MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordered my pot...I'm officially in the club

Ordered my pot...I'm officially in the club

No turning back now. After the fiasco with the leading on the outside of the forcing cone and now having a box of bullets I can't use I figured I'd start casting my own. Not to mention currently I'll be doing 38 Special, 44-40, 45 Colt, and buckshot I figured its a smart move anyways.

So for my first purchase towards this I got the Lee pot 2nd from the right. I thought long and hard about which pot to get and I finally settled on the fact that I really do not care about speed or quantity so I do not want to deal with a bottom dropper and it's mess it creates. Once I saw Dualist1954 do some ladle pouring I knew that is what I wanted to do. Honestly I first ordered the smaller pot but then I figured I might as well get the larger one so I canceled and ordered the bigger one instead.

So it begins...

I guess my first and main question is where do I get good ingots and how do I know if they are good? I cannot and will not be sourcing wheel weights and scrap lead. So I will be buying ingots for this journey.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a good size choice, I've not done ladle casting but it can't be that hard. Grab yourself a hotplate to pre-heat your molds on, if the mold is already hot the lead will stay molten longer and have less defects/issues during casting. The Lee molds are cheap enough and decent quality to get you started with as well, have fun!

RE: Ingots - check the vendor section here on the forum and just get a 50lb box to start. I've had good success in my area watching craigslist sellers, checking the scrap yard for lead flashing/rolls of lead, and off the forum. Let someone else deal with cleaning and fluxing the lead for the first batch or 2, you can always look to berm mining yourself.

Factory ingots of known composition can be purchased from Rotometals.com
    Last edited by DerekP Houston; 08-16-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

+1 on buy some lead from our swapping and selling forum. Might even want to post a WTB (wanted to buy) post stating what you want to use the lead to cast for. Will no doubt get several offers, some of which may provide a pre-mixed alloy or the ingredients to mix a good alloy for your use intended.

Scap yard and WW scrounging makes your money go further but has a learning curve to it and will add an extra process to get right on the way to getting the bullets cast right. Enough time later to get into that after you have a chance to enjoy sending some of your own down range.

Excellent choice of pot. I have cast at least 8 or 9 ammo cans full of stash from one of those pots, in addition to what has already been shot. Those would be .30 caliber cans not .50 because picking up a .50 caliber can full of lead is not pleasant. A .30 caliber can holds plenty.

You might want to pick up a Lyman Little Dipper ladle. https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Casting.../dp/B001OPLJUU Good solid ladle with small spout that allows good control of pour as well as having a couple of "feet" so it can be set down without rolling. Handle can be mounted for left or right handed use if that matters to you. I like Lee molds fine, their ladle however is pretty pathetic. In a pinch a small metal salad dressing size ladle with the handle bent would work better.

Also +1 on get a hot plate. The solid surface ones are better for mold heating than the ones with exposed coils. If you find an exposed coil one you can set an old circular saw blade on it to spread out the heat so the mold heats evenly. Pre-heating mold really helps avoid "smiling" bullets from the hot lead solidifying as it hits the cooler mold wall. The lead flows around it and leaves a little curved "smile" in the side of the bullet.

You may also want a thermometer. Makes it easier to keep track of what temperature works best and avoid mostly used pot getting hotter, or adding material making the pot colder until it melts then comes up to temperature again. Not essential to getting started but useful addition and makes it so you have another data point to report if you have a problem you want help with. Lyman makes one but this one is a bit cheaper https://www.amazon.com/Tel-Tru-LT225...dp/B0055777EU/ and covers the range you need.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 08-16-2018 at 02:58 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Roto metals, Buffalo Arms, offer lead ingot of a known alloy. That's a decent pot and should do fine. 10Lb capacity? Unless casting the big bullets 365 grn to 550grn then it empties pretty quick. Now a good RCBS or lyman ladle and some moulds. A thermometer is also handy. The rowel #1 is a good ladle but may be a little big for that pots dia. Also don't forget safety glasses gloves and hat. Long sleeved shirt and heavy jeans.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I still have that little Lee 4# pot and have cast hundreds of bullets with a Lyman ladle and 2 cavity molds. I still use it from time to time but to cast crappie jigs.
    I have the 4-20 bottom pour pot also and have cast thousands with that pot and hooked up to a PID adds to the casting experience. I was able to get a used Pro Melt
    and have moth balled the Lee pot.

