Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Boolit Master

Windows 10

Time for a new computer, but I am procrastinating.

For you folks running Windows 10, how was the adjustment for you from 7?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

I really love windows 10... I did the free upgrade from 7 to 10 on several personal systems and have not looked back. May share more personal data unless you turn some things off. But, it is 2018... is there anything they do not know?

Boolit Master
    I almost bought a Dell laptop from Best Buy, But have had so much trouble w/ Windows I bought a ChromeBook instead. I'm still learning it, probably never will learn all the stuff it can do.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Agreed. Use Windows 10. Turn off some of the defaults to slow down the snoopers and it's good to go. I literally go weeks occasionally without needing to reboot. Stable as Linux almost.

Boolit Buddy
    I used Windows ten on my work laptop for maybe 8 months before I got away from doing office work. It wasn't that bad to use. I very much prefer Linux as I can choose what sort of user interface I want. Not all Windows programs are available for Linux, so that can be a problem for some people.
    Check out Linux Mint. You might like it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linux-Mint-Mate-5.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	225619

Boolit Bub
    I'm running 10, have had it sense it came out. haven't had many problems, worst thing is the updates, seem to be large files and ya have no control over them. I'm on a dish and it use up my data.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Brassduck View Post
    I'm running 10, have had it sense it came out. haven't had many problems, worst thing is the updates, seem to be large files and ya have no control over them. I'm on a dish and it use up my data.
    That's another thing I like about Linux. I have complete control over updates.

Banned
    only problem with Linux is many programs/apps still aren't compatible

Vendor Sponsor

Linux for guys doing web surfing and email its great ..

the free office compatible programs work well and are very easy to learn and will read and save windows office files

as grmps stated there are some windows programs that will not run in Linux but they becomes less and less
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    I really love windows 10... I did the free upgrade from 7 to 10 on several personal systems and have not looked back. May share more personal data unless you turn some things off. But, it is 2018... is there anything they do not know?
    I declined to upgrade to Windows 10 because of the "sharing of your personal data"...
    Windows 10 was designed as a spy program. All of the "cool stuff" centers on gathering the most personal of your information. Now, Microsoft has not been in the news lately for gathering user info BUT...wait till they get busted. In my opinion they are gathering BY FAR more personal information on the users than Google and Facebook combined. You can go through and turn off all of the settings that supposedly share you information BUT with Google and Facebook, it is a ruse, even if you turn off the settings to share, it is probably still gathering the info.
    Personally I think that Windows 7 is the "end development" for the Microsoft operating systems, meaning they will not get better than Win 7. There is ONE Caveat though...Windows 10 is also designed for touch screens. If you happen to have a laptop with a touch screen, you may want to keep your Windows 10. I have "retro graded" many systems from Windows 10 back to Windows 7 for folks.

Boolit Master

Windows 10 has made me love my Apple computers even more. I think what did it is when they snuck in the 10 upgrade on me. Instead of x'ing out of the screen asking if I wanted the upgrade it installed the upgrade behind the scenes. The next time I got on the computer there was 10. I am EXTREMLY anti-windows now!
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master

I have ONE computer still running Windows 10 and as far as I'm concerned it's the absolute WORST operating system EVER! Windows 7 is the last decent operating system to come from Microsoft and probably the last. I'm going to Linux just as fast as I can reconfigure my computers, get them stable and getting apps working as they should.

did the free upgade from 7 to 10.i don't like the fact window 10 is a data collecting device.i hold on my privacy for the principle of my privacy.

i'm about to bring all my window stuff at the range,i have a brand new SX3 12 gauge in need of a break in,then apple is gonna make its entry in my home.

Boolit Master
    Windows 10 drives more people to Apple. Like when it's trying to recover from an update, you aren't sure it's ever going to run again, then you finally get a window that says It can't recover your personal settings.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

No issues so far with me, but I have most of the snooper stuff turned off
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    When Windows 10 updates my machine, I have to turn off (again) the changes it makes to my privacy settings....charlie

Moderator Emeritus

It was easy and I love it.....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I loved #7 but hate #10.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Mold
    Updates are a pain but more in the office environment than at home. I believe that it is a vast improvement over 7, not to mention the 8 and Millennium disasters. Apple is a personal choice, I don't like it because they have decided what you can and can't do. Linux tends to be better for techies or at least people with some computer knowledge.

Most of all, we are fast approaching the end of support for WIN7 at which point the security upgrades taper off and cease. Make no mistake, the crooks are attacking the legacy operating systems. Those of you that aren't up on maintaining your own security will be at an increased risk. WIN 10 may be designed to snoop but that can easily be turned down, Microsoft isn't going to drain your bank account and what do most of us have to hide? For those of you without commercial anti-virus, Windows defender is free and pretty effective. Do a search and download directly from a Microsoft site. Be careful of the other sites that pay to be first in line on your search answers. Respectfully, Wayne - corporate VP of Information Services
    Larry Lee Mason

So many guns - so little time
    Broke but:
    Ballard #5 "Sporterized" in .40-85
    Ballard #4 1/4 (I hope) in .40-63 on it's way
    Ballard #2 in .32 CF
    Stevens 44 1/2 .32-40 Fecker 12X scope
    Stevens 44 .25-20 SS
    Etc, etc.

Boolit Master
    10 seems to work very well, but they did needlessly change some things that make the transition more of a PITA. "My computer" is gone, search is different, some changes in the drop down menus, and the desktop layout is different, but you can load a desktop very similar to 7. The biggest change I see is that you need to pretty much run everything out of "documents" using shortcuts. I used to keep job files on the desktop and save directly to them there, but with ten that seemed to slow things down quite a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast