MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banged up my finger at work!

Boolit Buddy

Banged up my finger at work!

I was at work on Tuesday and to make a long story short I ended up sticking the middle finger of my right hand into a small high speed fan. Thankfully nothing was broken, just two dislocated joints and a fair amount of skin damage.
    The guard on that fan had apparently came off somehow. The location of the fan is on the top of a vacuum loader that I can't see the top of. I stuck my hand on the top of the vacuum loader to see if it was still hot and it kinda just grabbed onto my finger.
    Be praying for a speedy recovery and no complications.

Boolit Master

I guess that'll teach you to keep your finger out of places it doesn't belong!
    Glad you didn't lose it!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Hope for a speedy recovery. Painful injury there. Fans can be dangerous. I have seen fingers lost to fans, probably bigger than the one you dealt with but those blades spinning arnt forgiving at all

Boolit Buddy
    I was up on about a 4 foot platform with guard rails on three sides. I'm very very thankful I didn't pass out and fall backwards off the platform.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a picture of my finger if anyone wants to see it.

Boolit Buddy
    It not your trigger finger I hope

Boolit Grand Master

We had a tradesman lose 3 1/2 fingers in a fan on the roof of the plant. Adjusting the thermostats "on point and had his other hand supporting him inside the fans housing. When the fan kicked on it took part of hand index finger and next along with part of middle finger. To much damage and dirt to reattach. This was a ventilation fan for the plant.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
    It not your trigger finger I hope
    Appears to be more important.

Boolit Buddy
    It's the middle finger on my right(dominant) hand. The only real damage is past the last joint so I will be fine. I might lose the nail on that finger, and there is a pretty good chunk of skin missing, but no internal damage. I still have feeling in the end of my finger. The last joint was dislocated and the end of the finger was bent at almost a 90 degree angle downwards.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomR View Post
    I was at work on Tuesday and to make a long story short I ended up sticking the middle finger of my right hand into a small high speed fan. Thankfully nothing was broken, just two dislocated joints and a fair amount of skin damage.
    The guard on that fan had apparently came off somehow. The location of the fan is on the top of a vacuum loader that I can't see the top of. I stuck my hand on the top of the vacuum loader to see if it was still hot and it kinda just grabbed onto my finger.
    Be praying for a speedy recovery and no complications.
    Sound like a lawsuit in the waiting. Can't compete in the weekend shooting matches or Sat. night bowling league. That was the only finger you picked your nose with. Can't sleep, having nightmares of killer fans chasing you. Can't signal to drivers that have cut you off. lol Hope for a speedy recovery.

Boolit Master

When I built industrial bandsaws for a living, I lost a lot of hide to carbide burrs in die grinders cleaning up plasma burn holes. Burr would bind and kick out and anything close by was in peril. The worst i saw (on hands any way) was we were loading a huge saw on the truck and one of the guys tried to reposition a block but got his thumb under the saw foot and the entire 6,000 pound saw was set down bfore he hollered. Popped the end of his thumb like a grape.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Did the company report it to OSHA?????
    I hope your company is paying for the injury and not charging you for time off.
    Workers comp injury.
    It is an OSHA violation to have a operational fan, with no guard, working on site.
    With the injury, the fine from OSHA will be outrageous.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Sound like a lawsuit in the waiting. Can't compete in the weekend shooting matches or Sat. night bowling league. That was the only finger you picked your nose with. Can't sleep, having nightmares of killer fans chasing you. Can't signal to drivers that have cut you off. lol Hope for a speedy recovery.
    My finger is going to be fine. My time off is paid. This was the first time the guard on any of vacuum loaders had come off and there was no way to tell it was off because it can't be seen by your average person.

Well, I banged my left had about 18 months ago while trying to loosen a bolt on my car. I didn't have insurance and with no blood, or true dislocation, I thought it would be OK. Ring finger. It moves fine during the day, but in morning it hurts like all get out to bend it the first couple of times. Good luck....

Boolit Buddy
    My wife changed the bandage on it a few minutes ago. I only have a small sliver of fingernail left, there is a pretty good gash on the right side of the finger and it got skinned up pretty good. Fortunately it doesn't hurt very much now that I got that god forsaken splint off.

Man it HURTS just to read these descriptions!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I worked around woodworking machinery all my life, I certainly understand how fast things can happen. Hope for a speedy and full recovery.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Did the company report it to OSHA?????
    I hope your company is paying for the injury and not charging you for time off.
    Workers comp injury.
    It is an OSHA violation to have a operational fan, with no guard, working on site.
    With the injury, the fine from OSHA will be outrageous.
    All workplace injuries where I work get reported to OSHA. My time off is compensated. The fan can not be seen from the platform I was standing on. They went a long time without having any injuries at work. They recently had three within a few weeks of each other and got an inspection from OSHA. It's generally a very safe work environment.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an appointment in the morning to see the orthopedic surgeon. I'm expecting they are going to want to perform surgery.

Boolit Bub

Does it look as bad as poor fella?Attachment 225957

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast