RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Help identify old shotgun.

Boolit Buddy

Help identify old shotgun.

This old single shot shotgun was sold through Simmons Hardware Co. way back when. I’m trying to determine if it’s a Stevens or what and if it has any collector value. If no collector value then I have a project in mind for it. If I end up using it for my project it would be nice to now how strong the action is.

And yes, it’s a 12 ga.

Removable hinge pin

Boolit Master

I suspect the KK stood for Keen Kutter, Simmons house brand, I believe. Hope this helps.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

The breech face is scary and says "wall hanger" to me. I don't think it's a Stevens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I think most of those old inexpensive shotguns had actions made of cast iron so I would second Texas's advice.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

That's one ugly breech plate...If you're going to make it into a project gun, it better be a very low pressure project. Hang it on a wall over the fireplace...it looks nice...but its in no condition to be fired as is.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Man
    I have an old H & R 44 shotshell that has a very similar profile. But I imagine there's a number of shotguns from the same era that have a similar profile.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, the breach face is an obvious issue. If you look carefully you’ll notice it’s broken out from the inside. Probably from being dry-fired too many times. It’s repairable.

I seen a very similar shotgun identified as a Stevens Model 93. Did the Stevens 93 have a removable hinge pin?

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

Remember that action is cast iron and not strong at all. I would not recommend shooting it with anything but the lightest loads. Not to be made into any kind of modern rifle.

Boolit Master

If you plan on making it into a rifle, think breach bolt thrust. A 12 gauge has about 5,000 pounds of thrust on the breach which is very close to a 45-70. These old actions will hold with many of the old BP cartridges. The breach face can be repaired and at the same time go with a smaller firing pin diameter. Problem is it may cost more to make the repairs than what it would be worth. Another option is to make it into a muzzle loader using 209 primers.

Boolit Buddy
    John Taylor,
    Thanks for the comment.

Bolt thrust is the critical issue and my calculation came to the same conclusion as yours so I was thinking more in the line of hand gun cartridge carbine.

I have a friend who is a professional TIG welder that can do a good job on breach face for next to nothing and I can do the rest. The value isn’t in making the gun usable again only but the experience gained in the process on my part is worth at least as much.
    Last edited by tbx-4; 08-16-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tbx-4 View Post
    John Taylor,
    Thanks for the comment.

Bolt thrust is the critical issue and my calculation came to the same conclusion as yours so I was thinking more in the line of hand gun cartridge carbine.

I have a friend who is a professional TIG welder that can do a good job on breach face for next to nothing and I can do the rest. The value isn’t in making the gun usable again only but the experience gained in the process on my part is worth at least as much.
    Welding is not a good idea, it will be as hard as glass. Best to drill it out and make a threaded insert or solder an insert in. A small shoulder will keep it from moving. I have made many of the smaller 410 actions into bunny guns chambered for the 32S&W. Working on one now that is going to use 28 gauge brass for a 58 cal. rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Welding is not a good idea, it will be as hard as glass. Best to drill it out and make a threaded insert or solder an insert in.
    Roger that!
    Thank you again!

Boolit Man
    24 gauge would be a better fit for a .58 rifle. 28 gauge would be good for a .54.
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA
    SASS #102029, Alias "Layte Comer"