I have had good luck with the lead I have bought on the Swappin & Selling page and also from the Vendor page. Good luck hunting.

Boolit Master
    Sign up for the Rotometals emails and they will email you when they have a sale. Which seems like every month lately.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

You just entered on of the most in interesting rabbit holes in the shooting world! Welcome. Read lots here and ask questions when you need to. You will get many good answers.

I got into casting because of the poor quality of some of the commercial bullets that I purchased. Then there were the guys that took 2 months and still sent me the wrong bullets. You can’t go wrong by spending your money on casting equipment.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The pot is just the beginning. Get ready to start buying a lot of stuff. I started a year ago and still haven’t bought everything I think I need.

Before you start buying moulds, you should decide if you will want to use gas checks or not. I shoot big slugs in my .45-70 without them, but find I need them for smaller rounds. What calibers do you plan to start with? Hand gun or rifle?

An important thing to consider is a respirator. My blood lead level went pretty high so I now wear one when I am melting any lead. I know this is a controversial. Just do a little research and make your own decision.

Well good luck and keep posting about the adventure you are embarking on!

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Before you start buying moulds, you should decide if you will want to use gas checks or not. I shoot big slugs in my .45-70 without them, but find I need them for smaller rounds. What calibers do you plan to start with? Hand gun or rifle?
    45 Colt
    44/40
    357 Mag (6.3-7.5gr Unique)

All of these will also be sometimes black powder loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I guess my first and main question is where do I get good ingots and how do I know if they are good? I cannot and will not be sourcing wheel weights and scrap lead. So I will be buying ingots for this journey.
    IM Jetsfan-24 - he has nice lead and good prices. He also sends it nicely packaged. He'll pack a USPS box up to the max weight and REALLY piss off your mail delivery person.
    To make the metal a little harder, I watch Ebay for Linotype. I scored 40 lbs at $1 / lb the other day but $2 is a little more common.

How do you know how much you've hardened the lead while it's melting and how do you know from pure lead to whatever hardness, which you will need?

Boolit Buddy
    So it begins...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abandon-hope-all-ye-who-enter-here-2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	225605

How do you know how much you've hardened the lead while it's melting and how do you know from pure lead to whatever hardness, which you will need?
    Seriously though, check the Lead Alloy Calculator thread...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oy-calculators

Boolit Bub
    I'm just getting started in this myself, so I don't have a lot to offer. I've only cast one little "test batch" so far and the main thing I have learned is that the mold needs to be plenty hot to get decent boolits out of it. Preheat your mold and keep a steady pace so it doesn't cool down too much. The first few pours I made I would dump the boolits and look them over before pouring another set, which I think let my mold cool down. They started getting better after I picked up the pace.

I will agree that the Lee ladle is pretty pitiful. You'll be a lot better off with a Lyman or RCBS ladle.

If you need lead to get started I'd check with Czech_too. I got 21+ pounds of clean range lead ingots and a pound or so of pewter in the box to get started.

Good Luck!
    Dave

Boolit Master
    welcome to the addiction,plenty of good people on here to source lead ingots from and a lot of molds here for sale used or theirs always the group buys

Boolit Buddy
    Stay away from the group buy forum!!!!! LOL It will suck you into the money vortex.

So how important is lube vs lead hardness? I feel lube and hardness will be my biggest learning curves.

So how important is lube vs lead hardness? I feel lube and hardness will be my biggest learning curves.
    With the calibers you mention above I would save the money spent on a lube sizer and go to powder coating first off. I rarely lube a bullet unless it's for a black powder round. PC is a very easy process just read up on the alternatives threads. Happy casting. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    With the calibers you mention above I would save the money spent on a lube sizer and go to powder coating first off. I rarely lube a bullet unless it's for a black powder round. PC is a very easy process just read up on the alternatives threads. Happy casting. Gp
    You guys will laugh at this but I don't want to powder coat because I like the "old west" look of pure lead exposed bullets. So I'd like to use traditional lube. I know, dumb.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast