WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: load advice for lee 170gr in 30 06

Boolit Master

load advice for lee 170gr in 30 06

I would like to make some hunting loads for a relative using lee 170gr PC'd gascheck-less in a 30-06 1-10 twist. over the years my cast rifle experience hasn't been very good compared to handgun calibers. I want to use no gas check if possible because the base is to big and I cant get them on flat or reliably so im tired of messing with em. just looking for enough speed for effective deer hunting. I have unique, 2400, imr 4227, h110, sr 4759, imr 3031, imr 4895, h380, imr 4350, reloader 19, imr 4831. so to many to test in other words, anyone know what will get me decent speed and accuracy with a gascheck-less bullet and expanding hunting alloy? or would you say I might be better off paper patching if im gonna go no gas check?

Banned
    Is this a new Lee mold? I just returned a C324-175-1R because the gas check shank was way to darn big

Boolit Master
    You got the right powders, for one wouldn't try the h110...that has a tendency to do bad things in low density loads...heard too many tales of that powder going boom boom with light loads.

However top on your list and twobid highly suggest is 2400 and 4227.

My go to 06 deer load is 20 grains of 2400 under the Lee 170 fn. Most recommend starting where Ed Harrison's "the load" states at 16 grains of 2400 (he used red dot). I have great success and accuracy out of my gun with the 20 grain load.

Quick load puts this at 20k psi...so we'll we'll under any danger...but I would as always suggest starting lower and dialing up on 2400 to find the sweet spot of accuracy for your rifle. Out of my rifle it gets to just at 1800 fps (slightly under)...powder coated and gas checked just as you are going for.

Unique is also a great one for reduced loads in 06. Tons of good options but I use 2400 all season and it puts meat on the table.

Edit-additional: I use plain ole clip on wheel weight at that velocity...never recovered one but seems to have great expansion.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Last edited by John McCorkle; 08-16-2018 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Additional info

Boolit Master
    maybe 2 years old but ya its too big by a pretty good margin

Banned
    You'll need to keep the velocity under apr 1700 fps with no GC
    I know that 12 grns 2400 under 165 is a sweet shooter
    Layman#4 Cast

A word of advice stick a gas check on it powder coated or not .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I use 16 gr. of Red Dot, but I do use a gas check. I mostly use this load for fire forming to A.I.
    It's very accurate, but as I just use to form brass I don't adjust the scope.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    I, 2nd that for the speed you will push it and can go soft also with the GC.I have a 06 and it is 1in 10 and all is GC I shoot with normal loads. Unless it is reduce load I will go with out one or PB.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    I'll also endorse this advise.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    there just so hard to get on, I have to bevel the bullet base with a cutter, then rotate my turret press half way between holes and use it like an arbor press to mash em on, and I end up with a bur of lead around the top of the check and im paranoid weather there square or not because I have no accurate way to guage it and I cant feel em bottom out very well. is the options without using one really that much worse?

Boolit Master
    may be a 32 cal gas check not sure off hand how much bigger they are??

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For loads with NO GC, check out the listings of .30-'06, 170-grain loads at this link:

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Other powders are listed, but showing Bullseye data here as example:

30-06 Springfield 170gr RNFPbb
    PMR: WLR CASE: Win TempF52 OAL: 2.980"

Pdr.______PWt__Vel__SD 50ydGrp
    Bullseye__5.0__878__8.8__1.05
    _________6.0__1004_9.3__2.3
    _________7.0__1119_8.6__2.0
    _________8.0__1217_7.6__2.0
    _________9.0__1327_5.6__1.56
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Have you tried another brand of gas checks? Lymans seem to be a looser fit than Hornadies to me.

I would think that standard load of 21 grains of 2400 would work for what you want to do.

Boolit Master

One of the vendors here makes checks and i seem to recall he offered a oversized check for 303 or big shank 30 cal.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

21 grains of 2400 works well for me with that boolit (with Hornady GC).
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 08-16-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    well, per popular request I shoved the check on anyway and loaded on 20gr 2400, bullet was about ww alloy pc'd and gas checked .3095 in size. and to my surprise it shot 3/4" at 75yds. I guess somewhere during sizing or firing the check gets shoved squarely, cause when I just pressed them on I could see some were standing crooked when stood in a row on a glass plate. I think before I was just trying too slow of powders with to high of speed, then blaming the gas check. but anywho thanks. if anyone has more popular loads that shoot well feel free to share.

Boolit Master

Glad it worked out!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    well, per popular request I shoved the check on anyway and loaded on 20gr 2400, bullet was about ww alloy pc'd and gas checked .3095 in size. and to my surprise it shot 3/4" at 75yds. I guess somewhere during sizing or firing the check gets shoved squarely, cause when I just pressed them on I could see some were standing crooked when stood in a row on a glass plate. I think before I was just trying too slow of powders with to high of speed, then blaming the gas check. but anywho thanks. if anyone has more popular loads that shoot well feel free to share.
    Hey hey congrats! Good luck on the hunt this year too.

Btw what powder coat and method are you doing?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I'm a little surprised to read that the Lee 170 for the 30-06 won't fit a gas check right-- also that the 324175-1R wouldn't either. I use both. The Lee 309-170 is a perfect fit with the Hornady 30 cal gas check, and the 324-175-1R is perfect with the Hornady 32 cal gas checks. Maybe the problem is your gas checks.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    @john mcCorkle I use an orange color from 'powder by the pound'. the price is higher than say harbor freight but their stuff didn't cover well for me. visually you can tell that pbtp brand is more airfloat particle size while HF is more like ultra fine sand, and I think that's why it sticks better with little static. but I just put heavy black airsoft bb's in a plastic container that has a triangle 5 on the bottom, add a spoon or 2 of paint and slightly pre heated bullets, then ya just shake the **** out of it. then I take skinny scissors and grab one between the groves tap it on the edge to knock off loose bits, stand on foil, bake at 400. and then colored boolits, you can leave the same powder in the container if your not super picky, or sift the bb's off and replace the powder to replenish the smaller particles that stick in a more smooth coat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast