Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1894CL in 25-20

Boolit Buddy

Marlin 1894CL in 25-20

Just agreed to buy a Marlin 1894CL in 25-20. Looked at it a few days ago and decided to buy it today. It's fairly new but has JM barrel and magazine isn't as long as barrel. Marlins web site doesn't list it. When did they make these. I should have wrote down the serial number. Stopped at my LGS and ammo was $86 for 50 round box. Ouch.
    Can anyone recommend a mold? A brass supplier?
    Any quirks I should look for?

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master

Marlin 's 1894 CL was made in three calibers 25-20, 32-20, and .218 Bee. All had half magazines, They were made from 2005 to 2008. Lyman has a 257420 65 grain G\C mould that has worked well for me. As to brass, I make my own from 32-20 brass. Here's a very helpful link, this how I do it and it works great.
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...-easy-way.html

Enjoy your new rifle, you've got a good one
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Ask the seller if they have any ammo to sell you. It's kind of hard to find and spendy when you do.

Boolit Master
    Actually, you have the earlier version. I had two of these, the .25-20 and the .32-20. They were made from 1988 to 1993. I remember buying the .25-20 version back in 1996 used from a gunshop near where I worked and the .32-20 version from a friend of mine around 1999 because he moved away in 1991. They have a half magazine, JM barrels and the crossbolt safeties. I hunted with both but only ended up shooting a large squirrel with the .25-20 version. They're collectors items to some, and had I kept the two I had, I am sure I would have gotten the .218 Bee version some times later on. They're very handy little guns. I wish I had kept them, would be great beginner rifles for my son.
    Check Buffalo Arms, Track of the Wolf for new ammo, molds etc. I would also look on Gunbroker for brass, Lee I think still makes dies for it. They're are still reloading supplies for it. Montana Bullet Works casts bullets for it now.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

I want one in 32-20. My father uses one in .218 Bee and it is a great shooter. Way better than a 22 Hornet IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I happen to have one in each caliber; bought the 218 new and the other two @ local gun shows. Bee and 25-20 have scopes mounted. Have shot the Bee quite a lot, mostly reloads and it shoots walnut sized groups at 75-100 yards no problem (green walnuts right off the tree). Great shooting guns, but unfortunately, prices are going through the roof.

As far as ammo, watch for it at local gun shows, usually can be found for less than shop prices. All the die manufacturers make three die sets. Flat point jacketed bullets are a little hard to find though. Standard weight is 85-86 grain for the 25-20.

Boolit Master

LOVE these rifles, a good friend talked me out of the 218 after shooting it and borrowing it a couple times for ground hogs.

But I still have my 25 & 32 models. I shoot the 32 more but none recently. The 25/20 is still boxed and stored!!

I shoot my Savage 23 in 25/20 fairly often as I like it for coyotes. I recently bought the Lyman 257420 65G mold and cast a lifetimes supply for myself.

(If you have ability to size them, I can send you some to try before you buy to see if you like.)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

Love my 32/20 Marlin. I have 2, one with a tang site and is one of my 11 and 8 yo sons' favorite to bring to the range. They love racking the lever and the mild recoil.

Look for our member here, I believe, Grumpa to see if he has some formed 25/20 brass.

Boolit Master

And there was an NRA Commerative made in .25/20 with the bronze disk in the stock. I had one and rebarrelled it with a faster twist and a 22" barrel and my shooting partner has an unfired one that he won at an NRA banquet. They came with a 1:14 twist and I was only able to shoot the 257420 in mine without keyholing. A 1:12 twist Douglas barrel cured that. Great little shooters./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

The Bee version is pretty handy around the farm.Attachment 225719
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Had the 25/20 CL in the late 80s and no matter what was tried, many loads and different bullets, never could get it to shoot worth crapola. Even lapped the barrel and shot groups without the hand guard. Fast forward 15+ years and buy a 32/20CL the first cast bullet load I shot at the range 10 rds into 2.25" with 7 of them in1.25" @100yds. I dunno.

Boolit Buddy
    cwlongshot: thanx for the offer, have the mold on the way.

Boolit Master

Good show!

Happy to help!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    Just agreed to buy a Marlin 1894CL in 25-20. Looked at it a few days ago and decided to buy it today. It's fairly new but has JM barrel and magazine isn't as long as barrel. Marlins web site doesn't list it. When did they make these. I should have wrote down the serial number. Stopped at my LGS and ammo was $86 for 50 round box. Ouch.
    Can anyone recommend a mold? A brass supplier?
    Any quirks I should look for?

Shelly
    86$ ?!!! Holy be-gee-bees! Boy-howdy!

I'll second on the Ly257420, but do not forget to check NOE.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Yeah, my Dad bought 3 boxes of .218 Bee at full retail before I found out! Now he shoots my reloads with the Speer flat point for about $8/50....

Boolit Master

From the first Lee group buy I participated in. (remember those? Order in March and if you're lucky get your mould by Christmas)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25-20.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	225843
    My old Marlin likes to shoot them on top of a little bit of Green Dot.

Boolit Buddy
    Got it!!! It's a ducks unlimited version SN: 100609XX Fixin to order safety delete plug.
    Attachment 225850
    Attachment 225851

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    From the first Lee group buy I participated in. (remember those? Order in March and if you're lucky get your mould by Christmas)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25-20.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	225843
    My old Marlin likes to shoot them on top of a little bit of Green Dot.
    I've got that one as well, most accurate bullet in my faster twist lined barrel of the 3 molds I use. I 've settled mostly on the NOE 260283 in a plain based mold so I don't have to buy gas checks.

Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    Got it!!! It's a ducks unlimited version SN: 100609XX Fixin to order safety delete plug.
    Attachment 225850
    Attachment 225851
    You're gonna like that one, I'm green

I picked up a 1894CL classic in 25-20 today, missing the rear sight blade and elevator, but still had the manual attached to the lever and two zip ties on the lever, looks as if it's never been fired. Several years ago I bought $3k worth of reloading stuff in a all or nothing deal and there were several boxes of 25-20 ammo and empty brass and bullets. can't wait to try this one out.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast