Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Anyone have any experience with 80% billet lowers

Boolit Bub

Anyone have any experience with 80% billet lowers

I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations as far as a manufacturer with a great reputation. Ive been looking and researching but have not been swayed one way or another.

All the feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master

I've done many of both, no real difference in finishing them. I agree on the 5d tactical jig, it's amazing. I had a Modulus arms, which was good, but the mill rode on the inner surface of the guide plate. Their new ones looks even better than the original. I did the reviewer program to get 50% my next order and used it to convert my original to also do AR-10 and grabbed a billet AR-10 lower.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on 5D.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by marek313 View Post
    I did couple forged lowers and one billet. No difference in anything but price. Billet costs more because of time it takes for the CNC to mill it out. Not because its stronger as many think. From couple articles that I've read looks like forged are as strong if not stronger then milled lowers. I didnt see any differences so I use forged for everything but thats up to you.
    I used 80& lowers from https://www.80percentarms.com and https://daytonatactical.com without any issues.

By the way if you are just getting into this let me spare you time and money. Dont buy any cheap jigs like I did. The only way to do 80% lowers is in 5D tactical jig. Expensive but best design by far. I can do one at my own pace and still get it done in about an hour. Plus they come out so smooth I love that jig.
    Im going to check out 80percentarms right now. I am looking to add to my inventory sheets for my next gun show.

P.S. You live in Jersey like me so delete your post in case someone sees it as our laws are messed up and dont allow us to complete the 80%s.
    ADAM HERBERGER

Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club Member

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeMan View Post
    I've done many of both, no real difference in finishing them. I agree on the 5d tactical jig, it's amazing. I had a Modulus arms, which was good, but the mill rode on the inner surface of the guide plate. Their new ones looks even better than the original. I did the reviewer program to get 50% my next order and used it to convert my original to also do AR-10 and grabbed a billet AR-10 lower.
    Where do I get the 5D Tactical jig? I just Googled it but didnt find anything. I am probably going to go with forged though.
    ADAM HERBERGER

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Honestly Evil View Post
    Where do I get the 5D Tactical jig? I just Googled it but didnt find anything. I am probably going to go with forged though.
    https://www.5dtactical.com/

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeMan View Post
    Just found it. It looks very well made and the lowers look really fit and finished.
    ADAM HERBERGER

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by razorfish View Post
    Thank you very much! Im definitely buying this now for the Guntoberfest Gun Show.
    ADAM HERBERGER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Honestly Evil View Post
    Just found it. It looks very well made and the lowers look really fit and finished.
    It is, and I was down right impressed with the finish it left. I have a little bit of machining experience and can at least recognize a good finish when I see it, if not reproduce it reliably. The finish that came out of the 5D jig was amazing. You couldn't detect the different depth passes the way you could with my old modulus.

I don't have the newest updated version with vac port and the direct fit end mill...I'd like it but the original works so well I can't imagine much room for improvement. The big benefit is those huge side plates, but I got the upgraded steel sides anyways so that is a non-point for me.

Here's the link to my review video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzBtIWCeIwc

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset

Anyone have any experience with 80% billet lowers

Not for everybody. It's a bit expensive, but the machining is second to none. This billit lower is a juggurnaut tactical AR-10 lower
    And now it does AR-15, AR-10, Glock, 1911, and soon 10/22

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jessdigs; 09-17-2018 at 12:38 PM.