Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filler in 45/70

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I had that same problem of not burning all powder and finding debris in the barrel, when using Vectan Tu 3000. I solved the problem by crimping tighter. Never used filler.

Boolit Buddy
    It reads like most do not use a filler, some maybe because it is just easier not too & they never had a problem. I fit that group. I brought this filler deal up again as I am looking for more accuracy from my cast boolit loads,& so far I get the best with light loads, probably the best with Red Dot, next beast with Unique, the answer of just fill the case up doesn't work for me. All the research Larry Gibson has done on fillers has me thinking I should at least try it. As I say, it is about getting the best accuracy I can with cast bullets. I get good accuracy with jacketed bullets at max.loads

Boolit Master

being the old man out I use fillers for my 45-70 in Red Dot mouse fart loads

I went to Home Depot and got some round 1/2" foam bscker rod (it's used to fill spaces when you install new doors or windows) and cut a 1/8" disk or so. after the powder, I push it in then seat the bullet. with this method hard to overcharge--but anything is possible for some folks.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-1-2-in-x-20-ft-Caulk-Backer-Rod-71480/202066515

gives no recoil and I like the delay time from firing till it hits the targets but then I also think broccoli is not for human comsumption.

using 292 gr bullets
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

Let me reiterate the OP's question; "Should I use a filler in my cast boolit loads for 45/70' when using Unique or Red Dot power? If you would recommend using a filler, what kind & how do you use it?"
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You know I’ve heard of people topping of a charge with cream of wheat. I’m not recommending it. Just letting you know what could be one of your options.

Boolit Buddy
    I went shopping today for Dacron fiber fill. None of the poly fill said Dacron,as close as I can find out Dacron is a trade name for polyester fiber. So guess that will work but I came back a read the posts & every one specifically says Dacron. Have not bought any yet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooper003 View Post
    All the research Larry Gibson has done on fillers has me thinking I should at least try it. As I say, it is about getting the best accuracy I can with cast bullets.
    I've done it with other powders and got fine results. Fillers used properly are as safe as anything else we shoot.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I placed this over in hunting forum & got a few answers but I guess I am too dumb to understand. So I will ask it as plain as I can. Should I use a filler in my cast boolit loads for 45/70' when using Unique or Red Dot power? If you would recommend using a filler, what kind & how do you use it?
    "Should" you use a filler? No. Can you? Yes. Although I see no need of it with Unique. Everything I've tried with it in 45-70 seems to do just fine,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

I went shopping today for Dacron fiber fill. None of the poly fill said Dacron,as close as I can find out Dacron is a trade name for polyester fiber. So guess that will work but I came back a read the posts & every one specifically says Dacron. Have not bought any yet.
    Yes "Dacron" is a trade name for Polyester fill. In sew shops/departments or fabric stores you can get it in bulk for "fill" or in sheets of various thickness as "batting". I prefer to use the batting sheets as I cut them into strips and cut into chunks of the size needed.

As I mentioned before though, a Dacron filler is beneficial in the 45-70 in many circumstances but I would not consider using a Dacron filler with the 2 fast burning powders you mention.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

While Dacron is not the only brand of polyester fibre, Dacron has the desired fineness. As long as it's as fine, it's good to go.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    Watched a guy shoot a trapdoor carbine with 11grs Unique powder. Dropped the loaded
    round in and fired. The powder moved down on the bullet in the case when tipped down
    for loading, upon firing blew the breech block out of the gun. With the 400 gr paper patched
    bullet being oversize and crimped, he had created a bore obstruction, the charge upon firing
    blew out the case and the breechblock. You gotta keep the powder on the primer.
    Hmmm. That is the exactly how chambers are rung on demand in tests reported in Charlie Dell's book. I can't say either way. I have not done the test so no data.
    Got any data?
    -CW
    Chill Wills

Banned
    me, from reading this thread at least, that not using a filler might, I repeat might, sacrifice some accuracy. OTOH, using a filler might, I repeat might, ring your chamber. No contest for me. No filler it is.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Hmmm. That is the exactly how chambers are rung on demand in tests reported in Charlie Dell's book. I can't say either way. I have not done the test so no data.
    Got any data?
    -CW
    The chamber on the trapdoor wasn't rung. The bullet was just starting into the rifling
    when the case either blew out or the primer blew out. I never seen the case, but did
    see the bullet. The barrel and chamber looked fine. In fact he replaced the breech
    block and has it shooting again. Still think it was a pressure spike when the powder
    went off laying on the rear of the bullet. Who knows the case might have been bad.
    I use the dacron or a bit of toilet paper over the powder and have never had an issue.
    The filler just blows out the barrel as confetti. It's stupid things like this that cannot
    be explained that will get you.

Vendor Sponsor

Webfoot10 writes:
    "The chamber on the trapdoor wasn't rung."

Regardless, if the pressure creates a chamber ring in 4140 steel or takes an old rifle apart, the point is the same.

If you are interested, Charlie Dell's book details testing and outlines the conditions. I don't know if it is the last word on powder position or fillers, however it is real data and not just waving one's arms around and talking.

-CW
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Ah, as usual, with the topic of using a filler properly....the sky is falling and we must tell the king..........

