point. The fact is, it's none of Microsoft's darn business where I go, what I look at, which bank I deal with.

And given Microsoft's reputation, and the fact that they do engage in mass surveillance, I wouldn't trust any one of them with my info. The argument that anyone "with nothing to hide", has nothing to worry about is a really slippery slope.

It's one of the ways they've shoved mass surveillance on the entire world.....what're you worried about.....got something to hide?

Boolit Buddy
    What's harder to learn to use, a Linux operating system that looks like Windows 7, or Windows 8/10 that got away from the traditional menu?

I forgot that you can load Linux onto a bootable USB stick. Do that and test it on your current computer and see what you think. Mint. Ubuntu. etc. There are a lot of flavors of Linux out there and many of them are quite good.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

My background is similar to Traffer's. Twenty five years of supporting computers, the last 20 in a Fortune 100 corporate environment and thankfully now retired. I just got a new laptop that has 10 on it. We had started moving to 10 when I retired last year. From a modification perspective it has some challenges that previous operating systems didn't have. First, you have to learn where to find the controls that were familiar in previous operating systems.

Some things just work differently in 10. After setting up the computer I decided I didn't like my data folder structure so I fixed it which involved changing the location of the Outlook e-mail file. In previous operating systems I have done that many times without any problem. In 10 it broke the data file and I spent probably 10 hours trying to fix it. I was never able to fully fix it and instead ended up creating a new data file and importing all of the previous e-mail into it. What a pain!

Windows 10 works well once you learn to live with it.

Learning Linux would be about the same level of difficulty to a nontechnical person as adjusting to 10 but in the end I think you would have a better system that has a lot of support. Free support.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Windows 10 works well once you learn to live with it.

Learning Linux would be about the same level of difficulty to a nontechnical person as adjusting to 10 but in the end I think you would have a better system that has a lot of support. Free support.

Linux has come a long, long way since I first started using it and is now at the point where, yes, learning Linux would probably be on par to adapting to Windows 10. I say this based on what I've been told and read about 10, I've never used it myself and never will.

In this day and age there's just no good reason to not try Linux. The majority of Linux distributions run very well on older equipment, so no need to buy new puters. My laptop is around 10 years old and runs better than Windows 10 or any other Windows version.....and, no crashes, it just keeps running.

And, it's free and support is free.....last time I looked, Windows wasn't free, matter of fact it was kinda pricey. Actually, the cost of Windows and having to constantly reinstall when it dosed up is what turned me to Linux.

In my experience, dosing up is one of the few things that Windows does well, that and snooping. Actually, I see the snooping as not much different to identity theft.....and you get to pay them to steal your info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12