Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Download 8X56R

Boolit Buddy

Download 8X56R

I've got some Nazi headstamp 8X56R Steyr ammo. I'll be shooting it in the M95 carbine. Can I safely download this by 10% to cut back on the recoil? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Brasso

Boolit Master

Brasso - I would say yes. I have 2 M95 carbines. Shortly after I got the 2nd one, I got my hands on a few rounds of the ammo you speak of. Was shocked by the muzzle blast and recoil - to my mind it was pretty brutal. Many here have them and reload for them.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy
    mac60,
    Yeah, they tend to kill at both ends. So I can pull the bullets, weigh the load and reduce by 10% and put the bullet back and I'm good to go?

Boolit Master

Personally, I don't see anything unsafe with that. Of course, that leaves the issue of resizing the neck to regain some neck tension.

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

Boolit Buddy
    I ran the brass through the resizing first, downloaded the powder charge and reseated the bullet. Now I have to get to the range and check it out. Thanks mac60.
    Brasso

Boolit Master

I'm interested in hearing how it worked out for you.

Boolit Master

Smile

I started casting and reloading for mine just so I could come up with a nice shooting load and have fun shooting mine more than with the surplus stuff.

NOE makes a great mould for it and I have found some good shooting loads that don't kill me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Franken bullet web.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	226057

The little Stutzen with the Nazi ammo is the opposite of fun unless you're a pain junkie. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I shoot a 1917 Manufacture M95 Calvary Carbine (not a converted rifle) with the NOE Bullet previously mentioned, and its a lot of fun.

HOWEVER, Surplus 8x56R can be punishing in these little guns! i bought a packet of 50 old 8x56R Surplus rounds about 3 years ago and still have 49.

really makes me wonder if the Ammo was loaded with the full length rifle in mind and not the shorter Stutzens and Carbines.

I've downloaded hot surplus in the past without issue. usually a 10% reduction does it. had a bunch of Turk 8mm Mauser that was really hot that i downloaded. Although i DO NOT think its a good idea to use that Surplus powder in ANY newer cases, Same cartridge or not, Or to use newer/different projectiles. im not saying i think it will explode, im just erring on the side of caution due to unknown variables.

best to reduce the powder charge, dump it right back in those old cases, reseat the old bullet and Use the Extra powder for Fertilizer.

Super Moderator

.............Considering the original factory load chrono's at close to 2400 fps from the short carbine bbl, it's fairly stout.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jugulater View Post
    ...really makes me wonder if the Ammo was loaded with the full length rifle in mind and not the shorter Stutzens and Carbines.
    Jugulater, the longer barrel rifles were all initially chambered for 8x50R Mannlicher (not to be confused with 8x50R Lebel). The switch to 8x56R was effected around 1931 and all the rifles so altered marked with an S on the receiver ring. Typically they were also converted to the stutzen configuration at the same period. So the round was not designed for the longer rifle version.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the horrible recoil. Most of it from guys who think .223 Remington is a real rifle cartridge.

Truthfully, I'd rather shoot an M1917 for long periods than the Mannlicher straight pull, but one has to do as needed.

Also, PPU through Graf & Sons mostly, has brass and bullets in the correct diameter (.329"). I have much in the way of lighter loads I found attempting to duplicate the factory load. I'll share.
    Go peacefully; teach the ignorant, comfort the distressed. Always be kind. Wear clean underwear and carry a gun.

Boolit Master
    If the ammo is that old I'd just dump the old powder and reload a starter level charge of fresh modern powder using the powder manufacturers loading recommendations.

Some powders can cause excessive pressures with short loads. Even those that normally don't might do so if the powder is degraded.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery View Post
    Jugulater, the longer barrel rifles were all initially chambered for 8x50R Mannlicher (not to be confused with 8x50R Lebel).

I've heard a lot of complaints about the horrible recoil. Most of it from guys who think .223 Remington is a real rifle cartridge
    That’s funny. I’ve actually had a few people ask me how much my 8.5# 223 kicks! Todd/3leg

Boolit Buddy
    jugulator,
    That's exactly what I did. Now I've just got to get to the range.

Brasso

Boolit Buddy
    I,ve downloaded to 20% for my full length rifle, and it was still a tooth-rattler. Combination of the stock design and light weight. Lost interest after that. I enjoy my Beaumont more!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............Considering the original factory load chrono's at close to 2400 fps from the short carbine bbl, it's fairly stout.

.............Buckshot
    Oh yeah. Mean stuff.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.