Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: 1F powder in a 12ga shotgun

Boolit Bub

1F powder in a 12ga shotgun

Anyone here using 1F powder in their 12ga shotguns>>
    I have been told it produces less pressure and better patterns.
    "It's a good day for something"

Boolit Grand Master

I tried Swiss Fg in my TK2000, with multiple wads, and could not measure one bit of difference pattern wise from Goex FFg. I'd stick to FFg, and may even try FFFg if I was going to keep to lighter loads.

Boolit Master

I used to use PYRODEX Cartridge, which is equivalent to 1F, to reload 12ga shells for COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING, BP Class.
    I used a fixed volume measure and recipe that another shooter had given me. WIN AA hull, and a WIN Red wad, 1 1/8 of shot. Just scrub with bronze brush and HAR TRIGGER'S Special BP Solvent. Never a problem.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I use whatever leftover homemade powder I have laying around for the shotguns. Some of it is even bigger than 1F, more like Goex Cannon grade. It all works, patterns are the same with whatever I use. Shotguns are so easy to get to work well.

Every gun has its preferences. Some of mine like 1.5F Goes Olde Eynsford but have not done anything other than plinking, no long distance workups or anything. My shoulder likes 1.5F!
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Yes, I found the wad stack makes a way bigger difference than the powder does. Once I started using cardboard wads like the stickey above explains I got much better patterns, and it all just started to work.

Boolit Master
    I was watching several videos of the world championships and they have black powder trap and skeet as well as steel and paper targets and saw that the shot gunners had very little smoke when shooting as compared to the long range people? Lighter loads maybe or different powder or ??????
    John

I always thought that the larger granulations of some powders burned dirtier and possibly not as completely and quickly as smaller granulations.

Perhaps every powder and bore size has different fouling characteristics.

For instance, using a musket cap instead of a #11 cap may even make a difference in the burn rate.

Boolit Master
    i use 1 FG. in my BROWN BESS witch is a 72 cal. smooth bore. basically a 12 gauge shoot gun.when i shoot it as a shot gun, or as a MUSKET with a round ball and it is the powder of choice. so yes i have used it, and like it.

Boolit Bub
    i use 1f goex in my 10 gauge double barrel bp shotgun and have no complaints!

Boolit Master
    no matter how dirty it burns, what ever grade of powder, after you are done shooting, bottom line you have to clean the weapon.

Boolit Buddy
    1F is a fine shotgun powder. It gives equivalent or better patterns for me in 12 and 10 gauges as 2F powder and produces less recoil. Plus it is the granulation recommended by Mr. Starr for most shotgun work.

My smoothbore is a .62. I've yet to come up with a "definitive" load for shot; more trials are needed. I shoot mostly prb in the gun and 3F gives pretty good accuracy past 50 yards. Firing three-shot groups with 70 grains of Goex 3F, a .600" lead ball and .015" patch consistently prints just under 3" at 50 yards. The last deer I killed was with this load.

For shot patterns I agree with Nobade about the wad stack. In smaller bores, including the 20ga, 3F & 2F do very well.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.