MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: There's just something special about revolvers

Boolit Master

There's just something special about revolvers

You know, I've shot a lot of guns over the years, but nothing really compares to a revolver to me. There's just something about them. They're beautiful, they're accurate, and they're special. The crisp, almost hair trigger when shot as a single action. The authoritative click of the hammer when you pull it back. The astonishing amount of power they can handle. It all adds together to create what I would consider a work of art. They have a life and a character all their own. Something modern cookie cutter polymer semi autos will never have. They're all more or less the same to me. I still like them, and enjoy shooting them, but at the end of the day my revolvers will be the guns I never sell.

Smiths are my favorites, but Ruger can't be beat for a rugged carry or backwoods gun. I even have an old Colt Army Special circa 1917 that still works beautifully. It had a hard life as a carry gun, but I was able to bring it back and make it a shooter. It saddens me that Colt doesn't make affordable revolvers like that anymore.

Here's my 3" Ruger SP101 .357 mag and my 6" S&W 629 .44 mag. I need to add a .41 mag to the mix to complete the Keith holy trio of magnums.

Boolit Master

Dude, I could not agree more. I cover 22lr and 32 H&R thru 45LC in S&W pre-locks and I really love shooting them all! I think my favorites are the 627, 657 3" & 5.5" and the 610's. The power contained by them is amazing, the mechanical smoothness and durability of them and the accuracy are all really good.

I shoot some semi-autos also, but love steel 1911's and Witnesses, I do love shooting the MegaStar in 10mm. I have never owned a glock, not likely I will. But, yes I never go to the range without at least 1 revolver, an old 38 special blued 4"!

Boolit Master
    Except for a couple of Ruger mklll every think else is a revolver. I carry a revolver, I shoot a revolver, and sometimes hunt with a revolver. Yep, I'm a revolver man also!

Besides, I am too old to bend down and pickup the brass!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Dude, I so feel your pain. I have 2 herniated disks and it really is tough. I have seen this wire egg shaped thing with a handle for picking up brass... have been giving it serious thought!

Boolit Master
    The Op has in a short post,, said a lot.

Revolvers,, just seem to "fit" when you think of a handgun. Be it a DA or a SA,,, they are time proven to be a dependable work of art.
    I know if I had to get rid of my guns,, my revolvers would be the last to go,, with the very last being my SA's.

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Dude, I so feel your pain. I have 2 herniated disks and it really is tough. I have seen this wire egg shaped thing with a handle for picking up brass... have been giving it serious thought!
    I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but I tried one of those nut pickers from Lowe's (it looks a lot like the brass picker that's advertised and much cheaper) but it didn't work very well. This was on a grassy area, cut pretty low. Of course you might have better luck than I did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but I tried one of those nut pickers from Lowe's (it looks a lot like the brass picker that's advertised and much cheaper) but it didn't work very well. This was on a grassy area, cut pretty low. Of course you might have better luck than I did.
    I was afraid of that, I just want to pick up brass without pain. But, I have a feeling that nothing but me will pick up the little 32's.

Boolit Buddy
    I havent been shooting as long as many here and i dont have that many handguns but I did manage to pick up Ruger GP100 Match Champion. I have couple striker fired 9s and a 45acp but me and my daughter really like that wheel gun. My favorite toy to play with when I watch TV. I think my Ruger needs a bigger brother so I have 45LC/44Mag on my mind now.

I have a lot of S&W revolvers, one Colt NS 45, 4 Ruger 3screw SAs and a dozen auto loaders all
    Target Type except for a Walther PP my only gut buster. My first target grade gun was a K22 when
    I was a kid. It doesn't make sense to me but it seems that I can shoot S&W revolvers better that
    autos. I have had several Gold Cups and enhanced 1911s but I could outshoot them all with my
    25-2 acp. It may be that the S&Ws are keepers and other stuff is just passing through and I don't
    get enough trigger time on them to give them a fair shake. I have bought one plastic pistol new.
    A SIG mosquito when they first came out, at top dollar of around $400. Worst mistake I have made since buying a Rem 742 back in 1966. No more plastic for me.

Boolit Master
    my first centerfire pistol was a colt combat commander . it was nice but carrying it on the tractor lead to a lot of lost brass. so I got a ruger Blackhawk in .357 4 5/8 inch barrel. it was great no longer chasing brass. still have it. I have been a wheel gun man ever since have many of them a lot of three screw rugers un altered.

For those of us who are getting up in age, or have bending over issues, this is just the ticket:

https://www.harborfreight.com/ez-rea...ool-62752.html

Costco sells them in a two-pac for the same price, in the automotive section. If you ever go to a SASS match, almost every gun cart has one of these hanging on it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Oh, and over three quarters of my handguns are revolvers.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I bet it would work great, I have one that I pick up rocks out of my garden with.

Boolit Master
    I have a few of the ones that have a flex able shaft . push in the top of the handle and the 4 fingers open. great for picking up brass and fishing out wrenches and nuts and bolts that drop into tight places.

I would be happy with just two more- An old model Colt Detective Special and a Ruger old Model 41 magnum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Me too--I mostly shoot 9mm if I shoot an auto so I won't have to chase the brass. But almost all my favorites are round, and mostly Smith's, though I've a fair few Colts and 3 DA Rugers of various calibers. (That trio in my avatar are my absolute favorites. But you can't reload 22"s)
    Revolvers just speak to me in a way that the plastic, fantastic bottom feeders will never match.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

rintinglen, those woodsman are my favorite also. I'm a long time hand-gunner, and like revolver, but the 1911 is KING for me.

Boolit Master

Wheelgun,
    I have 8 bad discs, but I've HATED PICKING UP BRASS since I started at 4yrs old. My first job in "shooting". I'd stand 30ft behind my older Family members and dash in while they took a break at the side to load mags.

Preferred Revolvers ever since. Besides the BEST HANDGUNS in the World are COLT and SMITH & WESSON Revolvers. And RUGERS.

Of course I love my all Steel 1911's, 1903's and WALTHER PP's. P-38's and Luger's. But LORD I hate picking up the brass. I have had a "can picker upper" for 20yrs. I made brass collection can's to go with them for my old SASS Club. You take a 1 lb coffee can, cut off the top and bottom. Attach a piece off 1/4" hardware cloth to the bottom so the dirt and small rocks will fall thru. Then screw a 3ft piece of old broomstick to the side. Now a days a lot of people use the roller cage nut collector's that MIDWAY sells. I take a folding grabber to the indoor range.

But back to Revolvers, I think I have about 6 revolvers for every auto I own. Most of those are all my Favorites. My favorite is usually the one I'm holding in my hand at that moment. There are even a couple that have in excess of 50,000rds thru them.

Nothing in the world like holding a matched pair of COLT SAA's, one in your right hand & one in your left. Squeezing off alternate shots and hearing a ding with each one.
    Last edited by Walks; 08-15-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I did not really get into pistols period until I was pushing 60. And at that it took me a while to get hooked on revolvers. But it happened.

Started with a 22 + yr old Heritage Rough Rider switch cylinder in .22lr and .22mag.
    I just never could get it to shoot well with .22lr. My father in law had gifted me several boxes of .22mag so I put the mag cylinder in and took it to the range with some family for some good time shooting.

Boy that thing was a favorite, and it was putting them all in nice tight groups too!

But I wanted something I could reload, so I started looking at .32's. .327 fed, .32 H&R mag, which lead me to the .32sw long. And I found a pair of H&R double action revolvers with 2.5" barrels. One blued, one nickle. Nickle did not shoot terribly accurate. But at 20 feet they'd all go in the same coffee mug. Little blued one I called blackie, and at 20 feet it has put 6 rounds into an inch circle offhand.

So then I wanted one with a longer barrel, more accurate. Eventually I found a Ruger new model Single Six in .32 H&R. And boy that one just drills those .32sw longs as nicely as I could ask for.

Yeah they are growing on me.
    Something about that sound of cocking the hammer back, hearing the cylinder lock into place.

I started with revolvers. Then a friend talked me into autos. 30 years later I’m back to revolvers. I just like them better. I also like the fact I don’t chase brass.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast