Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mold or Mould

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Mold or Mould

Do we cast our boolits in molds or moulds? I have seen both spellings and can’t remember, if I ever knew, what was correct. It’s not an easy question.

Some dictionaries say we cast we cast in moulds and find mold on old bread. Others say both are correct. Lee Precision uses “mold” and Lyman uses “mould”

Here’s an explanation I found.

https://writingexplained.org/mold-vs-mould-difference

Hope this will be of interest to someone.

Boolit Master

Difference between proper English the American English. Same principle for color vs colour and Aluminium vs aluminum.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I like mold....It is quicker to type out than mould..

i recently bought another mold.

Boolit Master
    When bored, I often search eBay, first by mold, then by mould. I do get different hits this way.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I was taught mold grows on bread and mould was a form to hold a liquid to cool or dry to a solid form . So an ice try is a mould .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    It used to be mold. E.C. Crossman, famed writer of the WW 1 era, once wrote that "Life is too short to spell it with a "u" each time."

Boolit Master
    I think penicillin was first made from bread mold.

Boolit Master
    I'm flexible. When posting here I talk about "boolits" and "molds". Anyplace else I talk about "bullets" and "moulds". If you don't speak the language the natives won't understand you.

Boolit Master

How about the very erroneous use of "smelting"? Unless we are extracting lead from raw ore we are simply "melting" lead for casting, we are NOT smelting anything!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    How about the very erroneous use of "smelting"? Unless we are extracting lead from raw ore we are simply "melting" lead for casting, we are NOT smelting anything!
    A backstop at the range being "the place or environment in which a thing (range scrap, in this case) came to be"(it wasn't range scrap before it got there), that makes it "a native metal, that can be mined at a profit"... which is the definition of "ore". As we are melting it "in order to separate the metal contained", we are, by definition, smelting.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    A backstop at the range being "the place or environment in which a thing (range scrap, in this case) came to be"(it wasn't range scrap before it got there), that makes it "a native metal, that can be mined at a profit"... which is the definition of "ore". As we are melting it "in order to separate the metal contained", we are, by definition, smelting.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Agree with sureYnot. When we take our clean ingots and MELT them to make our boolits, that is a different process than when we take scrap (rich ore), heat to liquefaction point, add a carbon source to initiate an oxidation / reduction reaction, pour the resulting alloy into ingot moulds, and responsibly dispose of the dross. Now if I may be excused to dispose of this moldy bread.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    No by definition we are NOT smelting range lead, we are simply recovering already extracted (from ore) lead that has already been refined. Recovering range lead is simply recovering already refined lead by separating the dirt stuck to it and is no more smelting than separating wheel weights from the gunk in the bucket. Besides that recovering range scrap is but a tiny part of it, we see "smelting wheel weights", etc all the time!

Another one is some folks calling Sabots Sa-Bots instead of Say-Bo, but then that's speech and not written text. When I hear someone say Sa-Bot I can't help but think do they say they buy building materials at the Home De-Pot?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Agree with sureYnot. When we take our clean ingots and MELT them to make our boolits, that is a different process than when we take scrap (rich ore), heat to liquefaction point, add a carbon source to initiate an oxidation / reduction reaction, pour the resulting alloy into ingot moulds, and responsibly dispose of the dross. Now if I may be excused to dispose of this moldy bread.
    Range lead is in no way "ore", not even close.

I have 15 or 20 mold's I need to sell ?

Boolit Master

Lol (at me), when writing about moulds/molds in the past at least twice I spelled it "Mole"! Of course I knew better but both times I found it only after rereading a post later, probably did it even more than that and just never noticed it.

I am not really sure which is correct Mold or Mould but spell check flags "Mould" however probably either would be correct.

RCBS says mould on the box so I guess that one is a mould.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Some dictionaries say we cast we cast in moulds and find mold on old bread. Others say both are correct. Lee Precision uses “mold” and Lyman uses “mould” .
    The general consensus around here is that a Lyman "mould" is almost always dimensionally incorrect, so it stands to reason that their spelling would be no different.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    No by definition we are NOT smelting range lead, we are simply recovering already extracted (from ore) lead that has already been refined. Recovering range lead is simply recovering already refined lead by separating the dirt stuck to it and is no more smelting than separating wheel weights from the gunk in the bucket. Besides that recovering range scrap is but a tiny part of it, we see "smelting wheel weights", etc all the time!

Another one is some folks calling Sabots Sa-Bots instead of Say-Bo, but then that's speech and not written text. When I hear someone say Sa-Bot I can't help but think do they say they buy building materials at the Home De-Pot?
    Sabots are woulden shoes people used to wear in old Europe. Maybe here too. How did it become part of a shotgun slug?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    The general consensus around here is that a Lyman "mould" is almost always dimensionally incorrect, so it stands to reason that their spelling would be no different.
    Maybe that’s why Lee molds are often off a bit, because they call theirs molds.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast