MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: There's just something special about revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Even the ammo is better. Semi auto ammo is constrained by what feeds. In a revolver, a bullet can be pretty much anything you can imagine. Cast of 20-1, they are art.

Attachment 226395
    And shot loads, wax bullet loads, bisquit dough bullets, multiball loads, like you said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    You know, I've shot a lot of guns over the years, but nothing really compares to a revolver to me. There's just something about them. They're beautiful, they're accurate, and they're special. The crisp, almost hair trigger when shot as a single action. The authoritative click of the hammer when you pull it back. The astonishing amount of power they can handle. It all adds together to create what I would consider a work of art. They have a life and a character all their own. Something modern cookie cutter polymer semi autos will never have. They're all more or less the same to me. I still like them, and enjoy shooting them, but at the end of the day my revolvers will be the guns I never sell.
    It sounds like you and I are twins who were separated at birth... At the very least, we obviously have very similar DNA. There is something about the precision of a well-built revolver that gives a feeling that nothing else can give.

Boolit Buddy
    Every revolver that I have sold has been regretted. Not so with my semiautos....

I don't hold too many guns in an ecstatic mindset, but revolvers are as close as I can get to that. I will always have more excitement over a revolver in a gun shop or a for sale ad than any semiauto when looking.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Probably something close to 90% of my most amazing hand gun shots have been made with- wait for it -revolvers! I will walk past 100 semi-autos to look at a single revolver in the dealers case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Probably something close to 90% of my most amazing hand gun shots have been made with- wait for it -revolvers! I will walk past 100 semi-autos to look at a single revolver in the dealers case.

So .... that’s why revolvers are much less plentiful in gun cases these days! I have been trailing behind Texas By God when I should have been out ahead of him!! Geeesh!

I know just how you feel. I walk up to these sales counters and just run cold if it’s just autos in there.

Give me the round shooters every time.

I figure all that ammo in today’s auto loaders is to chase a prospective target to a common place. Run it dry doing the first Mag and then settle down on the second Mag and maybe git’em with one of those?

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug480 View Post
    I've been a 1911 guy since the get go, and I've tried so many others, CZ, Glock, S&W, Steyr, H & K, Sig all fine guns but my wife says I'm 32 going on 60 and she may be right, nothing turns my switch like an old school wheel gun. Went BIG for the first one 480 Super Redhawk, and I'll never turn back.. now I'm hunting for a bisley in 4 5/8.. those 44 flattops really look appealing.
    I will clue you in, though it appears you have things pretty well figured out:

The 480 Ruger is one hell of a cartridge and Rugers are quite capable chambered in them.

Before I traded my beloved peep sighted 9.5” 44 Mag SRH off for a 7.5 in 480 in a SRH, I did a lot of research. I found that while the 475 Linebaugh is an excellent round, one hade to spend a good deal more on the revolvers to fire it and that the 480 was not very far behind the 475 .... some but not enough to justify the added cost for ordinary shooting or hunting.

It is too bad the cartridge does not catch on more than it has but those are the breaks.

There has been issues in the past of cases sticking with max loads. I found that 1 gr. Under max with H110 or Lil gun takes care of that fully and does not require squeaky clean chambers either.

Enjoy

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba w/a 45/70 View Post
    Every revolver that I have sold has been regretted. Not so with my semiautos....
    For the most part I agree with you, and would lump leverguns in the same group. I enjoy shooting semi-autos to some extent but they just don't "grab" me.
    One of my biggest regrets was selling my Smith 36 many years ago as a teenager to fund a <gasp> Ruger Mark II (2nd biggest regret was trading away my pre-safety Marlin 336T). To this day that Ruger only has a spot in my safe because I just about refuse to sell ANY gun (too many regrets). The one exception is the High Standard Sentinel Deluxe .22 9-shot that I also sold about the same time as the 36. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, yet my dad's identical piece was a tack-driver. I don't miss that one much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba w/a 45/70 View Post
    I don't hold too many guns in an ecstatic mindset, but revolvers are as close as I can get to that. I will always have more excitement over a revolver in a gun shop or a for sale ad than any semiauto when looking.
    Ditto. Same goes for Marlin leverguns for me. Probably the top 3 items on my wish list right now would be a Smith 57 or 657 and matching Marlin 1894's in .41 Mag and .357.

Boolit Grand Master

Agreed the Ruger 480 occupies a niche and is a rather under rated and phenomenal cartridge. I regret selling a few guns including a CCL Marlin 41. Member TUG bought it here and is in good hands.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My favorite handguns other than my BHP are wheelguns. Currently have five in .38 Special, my favorite handgun round. Ruger Service Six, S&W 10-5 and 637-2, Charter Arms Undercover, and Rossi 461. All of them, even the snubbies, are fun to shoot and more accurate than my shaky hands can take advantage of.

Plastic bottom feeders do have their place, I have four Glocks and find them to work perfectly for their intended use. The biggest thing I like about them is that parts are dirt cheap and available anywhere, and the only tool you need to work on a Glock is a thin cylindrical object. Plus, if one of the Glocks gets stolen or damaged it can be instantly replaced at any gun shop. When I'm fishing in the creek or sweating buckets on a 95 degree day you can bet I'm carrying a Glock and not one of the blued steel and wood pretties!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

In Remembrance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM000129.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	226762
    Yeah, I know whatcha mean! I take these Pietta .44-40's out to drool at every so often, and I SO miss the early '60's S&W's I had to sell!!
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Grand Master

Love my Colt and Smith revolvers! I just bought a Ruger Super Red Hawk. It shoots surprisingly well.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

More revolving eye candy... Centennial 1860 - 1960 New Army, unfired. I have another 1860 (Uberti)Attachment 226778Attachment 226779 that is my shooter, and what a shooter it is!
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234