Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: .32S&W dies?

Boolit Buddy

.32S&W dies?

Hello. Can .32S&W long cartridges be loaded using .32S&W short dies, Lee dies if it matters? Thanks. lreed

Boolit Master

Should be just fine. Likely could even load 32 H&R Mag with them. Not sure about the longer yet 327 Federal, have never even handled one of them.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Yes they can.

You could also use .32 ACP dies with the correct shell holder, backing off to compensate for the difference in case length.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    You cannot crimp the bullet in the case using 32 Long dies on a 32 S&W cartridge. I know, I tried with Lee die set. I purchased a Lee set of dies for 32 S&W. The 32 Long dies work well for 32 H&R Mag and 327 F.M. but not for 32 S&W.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You can crimp .32 S&W Longs with .32 S&W or .32 ACP dies, but not the other way around.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Just chiming in....great info

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    You can crimp .32 S&W Longs with .32 S&W or .32 ACP dies, but not the other way around.
    ^^ This ^^ You can always back dies up, but sometimes you can't bring them down deep enough to seat and crimp a real short case, and both the 32 S&W and ACP qualify as short cases. The limiting factor on longer cases is the full length sizing for the fired cases. Not all of the older FL Sizing dies will necessarily have enough depth to receive the full length of the 327 FM case for instance. So far, I've been successful in using sets of 32 S&W L dies from Lee, Lyman and RCBS for S&W Long L, 32 H&R and 327 FM, but I haven't loaded any of the little shorties on any dies but my antique S&W whack-a-mole set, so I don't know how that would work.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Interesting read as I am looking for a 32 to play with and haven't purchased a set of dies yet.

So this brings up a question that I hope isn't a dumb one!

IF you have a set of dies for 32 S & W (32 short) - it makes sense that you can back the dies out to load longer cases. I've done it on other calibers. I'm not familiar with shooting and reloading the 32 however. In the set of dies for the 32 S & W (short), you won't be able to FL size the brass but you'd e able to "neck size" the 32 Long casing.

If you're shooting it in the same gun, the brass would be sized to the chamber from shooting. So the question is, if you are shooting it in two different guns with possibly two different chamber dimensions, does the smaller diameter 32 casing expand enough ghat it needs to be FL sized - which would of course require a FL sizing die capable of doing it full length that the 32 S & lW (32 short) seto of dies wouldn't allow you to do.

I'm looking at this from my reloading of 45 Colt. I only have one pistol that I shoot it in so I usually FL size new brass or range brass the first time and then just neck size it when I reload it the second time.

Not familiar with anything that might be "unique" to the 32 caliber casings of different lengths.

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    BBB, this is sort of what I’m talking about... some FL dies for straight wall pistol cases are simply bored straight through, so any length of the same diameter case can be used. So far I’ve been lucky and never run out of available depth on my 32s. This has held true with my die sets in red, orange and green boxes.

Froggie

PS Of course, with the tapered 32-20, all bets are off, but AFAIK they only come in one length.
    Last edited by Green Frog; 08-16-2018 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Add PS

I have some dies for 32 H&R Mag and of Hornady and use them on all the 5 32's I reload that is also 327. Like Outpost stated about to change the shell holder for 32ACP.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

That is what I use. I have never had a problem with them.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Thanks Froggie - that pretty much clears up that question!

The 32-20? An animal all to its own! I've been on the lookout for a decent shooter in 32-20 - was going to buy a Taylors Cattleman but overtime I have gone to order (three or four times now) they are all spoken for and I hate putting my name on a waiting list - I might die before i reach the top! Funny thing, I have a small tote with brass, dies, Winchester loading tool, Ideal tong/mold combo tool and most of a set of 310 dies - just waiting until the day I find the revolver in 32-20 with my name on it. With the luck I'm having, I'm thinking that it might be smarter to get a revolver in 32 that I can use a combo of brass lengths in - thus I am starting to gather 32 S & W loading suppose as they come along.

Thanks for the info on the sizing dies - a good thing to know and gives me options depending on what color box comes along.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    For a new 32-20 you might check Cimarron. I have one and it's a very nice old style revolver.

Boolit Grand Master
    BBB, i have two revolvers in in 32-20, both of which I kind of “backed into.” My 19-teens vintage S&W M&P came to me from a friend who used it in part trade for an old Maynard, and my Navy Arms/Uberti SAA copy just suddenly showed up in a local gun shop in like new condition but w/o box. It was just too good to pass up.

I,too have a variety of classic reloading tools in 32-20 including a Winchester tong tool and of course marked Ideal tong tool with appropriate dies. One important item I picked up was the Ideal push through sizing die in 32-20... in fact I actually found two of them! I wish I could find one of those for the straight sided 32 pistol cases (see how cleverly I got back to the thread topic there?). Has anybody ever seen the Ideal push-through die for FL sizing 32 S&W L? I’m thinking I may try to find the right size chucking reamer (since it’s a straight bore) and just make one deep enough to do all of the straight side cases. The same thing could be done by making one a couple of thou larger to check loaded rounds like the ones made for virtually every other pistol caliber.

Froggie

Froggie - if you're talking about the old Ideal/Lyman wham a sizer that you drove the casing in to and then used the push rod to remove, I did run across one for 32-20 - paid a bit ore than I should have but I wanted it to go with my gong tools, etc. - you know how that goes! Back to the 32 S & W though . . . I have never run across one. I have to believe they are out there but I've never seen one. I have one for 38 special (which of course will work for 38 Colt Short/Long), I think one for 357, 30-30, 8 X 57 Mauser, 30-06 and I think a couple more. As you say, I think it would be easy enough to make one for all lengths with the right sized reamer - might even be a good "short run" project to make some up to sell to others who like the old hand loading tools.

At some point, I'll run across a 32-20 revolver - when I least expect it I'm sure!

Guesser - when I was looking and going to order a new one earlier this past spring - I did have the LGS I use check Cimmaron and they had one available. By the time I returned the call to the LGS and they went to order it, it was spoken for. So, since I couldn't get one at that time, I ordered a Uberti 1851 7 1/2 R & M Conversion. At the same time, they were holding one of the new S & W M & P Sheild EZ 380s for me - when I went to pick up the Uberti and Shield, I made the mistake of looking at what they had in the case and a nice 70's vintage Beretta 84 with the original box - unfired came home with me as well. I'm thinning things out and kind of consolidating calibers so after bringing those 3 home, I figured I would wait on a 32-20 and see if I can't fine one used (Uberti) or run across a Smith M & P. That thinking may change if I can find a good used .32 that is chambered in a variety of the cartridges so I could shoot shorts, longs, etc.

I have several molds that will work, this post has cleared up some question I had on .32 dies so am keeping my eyes open for a decent used set and have several scrounging brass for me at the ranges they shoot at. Not in a hurry as I have plenty of experimenting to do with the new R & M conversion and the .380s. If I had access to the right machines, I'd seriously look at converting one of the Uberti R & M conversions in 38 special to .32 S & W Long - that seems like it would be a very enjoyable pistol to have to shoot.