Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder Coating service

Powder Coating service

Looked through the Vendors, Sales, Swaps and did a search but nothing caught my eye. I'd like to try powder coating but don't want to invest in the materials and equipment without testing first. So I'm looking for an experienced someone to powder coat some of my bullets. I'd like to try them in my 45-70 rolling block and 38-55 Ballard. I'm thinking of 50 of each. I'd be more than happy to pay for time and trouble and shipping both ways. Send me a message if you can help out. Much thanks.

Normally I recommend any commercial powder other than Harbor Freight. In your case, I'll suggest it. A Cool Whip container is a decent shake and bake container. All you'd need is an afternoon when there are no significant others in the house, long enough to bake and ventilate the kitchen. Oven cleaner or the self clean cycle will suffice to justify any left over smell. If you bake a pie first, you can justify the clean up as the pie dripping.
    Or find a thrift shop toaster oven. It really is as easy as some claim.
    As to a thrift shop toaster oven, deals do exist. I got a convection model the other week for $5.99 at a Goodwill store.

Boolit Master

There is a vendor here that sells PCed boolits, check the vendor section to see if they offer what you need.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    I’m in northern va holler at me

Boolit Master

Smoke4320 in the vendor section. All of his powders are proven to work with shake and bake and he has the bb's and such too. Also has a post with proven instructions.

Get one of his sample packs with 3 1/3 pound samples ( a little goes a long way) and try the clear! Goes on white like powder sugar, easy coverage and flows smooth as glass.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Banned
    Guys, he doesn't want powder, he wants someone to PC some of his boolits for him to try.

Toymaker, if odfairfaxsub doesn't work out for you give me a PM I probably have over 50# of different 45-70 boolits coated or I could coat yours. I assume you have sizing dies.
    Please don't size before coating unless you sizing die is perfectly clean, the powder won't stick right

odfairfaxsub - Will do and thank you. Based on Grmps comment I need to cast some new bullets. My "stockpile" is all sized and lubed.

Grmps - Thank you too. Your advisory answered one question. Guess an acetone wash wouldn't hurt either.

Boolit Master
    Send them to me I will coat them for you, no charge, you can just pay for the shipping both ways. Just shoot me a PM for my address.

Thank you, Dragonheart.

Boolit Master
    If you are going to PC start out right. Bullets straight out of the mold, so they are not contaminated, and none of this save a few minutes by partial curing the PC. Do it right and follow the manufacture's curing schedule for the powder. Once you see for yourself the benefits of a properly coated & cured PC bullet you will be hooked. Good luck with your project.

Boolit Master

Your desire to try it first is understandable. You can even buy commercial powder coated or polymer coated boolits.

I stack my boolits base down on the pan so it takes me longer to PC than to run through the Star sizer but I just can't bring myself to just dump a batch onto the foil. Standing the boolits on their bases is the most time consuming part of the process. Other than that, I find no down side and many benefits to powder coating.

I went ahead and "invested" fully when I decided to PC. Bought a 3 color sample of Smoke's powder and his BBs; never tried Harbor Freight powder due to what I read here. Got a nice large $100+ convection oven at a garage sale for $20. Got a heavy duty baking pan, I think it was a 1/4 sheet cake pan, at Wal-Mart. The thinner pans were too flexible for the amount of weight that they would hold. I also got some Reynold's nonstick aluminum foil that is good for many batches before replacement. A colander drilled out to separate boolits from BBs and a catch pan for the powder and BBs and that's about all the equipment needed. It doesn't need to cost much.

Eventually I added a set of large hemostats from Harbor Freight to handle the boolits. That was a good purchase.

Among the benefits is that boolits slide through the Star sizer much easier after PCing than when using conventional lube. I would expect the same reduction in effort using Lee sizing dies.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned
    "Among the benefits is that boolits slide through the Star sizer much easier after PCing than when using conventional lube. I would expect the same reduction in effort using Lee sizing dies." ↑↑↑↑ AND Through the barrel