The PROPER use of a filler is not always necessary, needed or beneficial. With the specifics mentioned by the OP a proper filler is not necessary, needed and probably wouldn't be beneficial. However, in many other instances with other powder, cast bullet combinations a proper Dacron filler will be necessary and needed for consistent ignition and accuracy, the benefit of which will be much better accuracy.

Like most anything we do in reloading the improper use of a filler may result in mishap. So, like the things we've learned to do properly in reloading to avoid mishap using a filler properly can easily be done with the proper use of a filler. The proper use of a filler is not dangerous to gun or shooter.

Ever ponder what the function of the collapsible part of base of that plastic wad between the over powder part and the shot cup part is in a 12 ga shotgun shell? Pure and simple it is a filler. That collapsible part is there to fill the space between the over powder part and the shot because modern smokeless powders do not occupy the same volume that BP does for which the 12 ga shotgun shell was originally designed to use. Also consider there is a larger collapsible part (i.e. a filler) used in wads for smaller shot weights than larger shot weights. The smaller shot weight shells also use a smaller charge of faster burning powder and thus require a longer/larger "filler" section......same principle as with a Dacron filler (or other proper filler)in the 45-70 or any other cartridge. So how may 12 ga shot shells with such wads having "filler" sections are shot every year w/o mishap?

Is the sky really falling....or is that the emperor has no clothes.......
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 08-23-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I have been working with my Marlin 1895 off and on this summer. The rifle was bought new about 16-17 years ago. I worked up a load using the Lyman 457643 that was designed for lever action rifles. Ended up with 26 grs of AA5744 and a filler, shot pretty good and was about 1300-1350 fps. Things got in the way and I didn't fool much with it for a good many years, now the load that was fun isn't any longer. Can't see the sights so good either so it wears a scope now.

While trying to find a softer recoiling load I tried Unique, Trail Boss and a couple of other faster powders. I tried Unique with and without a filler, none of them shot very well and the filler made no difference. Also tried the Lee 340 but my rifle wanted nothing to do with it, will work with is some more.

AA55744 and 4198 left a lot of unburned powder at the level I am using and any thing slower would have been worse. I am now shooting 16 grs of 2400 with the 400 grn. boolit and a .6 grn. dacron filler. The load is a touch over 1000 fps and holds groups around 1 3/4" at 100 yds. and I am still fooling with it. Loads with 2400 didn't shoot very well without fillers.

Larry, the comparison to the shotgun shells makes perfect sense to me. These big black powder rounds were not designed for smokeless nor the high velocity rounds for lead so we have to adapt. It is not always as simple as throwing in a filler or more slow burning powder.

The 1895 is a nice rifle but looking back I would choose a different caliber, something that doesn't have the recoil. I seem to be enjoying my 30-30 even more these days. Just put an old Weaver V8 on an old 336A, looks kinda cool.

Dave

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Ah, as usual, with the topic of using a filler properly....the sky is falling and we must tell the king..........

Is the sky really falling....or is that the emperor has no clothes.......
    I doubt the topic will ever go away. This kind of non-information has a life all their own, maybe in the same way non-facts fill the political world at every level.. Another example is the same way you will hear, black powder is corrosive, despite the facts.

The best kind of information is data based on tests and can be cited.

For what it is worth, I use Dacron in many applications to good effect and floral foam for cases that are to be breach seated. I stopped using Dacron with Unique.

-CW
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

"The best kind of information is data based on tests and can be cited. "

That it is.......here is just such a "cited" example;

Targets shot at 100 yards using H&R Officer's Model with M1879 rear sight. Load was 35 gr IMR3031 under a 413 commercial cast bullet. 1st w/o a Dacron filler and the second with the Dacron filler.

Attachment 226007

Above target is w/o the Dacron filler. The 5 shots were loaded w/o any effort at "positioning the powder". Note the 10.5" vertical string from the 5th shot near the top to one shot which went 1/2" off the bottom of the paper. The average velocity was 941 fps with an ES of 314 fps. There was close to a 9,000 psi ES for the 5 shots from 12,900 psi to 20,200 psi.

I then shot an additional 4 shots elevating the muzzle to "position" the powder. They are grouped at 3 o'clock in the bull. The average velocity was 1203 fps with an ES of 71 fps. The pi averaged 18,400 with and ES of 3,600 fps.

Attachment 226008

The above target is with the same load except a 3/4 - 1 gr Dacron filler was used. The cartridges were chambered and shot with no attempt to "position" the powder as it was necessary. The average velocity was 1230 fps with an ES of 51 fps. The psi average was 19,100 with and ES of 1,200 psi.

The targets and data speak for themselves.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 08-23-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Ever ponder what the function of the collapsible part of base of that plastic wad between the over powder part and the shot cup part is in a 12 ga shotgun shell?
    The primary purpose is to position the top of the shot column so a correct crimp may be applied. If the top of the shot column is too high, a crimp cannot be applied, and if it is too low the crimp will collapse into the casing.

A secondary purpose is to cushion the shot column so the pellets are not deformed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    The primary purpose is to position the top of the shot column so a correct crimp may be applied. If the top of the shot column is too high, a crimp cannot be applied, and if it is too low the crimp will collapse into the casing.

A secondary purpose is to cushion the shot column so the pellets are not deformed.
    And it "fills" the space between powder and shot.........before the advent of the plastic one piece wad there would have been cards and fiber wads used as a filler between the powder and shot......
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 08-23-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast