WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Torn betwix which scope to get,need opinions please

Torn betwix which scope to get,need opinions please

Hi , I'm looking for a decent scope for a Argie sporter I have , I has an old El paso weaver 2.5 on it at the moment but I want to put that fixed weaver on something else.

Anyway I have been looking ( hard ) at the $200-$300 range on price and I have whittled it down to 2 ,,,, The Nikon Pro-staff and the Vortex Diamondback ' both ( I believe ) are 4-12x40's.

Anybody care to give some opinions on these 2 scopes ?.

I can't decide which one is the better value or indeed the better scope for the money ,,, and the Leopold vx-1 , is that a decent scope for the price?.

I hope someone here can steer me in the right direction because i'm going crazy-nuts trying to decide.
    Keep breathing , it's good for ya...

Boolit Master

I have several Nikon Pro-staff's, very good scopes for the money. No personal experience with Vortex, several people I know like them well enough to have several. Leupold VX-1 is one of my favorite utility scopes. I think the new ""Freedom" scope, introduced to replace the VX-1 is going to cost Leupold a bunch of followers. I've installed two so far on two different rifles. Gritty, tight adjustment knobs, smaller adjustment range than the VX-1. Both had to be shimmed in order to be bore sighted, definitely not what I'm used to when working with their products. Just my opinion, other's will differ.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I don't have experience with recent production Leopold scopes but I have a new Vortex and I love it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy

Both will be good choices. I own 2 Vortex but am about to buy a Nikon Prostsff in 4x12 for a 22 rifle
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I'd say if you just can't make up your mind, draw straws since I think you will be well served with either one.

However, since you mentioned Leupold, have you checked the auction sites. I realize you seem to be leaning toward a 4x12 power but if you can live with a 3x9, there is a bunch of the older VX-lls available for $150-175 and as far as I'm concerned they are great scopes. The 4x12s seem to be a little harder to find. I got my first VX-ll 3x9 in 1969 and still have it along with about 15 others, 2 of which are the AO version.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Hey thanks guy's , I am ripping my fingernails out trying to decide here but I might be leaning towards the Vortex because after watching millions of reviews on both scopes the vortex seems to have a tad better glass or at least better or more coatings.
    Heck now i'm leaning towards the Nikon because that's how my mind is tumbling right now,,,, sheeesh I just can't make up my mind.
    Time to draw straws OR look at the auctions for tonight at least.heh Roysha .
    Nikon,,,, Vortex,,,, Nikon,,,, Vortex ,,,, AHHRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! ...

Remember the Vortex warranty, even if you break it they will fix or replace it. I own several of the Vortex scopes and am impressed with their value. Gp

Did it guy's and as gpidaho just mentioned about the warranty, no questions asked lifetime.
    I ordered the Vortex Diamondback from Opticsplanet , they had a coupon for free 2day air so the OTD price was $199 .
    I think that's a fair enough deal,, i'm happy now my brain can go on vacation for a tad , no more Nikon ,,,, Vortex,,, ect.
    Thanks fellas have a grand night.

Boolit Grand Master

You’ll be well served.

Boolit Master
    No reason for a 4 x 12, better off with a 3 x 9. You can buy a used Leupold for 150, that will do whatever you require. Just so you can say you have the latest and greatest, is a poor reason to spend money you don't have to spend, to get the same results.

The overly large ocular ring on most new scopes forces higher rings on some rifles. Old Weaver/Redfield/Leupold/Burris fan here.
    I've had great luck with Nikons, too. A 4x rimfire Prostaff has endured on an AR15 for years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    No reason for a 4 x 12, better off with a 3 x 9. You can buy a used Leupold for 150, that will do whatever you require. Just so you can say you have the latest and greatest, is a poor reason to spend money you don't have to spend, to get the same results.
    I have a decent amount of scopes , fixed, variable ect, and I thought I would try something a tad different than I already have.
    I would not call a $ 199 scope " latest and greatest " by ANY means.
    I have a couple of 3x9's and enjoy them, yes they serve their purpose well and the difference between those and a 4x12 for my purposes will prolly go unnoticed but I thought I would give it a chance,,,, we will see...

We would love your review and your opinion on the increase in magnification.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    My favorite scopes are Burris 3x9x40 and Nikon prostaff 2x7x32 Burris on my 308 ,Nikon on my 45-70 marlin slb.

I have the Diamond back and love it. Vortex is a great company that stands behind their product 100%
    I own Vortex scopes that cost from $200-$1000 and I love them all.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

I own a couple of Vortex scopes, one is the most expensive scopes I own Vortex Viper PST 6x24 EBR-2c MRAD illuminated reticle, amazing scope that is sitting on my MGM 6.5 Creedmoor Encore barrel. The other is currently on my new 28" Prohunter 300 WM Encore barrel, a crossfire 2 3x9 that I originally purchased for my 375 Hurt&Hurt, haven't had a chance to sight it in yet.

Awesome guy's thanks.